2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

I do have warranty. Waiting to talk to Mazda and praying they have the head and loaner. Can they try to say it is just the gasket.
No. Both jobs are the same amount of work. They will clean and inspect. If it's only the gasket then they will just replace gasket. But if it's the head, you'll get a new head.

There is a lot of extreme pressure inside an engine. If they only replace the gasket when the head is still cracked, it's still gonna leak and you'll end up right back at garage.

Just get it in there and stop worrying about that.

so just dropped it off and it drove here fine for about 25 min highway drive, then we stopped in dealership and it started to shake at idle so whatever it is just got worse. I would assume some oil got into combustion chamber and causing misfiring. No loaner today but they will get us one within a day or 2.

I do have warranty. Waiting to talk to Mazda and praying they have the head and loaner. Can they try to say it is just the gasket.
You have warranty and you should take your CX-5 to a reputable Mazda dealer for the repair as soon as possible. Do bring these related TSB and Service Alert found earlier in this thread and show them to the Service Advisor. Here’s a YT video showing the oil leak from the back side of the 2.5L NA with CD near cylinder #3 area caused by the cracked cylinder head. So far from the pictures and videos I’ve seen, this’s a common area for oil leak from a cracked cylinder head on the 2.5L NA with CD. You can show the SA this YT video too.

A failed cylinder head gasket usually causes only some internal coolant leak and loosing compression, rarely the internal oil leak. It won’t be an external oil leak like the video showed. Of course if the Mazda dealer insists it’s the head gasket problem, they still need to remove the head like Jack Rabbit mentioned previously. The oil leak will still be there and obvious to see with cracked head re-installed. I really don’t believe any capable service tech at a Mazda dealer would think your problem is a failed head gasket, with all the technical info and experience they have in their hands.

Last edited:
so just dropped it off and it drove here fine for about 25 min highway drive, then we stopped in dealership and it started to shake at idle so whatever it is just got worse. I would assume some oil got into combustion chamber and causing misfiring. No loaner today but they will get us one within a day or 2.
Thanks for the updates, and please keep us posted. Can you tell us how many miles on your 2.5L NA with CD; and the trim level and FWD or AWD of your 2018 CX-5?

Mazda 3 Skyactiv-G 2.5 N/A with C/D (2019 year 20.000 km.) - really interesting and detailed process of removing the head and welding the crack. He is speaking Russian but everything is clear without a verbal explanation:

You should be safe. At the points they redesigned the cylinder head for warranty repairs, you would think that all vehicles manufactured afterwards would include the redesigned heads.
Is there any information on, since what year Mazda has started using the redesigned head for Skyactiv G N/A? In other words, what years of this engine don't have this problem?
Or Mazda uses redesigned cylinder head for repairs only?

Is there any information on, since what year Mazda has started using the redesigned head for Skyactiv G N/A? In other words, what years of this engine don't have this problem?
Or Mazda uses redesigned cylinder head for repairs only?
Factories are very heavily resource dependant(building, space, machines, equipment, employees)
Hence they wouldnt waste line space to just manufacturer an engine for warranty repairs while continuing to manufacture defective engines.

The whole head was redesigned and the whole production line would have been converted over.

My 2018 has been good this far but this problem started with 2018 NA and is also the 2019 NA and Turbo's. From what I recall, the tsb came out in 2019 or 2020. Whether the 2020 model year has/had the problem would be questionabe? There may be a report of a 2020 in the threads/posts. You would need to read the other cracked head threads/posts to find out. As far as the head problem, one would think the 2021, 2022 and 2023 years would be ok.

Last edited:
Factories are very heavily resource dependant(building, space, machines, equipment, employees)
Hence they wouldnt waste line space to just manufacturer an engine for warranty repairs while continuing to manufacture defective engines.

The whole head was redesigned and the whole production line would have been converted over.

My 2018 has been good this far but this problem started with 2018 NA and is also the 2019 NA and Turbo's. From what I recall, the tsb came out in 2019 or 2020. Whether the 2020 model year has/had the problem would be questionabe? There may be a report of a 2020 in the threads/posts. You would need to read the other cracked head threads/posts to find out. As far as the head problem, one would think the 2021, 2022 and 2023 years would be ok.
The cracked cylinder head problem on the 2.5T started from the 2016 CX-9 which came out as a new design with a new 2.5T which is based on the SkyActiv-G 2.5L NA. The cylinder head has to be modified to accommodate the turbo. It took a while to expose the weakness of the revised cylinder head and the common symptom is coolant leak.

The cracked cylinder head problem on the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation started from the 2018 CX-5 with a new 2.5L NA with CD which is based on the SkyActiv-G 2.5L NA. The cylinder head has to be modified to accommodate the cylinder deactivation. It took a shorter time to expose the weakness of the revised cylinder head and the common symptom is oil leak.

What is it in common? A reliable cylinder head has become problematic on durability after it’s been modified.

Although Mazda has modified both heads for the cracking problem, but the effectiveness is still remain to be seen IMO.

Thank you!
Just curious, is there a way to determine (visually without disassembling) if the head is re-designed or not? Maybe there are some specific signs of the modification like reinforced ribs or something else?

.... The cracked cylinder head problem on the 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation started from the 2018 CX-5 with a new 2.5L NA with CD which is based on the SkyActiv-G 2.5L NA. .....
....Although Mazda has modified both heads for the cracking problem, ....
I know that you do your homework very well yrwei52, but nevertheless I cannot find anything in print where Mazda admits to a cracking issue with the NA head, or has revised the NA head to correct a problem. We're all well aware that they have admitted to a significant problem with the 2.5 Turbo head, and have issued multiple revisions of the TSB which documents that situation. But that particular TSB has always been limited to the 2.5T engine, in multiple model years.

The only thing I've seen in print from Mazda relative to the NA head is the numerous revisions of the TSB which describes the availability of the "complete" NA cylinder head assembly, with all valve train components installed. Now although I've always considered this to be somewhat odd on their part, Mazda has given no indication that they did this to address a problem with the NA head cracking (or any other issue for that matter). It's been basically the same nebulous description on every revision of the TSB, going all the way back to the first one on 7/24/2020. Now is it possible that Mazda took this action because they were getting so many warranty replacement NA head requests? Yes, that's possible, and a revised NA head is as well. However, I've never read even a hint of that happening.

And going beyond what Mazda has published, I've also seen no systemic NA head issues reported, as there have been with the turbos. Yes, there have been a few reports of NA head-related issues here and there, but nothing anywhere near the turbo situation. And some of those NA issues that I've read are somewhat questionable (engine type not positively identified, ....) and/or have no follow-up posted.

But perhaps you've seen something that I have not. And if so, you can post back to report what you've found. This is not intended to minimize potential issues with our vehicles - just trying to keep the correct score on the board ;)

I know that you do your homework very well yrwei52, but nevertheless I cannot find anything in print where Mazda admits to a cracking issue with the NA head, or has revised the NA head to correct a problem. We're all well aware that they have admitted to a significant problem with the 2.5 Turbo head, and have issued multiple revisions of the TSB which documents that situation. But that particular TSB has always been limited to the 2.5T engine, in multiple model years.

The only thing I've seen in print from Mazda relative to the NA head is the numerous revisions of the TSB which describes the availability of the "complete" NA cylinder head assembly, with all valve train components installed. Now although I've always considered this to be somewhat odd on their part, Mazda has given no indication that they did this to address a problem with the NA head cracking (or any other issue for that matter). It's been basically the same nebulous description on every revision of the TSB, going all the way back to the first one on 7/24/2020. Now is it possible that Mazda took this action because they were getting so many warranty replacement NA head requests? Yes, that's possible, and a revised NA head is as well. However, I've never read even a hint of that happening.

And going beyond what Mazda has published, I've also seen no systemic NA head issues reported, as there have been with the turbos. Yes, there have been a few reports of NA head-related issues here and there, but nothing anywhere near the turbo situation. And some of those NA issues that I've read are somewhat questionable (engine type not positively identified, ....) and/or have no follow-up posted.

But perhaps you've seen something that I have not. And if so, you can post back to report what you've found. This is not intended to minimize potential issues with our vehicles - just trying to keep the correct score on the board ;)
Here is the TSB for the CX5 NA CD models. In the keywords of the tsb include oil leaks, coolant leak, valves, low compression, hla, rocker arm, warp head, etc.

While it doesnt specifically note all the reasons for replacements, several posters have mentioned there CD heads were cracked and/or were told by Mazda dealerships there heads were cracked.

Funny thing is that you have some posts on the NA CD threads wondering whether the turbo has the same problem...just like the turbo threads downplay then CD problem.

Regardless of what model or engine, it seems to be systematic across the CX platforms up to and including 2021.

If the oil and coolant leaks were only due to a head gasket failure, they wouldn't replace the whole head and there would be no reason for this TSB. Likewise by the tsb only mention warp head and not cracked heads, that leads some credence to victim blame the customer for overheating the engine, whereas if they noted a cracked head, then it definitely would not be able to dispute it as a manufacture defect.

And the lack of clarification by Mazda on their tsb is just that.
Companies always will be as vague as possible in response to limit their accountability, legal action and government oversight.

Attachments

• MC-10202774-0001 (1) (2).pdf
    268.6 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
And the lack of clarification by Mazda on their tsb is just that.
Companies always will be as vague as possible in response to limit their accountability, legal action and government oversight.
And that's the exact point that I tried to convey in my post. We expect automakers to always sweep problems under the rug, but Mazda DID voluntarily come forward and admit their issue with the turbo cylinder heads. And they also did voluntarily present the information about the valve stem seal problem in the 2021 Turbos as well. And they've also distributed TSBs describing multiple CD-related issues over the past few years.

Based on the above, it seems to me that, when compared to most (all?) other automakers, Mazda has been VERY forthcoming recently in publicly describing and admitting to problems with their vehicles, where silence or denial is normally expected. So IMO, what they've been doing gives them enough credibility to make me believe that they're not currently aware of any systemic, widespread issue with the NA cylinder heads.

And AFA individual NA cylinder head failure reports, anything like that is always all about the numbers. I haven't personally tried to keep track of the number of CREDIBLE reports of cracked NA heads, but I believe for certain that number is very low (i.e. somewhere around the very small failure rate that any other auto make/model would be expected to have). However, if someone can factually show that number to be higher than the typical very low failure rate, I'd be very willing and interested to read that information.

And AFA individual NA cylinder head failure reports, anything like that is always all about the numbers. I haven't personally tried to keep track of the number of CREDIBLE reports of cracked NA heads, but I believe for certain that number is very low (i.e. somewhere around the very small failure rate that any other auto make/model would be expected to have). However, if someone can factually show that number to be higher than the typical very low failure rate, I'd be very willing and interested to read that information.

NA CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation Engine Repairs - Report In

This thread has 5 confirmed cases on cracked cylinder head with oil leaks on 2.5L NA with CD.

You’ll see some cracked head reports on the 2.5L NA with CD in other Mazda forum and YouTube, in addition to NHTSA complaints.

But I’d admit the number of cases on cracked cylinder head on the 2.5L NA with CD has to be much less than the 2.5T, and the oil leak symptom by the cracked head usually happens in early stage of the engine life.

Then the hydraulic lift adjuster problem could show up when the 2.5L NA with CD is getting more miles.

Last edited:
NA CX-5 with Cylinder Deactivation Engine Repairs - Report In

This thread has 5 confirmed cases on cracked cylinder head with oil leaks on 2.5L NA.

You’ll see some cracked head reports on the 2.5L NA with CD in other Mazda forum and YouTube, in addition to NHTSA complaints.

But I’d admit the number of cases on cracked cylinder head on the 2.5L NA with CD has to be much less than the 2.5T, and the oil leak symptom by the cracked head usually happens in early stage of the engine life.

Then the hydraulic lift adjuster problem could show up when the 2.5L NA with CD is getting more miles.
Yes, I'm familiar with (and also participated in) the threads you referenced. As always with any of this stuff, it's all about the numbers. So if we're including all of the various NA cracked head cases in those threads, then the base group that it has to be referenced against would be the following collection: all CX-5, Mazda 3, and Mazda 6 NA vehicles, sold in North America, from 2018 through the current year models.

Even though I haven't bothered to look up what that total number of vehicles above adds up to, I think it's probably reasonable to say it's a big enough number to make 5-10 (or even 50-100) cracked heads be a very insignificant percentage of the total sold. And it's those numbers that keeps me coming back to believing that there's no systemic NA cylinder head issue. But as always, I'll continue to monitor future developments, and will have no problem changing my mind about this, if the wind ever starts blowing the other way.

Yes, I'm familiar with (and also participated in) the threads you referenced. As always with any of this stuff, it's all about the numbers. So if we're including all of the various NA cracked head cases in those threads, then the base group that it has to be referenced against would be the following collection: all CX-5, Mazda 3, and Mazda 6 NA vehicles, sold in North America, from 2018 through the current year models.

Even though I haven't bothered to look up what that total number of vehicles above adds up to, I think it's probably reasonable to say it's a big enough number to make 5-10 (or even 50-100) cracked heads be a very insignificant percentage of the total sold. And it's those numbers that keeps me coming back to believing that there's no systemic NA cylinder head issue. But as always, I'll continue to monitor future developments, and will have no problem changing my mind about this, if the wind ever starts blowing the other way.
IMO, cracked cylinder head happens more often on the 2.5T, and lesser on the 2.5L NA with CD. But we’ve never seen ANY reports here (or other places) on cracked cylinder head from a 2.5L / 2.0L NA without CD. The comparison is obvious, that the modification to the cylinder head for CD definitely has weakened the structure somehow, and that’s the concern we should have.

I realize all manufactures have some problems but to put this back in perspective, this is not a small defective sensor nor some defective brake rotors that rusts out due to substandard materials used.

It's the major component of the vehicle that will costs owners $5000 to $10000 to fix after warranty expires.

Being slightly familiar with the manufacturing production lines(plastic medical components and devices), this is not some small issue nor a one-off exception. The components we made needed to work.
Process was continually monitered and part's quality checked... Defective part's(thin, incomplete, bubbles, etc.) then whole batches were thrown out, and machinery and temperature adjusted.

I have no doubt that if we took any of the Skyactiv NA CD engines or the turbo engines, filled with oil and sat them side by side and let them sit for 15 years that no cracks or leaks would occur in either engine.(assuming the gaskets held up)

The problem is time and pressure, both internal pressure(combustion) and external pressure (bumps/potholes, etc.).

The fact that multiple lines(cx-5, cx-9, etc) and multiple years have been affected leads me to believe this is more systemic. They didnt catch, redesign or modify the manufacture process til years later. So all the cylinder heads off the line were fairly similar and fairly defective. This cannot be disputed as multiple years were affected until redesign.

As the vehicle ages and the more combustion pressure and external forces it is subjected to, then more failures will occur. It is nothing more than a waiting game. Wait until the warranty period expires then it's the customers problem.

The 80 year old retired lady that lives in florida development, drives on smooth southern roads, only drives a few miles per week and drives 20 mph might never have the head crack.

The 20-50 year old drivers who drive to work everyday, and drive alot of mileage, accelerate their engines, floor it to merge, hit deformities in the highway(potholes, roadway joints(when roadway is worndown), bumps and uneven pavement on backroads), and that go offroading are probably going to see more problems.
And the whole point of this vehicle is it's marketed as an Offroad vehicle. But it can't handle the bumps ? or the engine cracks?

Additionally, not everyone posts problems on the internet. So the problem is larger than the few posts we are seeing.

While i can understand not wanting to do an expensive mass recall on all the engines, the least they could do is extend the warranty( for cracked cylinder head only and necessary gaskets, etc) to a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty on the head for those that might have the issue occur down the road.

Again, just my opinion. I have 3 more years of cpo warranty on my 2018 NA CD engine so am just waiting, testing and observing... But as more of these show up, I may trade in at some point.

The tone of my response is because I was not aware of these problems prior to purchase( the dealer didnt even explain that it had a CD engine) and the more i think about this issue and possible ramifications, it is an extra life stressor that is ill-timed.

Last edited:
The real concern to me is in 2023 many 2018 engine warrentees will be done, so owners wlll be stuck paying for the repair. And going forward, it makes sense this issue will become more common and drain the pockets of owners.

Since Mazda knows this is a manufacturing/quality defect they should extend our powertrain warrantee past 5 years, maybe at least for this issue.

I've had my say about NA cylinder heads cracking, and won't be losing any sleep over the possibility of that happening to either of our vehicles. However, I totally agree with anyone who believes that Skyactiv CD is the pits, and hope I'm wrong in thinking that CD may cause additional, costly repairs as time goes on and our vehicles get into higher mileage.

I realize all manufactures have some problems but to put this back in perspective, this is not a small defective sensor nor some defective brake rotors that rusts out due to substandard materials used.

It's the major component of the vehicle that will costs owners $5000 to $10000 to fix after warranty expires.

Being slightly familiar with the manufacturing production lines(plastic medical components and devices), this is not some small issue nor a one-off exception. The components we made needed to work.
Process was continually monitered and part's quality checked... Defective part's(thin, incomplete, bubbles, etc.) then whole batches were thrown out, and machinery and temperature adjusted.

I have no doubt that if we took any of the Skyactiv NA CD engines or the turbo engines, filled with oil and sat them side by side and let them sit for 15 years that no cracks or leaks would occur in either engine.(assuming the gaskets held up)

The problem is time and pressure, both internal pressure(combustion) and external pressure (bumps/potholes, etc.).

The fact that multiple lines(cx-5, cx-9, etc) and multiple years have been affected leads me to believe this is more systemic. They didnt catch, redesign or modify the manufacture process til years later. So all the cylinder heads off the line were fairly similar and fairly defective. This cannot be disputed as multiple years were affected until redesign.

As the vehicle ages and the more combustion pressure and external forces it is subjected to, then more failures will occur. It is nothing more than a waiting game. Wait until the warranty period expires then it's the customers problem.

The 80 year old retired lady that lives in florida development, drives on smooth southern roads, only drives a few miles per week and drives 20 mph might never have the head crack.

The 20-50 year old drivers who drive to work everyday, and drive alot of mileage, accelerate their engines, floor it to merge, hit deformities in the highway(potholes, roadway joints(when roadway is worndown), bumps and uneven pavement on backroads), and that go offroading are probably going to see more problems.
And the whole point of this vehicle is it's marketed as an Offroad vehicle. But it can't handle the bumps ? or the engine cracks?

Additionally, not everyone posts problems on the internet. So the problem is larger than the few posts we are seeing.

While i can understand not wanting to do an expensive mass recall on all the engines, the least they could do is extend the warranty( for cracked cylinder head only and necessary gaskets, etc) to a 10 year/150,000 mile warranty on the head for those that might have the issue occur down the road.

Again, just my opinion. I have 3 more years of cpo warranty on my 2018 NA CD engine so am just waiting, testing and observing... But as more of these show up, I may trade in at some point.

The tone of my response is because I was not aware of these problems prior to purchase( the dealer didnt even explain that it had a CD engine) and the more i think about this issue and possible ramifications, it is an extra life stressor that is ill-timed.
I agree that Mazda has to take responsibility for a design flaw. My own CX-9 (2018 just got a new cylinder head on the warranty) I think heat cycles is more significant than running over pot holes. My car has been used for shorter trips most of its life. Started to understand something was wrong around 50000 when it was idling rough. I understand that the companies that sell service contracts “refuses” to pay. They are trying to put pressure on Mazda to force them to take responsibility. Mazda most probably do not want to end up in a law suit that includes a warranty company as they have much better idea how common this problem is compared to consumers. Consumers only source for information is the TSB and forums like this. I’m sure the second hand value will be affected in the long run. Would I buy a 2016-2019 with 75000 miles? Hell no.

I’m sure they will not try to screw you. If the head is cracked you will get a new head or new engine. When I left my car at the dealer ship they said I should gather proof that all services oil changes had been done. But after they concluded that I needed a new head, they never asked for proof of service. Good luck.

Back