Could a 2013 CX-5 AWD get 10 mpg?

Hello guys, I'm new to this and well this is my first car. My father gave me his car as a present. He has used it since the day he bought it new in 2013 and always did the recommended maintenance. The car has around 58,000 mi but the weird thing is that I keep refilling it. I reset the onboard meter and after 100mi it shows an average of 10.6 mpg.

Is this normal? I'm planning on getting it into maintenance but don't know what to check for. I live in a chill flat place. 60 - 78F

Any recommendations?

Hello guys, I'm new to this and well this is my first car. My father gave me his car as a present. He has used it since the day he bought it new in 2013 and always did the recommended maintenance. The car has around 58,000 mi but the weird thing is that I keep refilling it. I reset the onboard meter and after 100mi it shows an average of 10.6 mpg.

Is this normal? I'm planning on getting it into maintenance but don't know what to check for. I live in a chill flat place. 60 - 78F

Any recommendations?
What did your dad say about this? Are you sure it's not a problem with the meter? What does the gas gauge show? If that consumption is accurate you should be down to about 40% of a full tank after 100 miles if you started from full.

What kind of trips are you taking? If you're going a few blocks or even a mile or two, then yeah. If you're going 10 miles or so then you should be getting better mileage.

Thank you guys for the responses. HardRightEdg he literally said, "it's old, get a new car". He never cared for gas consumption, but I do. I'm going to fill it up and measure it by myself, instead of relying on the meter. madar I started to get this interest since I was going to the pump every week, which felt strange, especially since I don't do more than 20-25mi per day. The last time I went to the shop was to change the spark plugs and oil change but that's it.

Question is - how is the car running? Is it smooth, responds as soon as you press on the gas. Idles smoothly, etc. If so maybe the gauge is picking up historial mpg and you dad drove it like it was stolen.
The mpg calculation might be whacked. I'd reset both trip memories and start out with a full tank and see what it reports. If it still reports low pull out the old pen and paper and hand calc it.

Thank you guys for the responses. HardRightEdg he literally said, "it's old, get a new car". He never cared for gas consumption, but I do. I'm going to fill it up and measure it by myself, instead of relying on the meter.
Right-o. If your manual calculation is still showing 10 mpg there is definitely something wrong with it. The lowest I would expect is 15 mpg in congested urban rush hour traffic

I will say that my greater than 33 mpg comes from me going back and forth to work on country roads, averaging about 40 mph. I'm sure in a city it would be worse. Still though, that mileage makes me very happy. My old 04 MZ3 only got 28 on the same route.

Is the parking brake disengaged? I can’t imagine gas mileage being that poor without the brakes dragging.

That would be my guess for 10mpg ... something dragging more so than poor engine performance. @alonso44 can you jack the car up and verify everything is turning freely?

I took a drive in my '16 Mazda6 (2.5L NA engine) to post office that is 3 miles from my house.
Local streets, with 3 lights and 2 stop signs in between.
Came back home. The MPG page showed 17.1mpg.

So, 10mpg is outrageously low.

Old? It doesn't even have 60K on it?!? That things a BABY! :D I hope your dad was joking.

Just wanted to add 10 is nowhere near normal. Definitely need to monitor yourself.

....after 100mi it shows an average of 10.6 mpg.

Any recommendations?

That does seem abnormally low.
There's a bunch of stuff you need to check. Mine takes 7 miles and the engine coolant to get to normal and 20 miles for the tranny to get to normal temp. That means you need to drive over 20 miles a trip to get normal fuel mileage. three miles to the grocery and post office and back would be in the 20 mpg range for me.

Look for the threads on intake valve cleaning.
Inspect and maybe replace the air filter.
Buy some spray cleaner and *carefully* clean the MAF sensor.
Run a couple of bottles of Redline SI-1/Fuel System Cleaner through it. That stuff actually cleans injectors.
Check all 4 calipers for dragging/unusual pad wear. Mine were nearly worn out ar 60k miles, esp the rears. The car has a hill keeping assist that makes the rear brakes drag for a few feet. Be sure that is releasing. Check that the sliding pins are lubed enough.
Check your tire pressure. START with the placard pressure as the min.
Have the wheel alignment checked to be sure they are all aimed correctly.
Take it on a trip and do and "Italian Tune-up". Treated properly, my '16 AWD with 90k miles will still get 33+ on the interstate, but 29 is a lot easier.
Find ethanol free fuel for a proper mileage test.

Thank you guys for the recommendations. I had a long trip of 180mi, bump up the tire pressure to 38psi, added the best fuel I could find in the area, and got 24mpg. At least was something. I will continue investigating.

Thank you guys for the recommendations. I had a long trip of 180mi, bump up the tire pressure to 38psi, added the best fuel I could find in the area, and got 24mpg. At least was something. I will continue investigating.
Another thing - is it the 2.0L or 2.5L? 24mpg is kinda average for normal suburban driving. Was your trip on interstate, highway or regular roads with lots of traffic lights?

When I watch the fuel consumption as I drive from start and go less than 5 miles, the gauge shows I was only getting 10 to12 mpg. Yes, it is not unreasonable under the conditions

Back