Concept MSP Dyno

Concept MSP

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Got the car dynoed this weekend (In ground dynojet 224x load control 2 wheel drive dyno).

Unflashed, Injen Intake, 2.5" exhaust with catless midpipe, Perrin FMIC, Magnecor Plug Wires, Unichip, 93 Octane on Low Boost (about 8-9 psi). The air fuel readings were all over the place at higher RPMs, spiking and droping. I have since taken the Unichip off until I can get it adjusted and working properly. I have been trading emails with JDM Sam to see if there is anything that he can do to re-map it, and I have also emailed Unichip too. No response from them as of yet.

Results: 194 hp

chrisbgraph.jpg

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR4-RW3Pc5I

I'll keep this updated as I work through resolving the Unichip issues. But up to this point I am not very happy with the results of that addition.

Nice results. I would be carful though of those spikes in the afr's in the higher rpms. Thats how I blew my stock motor. I was running lean in the 14's at about 5500rpms. Yours is much higher. Just take it easy and be careful.

Well, I have since taken the Unichip off. I want to have it dynoed again without it to see what it does then.

Man that's a scary graph...glad you went on the dyno and disconnected the unichip right away. Hope you figure it out soon...but man, had you kept driving it...oh God!

Wow, that graph is nuts. Thank God I've been patient and haven't put on my Unichip yet .. I decided awhile ago that I was gonna wait till I had all the rest of my engine mods completed, and then I'm gonna have it installed and tuned at a Unichip dealership that's about a half hour away.

Not bad numbers for your mods, though .. Makes me curious as to what kinda numbers I'll be hitting in the end, haha.

When are you going back for the non-Unichip dyno?

Concept MSP said:
What is the remedy for a bad harness? Send it back to Unichip?
yep, send it back to Unichip and they should fix it for free (IIRC) I'd try to contact them just to let them know you're sending it back however, they should give your some instruction on how and where to send it.

I just got off the phone with Tony at Unichip, and it looks like I may have the dreaded bad harness issue. I explained all of my symptoms (fuel cut at high boost, rough idle, rich at idle, crazy a/f readings on the dyno, mis-wired switches, etc. etc.). It sounds like I have one of the chips from the bad batch. He sent me a wiring diagram that I can use to test the resistance on a couple of the wires in the harness. Hopefully this helps me fix the issue.

Attachments

• Mazda_Protege_Resistor.jpg
    Mazda_Protege_Resistor.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 715
That's BS. You should not have to solder a wire into your harness. If in fact you do have a faulty harness, I would send it back and request a new one. Nothing less

same, even if you "fix" it theres almays that chance itll **** up again, then your lieable and they probably wont fix it the second time

I mentioned sending it back too, and when I brought that up he kind of tried to end the conversation quick, or at least that's what it seemed like. Maybe it's because I bought it used, rather than from an authorized reseller.?.? I dropped the harness off last night at a local electronics store where they have a guy that lives for this stuff. He has fixed amps and stereos for me in the past. He tested it, and it is showing the incorrect reading, as noted in their TSB. He said that he should be able to dial it in exactly to what they say it should be. He ordered a couple of items, and with a little luck I will get it re-installed and back on the dyno next week.

Wow, this freaks me out a little, because I have been having issues with my Unichip since I got it about a month ago. I, too, have talked to Tony and also with Cullen at **********, but so far they have just been having me test different things with the harness. After all that I have been ignored. I think I need to just send the thing back to Unichip and have them bench test it. My boost controlled doesn't work at all (but the solenoid works when switched with 12vdc and the harness checks out with continuity) and I hit fuel cut with my MBC at 9psi a lot. I have a feeling that Unichip isn't doing all that it should be, even beyond the boost controller.

I had a bad harness unichip and i soldered in a 20,000 ohm resister (it was actually 5 100,000 ohm resistors in parallel, thank you engineering degree.) into the harness and that fixed the bad idle and low power. It ran better i thought until i ran a 16.6 1/4 mile with fmic and cai. I took the unichip off and ran a 15.2 ??? It was like i was making no power above 4k rpms. I think it just needed to be tuned to my mods so i just sold it and bought the vibrant TBE.

Back