Color shade difference between body and bumpers

OMF

:
2007 CX-9 GT AWD
Maybe its just me but would like to know if you have also noticed a difference in color shade between your cars body and matching color bumpers? One shade too silver, one shade too blue etc. I can even notice this difference on black CX-9s and other Mazda models. The only recent Mazda model I have seen so far with perfectly matching body and bumper colors is the MX-5.
BTW this is not the end of the world and I already got used to it, still enjoying every minute in my CX-9. All what Im asking is why other manufacturers, such as Honda, are superior in body part paint match over Mazda?

I have noticed this on vehicles other than Mazda's. My dad had an Acura TL in pearl white and you could notice a slight color variation between the fenders and bumpers. I think some of it has to do with the it being different materials bumpers plastic, fenders being metal.

I think some of it has to do with the it being different materials bumpers plastic, fenders being metal.

I have expected this reply... Deja vue from delivery... this was my dealer's explanation...

Still... one manufacturer can paint different materials to match (Honda, VW), another (Mazda) can't? Maybe I am too picky... the annoying thing about is that I have a silver Honda Accord in my garage beside my silver CX-9, and there is absolutely no color variation on the Accord and (in my opinion) two shades difference on the CX-9.

Well I know I have noticed it on many vehicles, not just Mazdas. Like I said I know my dad's Acura (a Honda product) was like that. I think some of it has to do with the the actual paint color and the bumper material too. I had a VW Jetta and the plastics used on the bumper were much stiffer than the plastic used in a couple Ford Vehicles I owned. The Paint on the VW looked better, but showed a lot more stone chips than the Ford bumpers after 60,000 miles.

My understanding...

My understanding is that the "plastic bits" and body are not painted in the same location; they are painted separately. I have heard this from more than one dealer and from two people who worked in various plants (Chevy and Toyota). Even though the paint is supposed to be the same, there are slight variations in the the mixture. I have seen such differences on the bumpers of Toyotas and Hondas, as well as most of the domestics. The only domestic car I know of that gets all parts of the car painted at the same time is the corvette.

My understanding is that the "plastic bits" and body are not painted in the same location; they are painted separately. I have heard this from more than one dealer and from two people who worked in various plants (Chevy and Toyota). Even though the paint is supposed to be the same, there are slight variations in the the mixture. I have seen such differences on the bumpers of Toyotas and Hondas, as well as most of the domestics. The only domestic car I know of that gets all parts of the car painted at the same time is the corvette.

I know they have to add more elastomers to the paint to account for the expansion/contraction of the plastic parts.

I know they have to add more elastomers to the paint to account for the expansion/contraction of the plastic parts.

Correct! The paint used on bumpers contains a "flex agent" that keeps the paint from cracking if you flex the plastic part by leaning on it or bumping into something. Sometimes these flex agents can discolor the paint, or cause it to age at a different rate than the paint on the metal panels.

The only recent Mazda model I have seen so far with perfectly matching body and bumper colors is the MX-5.

I know we're talking about different body styles, but that ^ made me laugh since with my '97 Miata and pretty much every other 1st gen red Miata I've ever seen, the bumpers faded much faster than the rest of the car, leaving me with a red car with pink bumpers. I could bring them back to red with a good polishing and waxing once every 2 months or so!

Anyway, point is, most cars, if you pay attention have a few shades of paint on them, even brand new. That's just how it goes. (bang)

Correct! The paint used on bumpers contains a "flex agent" that keeps the paint from cracking if you flex the plastic part by leaning on it or bumping into something. Sometimes these flex agents can discolor the paint, or cause it to age at a different rate than the paint on the metal panels.

I know we're talking about different body styles, but that ^ made me laugh since with my '97 Miata and pretty much every other 1st gen red Miata I've ever seen, the bumpers faded much faster than the rest of the car, leaving me with a red car with pink bumpers. I could bring them back to red with a good polishing and waxing once every 2 months or so!

Anyway, point is, most cars, if you pay attention have a few shades of paint on them, even brand new. That's just how it goes. (bang)

I can agree first hand about the MX-5. I have a 07 Copper Red MX-5 PRHT and I don't notice any color variation.

I do not notice any color variation on both my Mazda's. The Speed6 is Silver and CX-9 is "Galaxy Gray".

It could the color of the paint, also.

Back