Clutch vs Air Conditioning

MacAttack7

:
2011 Mazda2 Sport (Manual)
Why is there such a huge difference when driving with the air conditioning vs. no air conditioning?
It's extremely difficult to get a smooth shift.
I probably look like I'm having multiple seizures to the people behind me.

The only thing I can think of is the slight loss in power/torque you get with the A/C on. I haven't had trouble shifting with it on, but I do notice the acceleration difference.

I only have a problem in 1st. So I just press the AC button off then back on after I get going.

The main thing is that the compressor turns on and off. I know in mine 1st it is hard to keep a slow speed with the AC on because when it kicks in the engine bogs down slightly, which in 1st gear you can really feel. Going around in a parking lot for example in 1st is difficult to be smooth since the compressor is turning on and off. Being in 2nd helps a lot.

Also while shifting it is most likely because when accelerating usually the compressor is turned off, but then when you lift to shift it engages which slows the engine speed more because of the load. When I have the AC on I know I shift faster to be smooth because of it.

After I got my exhaust on (Racing Beat) I found that being able to HEAR the car made a huge difference in the smoothness in my take offs with and without the a/c on.

I think that the OP was talking about the faster drop of the revs with aircon.

I haven't found it any more difficult with AC on or off. I do have an SRI and exhaust though, so I can hear the engine a lot better. Easier to shift smoothly when you can hear what you're doing.

if you want smooth shifting from first, you will need to slip the clutch more with some more accelerator action.

Back