Clunk Updates

THAT CLUNK IS KILLING ME.. FRIGGIN CRAP!! my handling.. ahh.
i almost spun out today.. imagine, fwd spinning out on a road w/o snow or ice..

I changed my oil last week and checked the swaybar. The front endlinks are worn and I can wiggle them around. I took it to the dealer on Monday and they replaced them. Now the clunk is gone, and the steering is back to normal. Yay! The endlinks look too small for their job... but oh well.

So the protege5 doesn't seem to have swaybar bushing problems... but the endlink ball joints seem to wear out and get sloppy.

Pants McGregor said:
22000KM's in over a year ? Don't you ever drive the thing ?

I live within 1.2 kms from work. And since we have been working on the new house over the past 2 years, we have not taken any long trips.

Newf said:
nukem, this has been discussed before, the grease just hides the noise, but your bushings are still not working and your handling suffers because of it. At least, that's what others have experienced using the energy ones.

Guess I'm just lucky with mine so far. If it means anything to anyone, my E bushings were not put on at my dealer. they didn't have the right kind of lift....not sure what that means. they went to another garage where they installed them

It is possible with those that are failing, that your dealers are not installing them correctly. Yes, that sounds crazy, but it's true.

Why would it work for some and not for others? My bar and bushings were replaced 22000kms, 1 yr 4 months ago. so far so good.

I still drive around paranoid as hell about it though. I'm betting that one day, it will come back. I just hope someone else owns the car by then

I've had no clunk with the E bushings. Couldn't tell you when I originally had them put on (well over a year and a half), but since then, they have replaced the bushings and rear sway bar twice and the end link this past time due to excessive squeeking from the rear (all under warranty - which is now gone at 51K miles). They told me to keep it lubed every 5k - 10k miles.

Every day they can delay it is one day closer to everyon'e warranty expiring. I never even bothered trying to get mine replaced. Still got the stock set in.

Mazda is pretty much done (if not all) with the Protege. The options we have now are keep replacing with the E bushings and lubing them up, aftermarket bushings or the clunk fix brackets. Other than that, you could remove the swaybar altogether. But then that would be very dumb.

well it looks like my E bushings are about to fail...really loud squeeking from the rear and looking at the bar you can see that the bar is moving around from the grease pattern.

less than 20,000 km's on this set...going to a new dealer since my old one really screwed up on my wifes MP3. As soon as I told them about the squeak....and asking if they have the bushings in stock..they said well lets see the bar and end-links as well...so maybe they do know what they are doing

thought I would go through some old clunk fix threads and post this

just a heads up, I came across a post where a member is making clunk fix brackets, new lighter design from what I understand and get this is supposed to be around the $200 or less range shipped....

You all screamed and cried for somebody to make them, well here is your chance to get them... Otherwise no crying when your car begins to clunk agian....

BTW, these types of devices improve handling...

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123621848

Yeah my MP3 clunks in the rear end I was told it is the sway bar bushing, picked up some energy suspension bushings (greasable) haven't installed them yet I was told by another guy thats what he did and it fixed his clunk...

the thread that never dies :)

What have I created!

32000+ Views
1100+ replies

and to think that this wasn't the first thread I started as the other two stopped working due to some site error and we couldn't post in them anymore.

yep, you threads ensure many other protege owners will no longer have to suffer the dreaded clunk... we will be going from one vendor, to no vendor, to two vendors selling them!!!!

nothing like free enterprise and threads that won't die!!!!

well, my fronts are now officially clunking. Never had this problem on either the mp3 or msp until now. Just about 40k kms on the car.

I also have a new dealer, entirely new staff that don't know a Mazdaspeed from a horse and carriage. So this should be interesting...

Newf said:
well, my fronts are now officially clunking. Never had this problem on either the mp3 or msp until now. Just about 40k kms on the car.

I also have a new dealer, entirely new staff that don't know a Mazdaspeed from a horse and carriage. So this should be interesting...

Forget the dealer, just buy the ES bushing.

Newf said:
the thread that never dies :)

What have I created!

32000+ Views
1100+ replies

and to think that this wasn't the first thread I started as the other two stopped working due to some site error and we couldn't post in them anymore.

Totally newf....i don't even care anymore about my clunk. In fact, I kinda like it. It gives the car character :)

A buddy of mine in our mazda club here bought the fix but hasn't installed it yet. Apparently it works though.

hey 1sty, missed ya buddy. To be honest, since my car has been fine almost 40, 000kms, I had not looked up on the desling one. i think I saw something on in the speed section. I never had any issues with my fronts before, but this is cleary the same problem as the rear.

I think I'm trading the car soon anyways. If I can get another set to last as long I'll be happy.

Back