2017~2024 Clunk on sharp turns with brand new CX-5

I am hoping your bushing replacement fixes it. I drove around for a day with my cowl panel removed to help diagnose my pop/creak noise. Noise still there with cowl plate removed. So its not that So I might spray down my sway bar bushings with silicone spray lube to see if that changes anything. I was also suspicious of possibly the steering ram. If it is the bushings then they will start making noise again sooner or later. Doorman makes aftermarket replacements but doorman parts are typically low quality.
View attachment 319480
Honestly I didn’t really hear it but I did have some stuff in the cargo area so I will let you know on the next drive. Remind me when you can lol.

I am hoping your bushing replacement fixes it. I drove around for a day with my cowl panel removed to help diagnose my pop/creak noise. Noise still there with cowl plate removed. So its not that So I might spray down my sway bar bushings with silicone spray lube to see if that changes anything. I was also suspicious of possibly the steering ram. If it is the bushings then they will start making noise again sooner or later. Doorman makes aftermarket replacements but doorman parts are typically low quality.
View attachment 319480
No warranty? Also do you have OCV leak too?

Thank you for the update. Good luck and keep us posted. The ocv leak fix took about few hours in mine (i had it on the 2018 cx5) but they kept the car for a day for other fixes done at the same time. The OCV is a quick fix.
They replaced the cylinder head cover but is that necessary?

Got 22 cx-5 GTR back today.

So was it necessary to replace whole cylinder head cover or they just get paid more than just replacing the OCV solenoid?
I think replacing the whole thing is what Mazda specs via warranty. It may all come as one part.
It's unfortunate this issue hasn't been rectified by Mazda as I was dealing with this issue back in 2018 and it was happening for others before that.
Honestly, I think since it's hidden under the engine cover, most people don't even notice the seepage, which is why it isn't costing Mazda more and forced them to do an update.

I haven't checked for this issue on my last two rigs...mostly because I am turning a blind eye to it (don't keep the vehicles long enough to bother). If I was keeping it, I would be checking it every few months!

2022 with 12,000 miles. Rockauto sells an after market seal, Mahl I think? Yea, I think because the valve cover/head engine cover is plastic Mazda says replace the cover and the seal. If I have to do it on my own I'm putting the aftermarket one in because it's probably less likely to leak.

Attachments

• 20230310_202616.jpg
    20230310_202616.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 85
No warranty? Also do you have OCV leak too?
Yeah I have a warranty but I'd rather just figured out on my own because it's always the same thing with dealerships. It's normal it's normal it's normal. Plus I'm an aircraft mechanic and I'm pretty picky about my stuff I've seen what they do to vehicles when the customer is not looking. Yeah let me know if the noise goes away that's pretty exciting. Then at least I know what the problem is.

2022 with 12,000 miles. Rockauto sells an after market seal, Mahl I think? Yea, I think because the valve cover/head engine cover is plastic Mazda says replace the cover and the seal. If I have to do it on my own I'm putting the aftermarket one in because it's probably less likely to leak.
If you have warranty Mazda should be better than aftermarket + your labor lol

Yeah I have a warranty but I'd rather just figured out on my own because it's always the same thing with dealerships. It's normal it's normal it's normal. Plus I'm an aircraft mechanic and I'm pretty picky about my stuff I've seen what they do to vehicles when the customer is not looking. Yeah let me know if the noise goes away that's pretty exciting. Then at least I know what the problem is.
Find another Mazda dealer that will do it.

Btw does anyone know why I see some small amount of green engine coolant just laying on top of transmission? Maybe from disconnecting some hoses on/near valve cover? Might have to look threw Repair Manual.

Find another Mazda dealer that will do it.

Btw does anyone know why I see some small amount of green engine coolant just laying on top of transmission? Maybe from disconnecting some hoses on/near valve cover? Might have to look threw Repair Manual.
I know on some vehicles coolant goes to the throttle body.

I think my creak noise is the Lower Control Arm bushings doing the "stick-slip" thing discribed in TSB 02-001/20. The fix was they put a coating on the bore of the LCA to "reduce friction". Does that mean if I put some silicon grease in there my noise goes away?? I almost did put the car is going to the dealer to see what they say. This creak is really annoying

There might be a revision, this is a few years old. But its spot on. But its not for CX5s, but same front end I believe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230522-151944_Xodo Docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20230522-151944_Xodo Docs.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 100
This video will help you with your old CX 5 and newer CX 5. And other CX Model. Must use alot of spraying silicon grease on the LCA assy bore (large bushing) and knock it with some mallet or hammer to make sure it doesnt sticks.

UPDATE on ocv valve cover replacement and stabilizer bar bushings replacement for knock noise.

I drove it for a good amount and noise is still there!

The ocv valve cover replacement was suppose to fix the ocv weep/leak but now it is full blown leak. At first I kept on smelling motor oil inside cabin so figured pop the engine cover off and peeked and there it is on the right side of engine I see a good amount of oil leak and some sprayed areas.

If I bring it in again this will be my third time! Guys what should I do??
1685485273744.jpeg

Last edited:
Update on knock and ocv weeping.

Took it in 3rd time for both. This time ocv valve cover is leaking and some small spraying. The noise is there but tech sitting with me said its coming from the rear bushings so he will swap that according to tsb. So is there a tsb for rear bushings? So now a loaner again.

Last edited:
if its the big ones , there was a video from Asia how they fixed noise on those.
Used to be a TSb in the past for those having issues at freezing temps

if its the big ones , there was a video from Asia how they fixed noise on those.
Used to be a TSb in the past for those having issues at freezing temps
It sounds like in the front but tech said theres a tsb for the back he said.

Update:
Got GTR back to re-fix the valve cover leak. Papers had it as a defective gasket and they also used RTV but when advisoe messaged me he said it was a pinched gasket so which was it???

Now the nock sound is still there so instead of them fixing a FOURTH time a “regional tech” will test ride with it instead of advisor/mech and will check the underside or something like that.

Oh boy!!!!!! 🤦‍♂️
1686622271564.jpeg

Last edited:
Back