Skyactiv Hypermiling Thread

2015 Mazda 6, Skyactiv 2.5, 6 Speed Auto. 306,000KM. Tuned on 91 Octane.

The best fuel economy I have ever seen was about 4.4L/100km (53mpg) during steady state cruising at around 60km/h.

When driving in warmer weather on summer blend fuel, I will easily average 5L/100km during steady state cruising at 80km/h or less.

Driving style: Mostly one or two lane highways, little stopping, mostly conservative throttle inputs:
Summer avg. : 5-6L/100KM (47-39mpg)
Winter avg. : 6-7L/100km (39-33mpg)

Stop and go driving: 6.5-7.2L/100km (36-32mpg)

This is all with ethanol-free 91 octane.

The use of ethanol-blended 87 octane in the past reduced these figures by an avg. of 10%.

Fellow hypermilers, feel free to input!

@AL Cx5

I've seen the read out as low as 4.1L/100km cruising on flat going about 55KM/H.

The average fuel economy read out in my car tends to read a bit high.

Right now, with my current hypermiling techniques optimized, (usually just drive pretty slow, gain speed on the downhills, ease of the throttle as I go back up, mostly one lane county roads, some small town driving, some highway,) I am pretty easily getting near 1000km on 55L of fuel.

On summer blended fuel, or at least in warmer weather, if I managed to avoid the frequent cold starts and fairly short distance 7km trip to my local gym on a near daily basis, with my techniques fully optimized I should be able to break into sub 5L/100KM. Thats more than 1100km per tank. My best tank was 5.3L/100km with the gym commutes and weather getting colder.

@AL Cx5 As for the tuning with DRTuned, we have almost finalized the process. Just need to lean things out a little more at WOT and its good to go. The shifts sound fantastic when you are in the powerband! Brilliant drivetrain.

@AL Cx5 As for the tuning with DRTuned, we have almost finalized the process. Just need to lean things out a little more at WOT and its good to go. The shifts sound fantastic when you are in the powerband! Brilliant drivetrain.
Wonderful!

Educate me, can you datalog afr at WOT with stock O2 sensors? On other platforms, we installed a wideband O2 sensor. HP Tuners could accept this datalog...

We need to drive our CX5 more and get full power after 500 miles. 🤣

Last edited:
Wonderful!

Educate me, can you datalog afr at WOT with stock O2 sensors? On other platforms, we installed a wideband O2 sensor. HP Tuners could accept this datalog...

We need to drive out CX5 more and get full power after 500 miles. 🤣
Yea for sure. I will attach some older logs I've collected for you to take a look at.

Really, as long as you follow the shift points and don't persist when the electronic throttle rejects your requested throttle position, the engine is running pretty much perfectly.

Yea for sure. I will attach some older logs I've collected for you to take a look at.

Really, as long as you follow the shift points and don't persist when the electronic throttle rejects your requested throttle position, the engine is running pretty much perfectly.
Please send me a log at partial and WOT.

I downloaded Versa Tune Free to get started. I sent Daniel my ECU calibration and requested Versa Tune to open up tunning for 2024s...

We will what happens next.

Back