Cheap brakes for someone in Toronto (GTA) area?

buliwyf

:
2002 Mazda Protege5, 2014 Mazda3 sedan
Honestly I haven't shopped around yet, but before I do, how'd you recommend doing a brake job?

Basically I want my rotors+pads replaced for the front wheels.

Would it be cheaper to buy parts online from say, rockauto.com (and pay shipping, etc) then have it installed and pay labour only (I want to do it myself but I live in an apartment and don't want to make a mess in my parking slot)? Or should I just purchase parts locally (together with labour)?

Nextmod for pads & rotors, then diy. It's about a 30-1hr job...Make sure you use the proper grease on the sliders...

The shipping is expensive on heavy parts,... You can "place an order" at the Rockauto website to find the full cost. (You don't actually pay,.. just get a "quote".

Some mechanics charge more for labor if you bring your own parts in,... check with them first,...

Get it from Rockauto. Will end up less than buying anything local here, plus you have better choices in which brands you want

Get it from Rockauto. Will end up less than buying anything local here, plus you have better choices in which brands you want
I still would rather build rapport with a local shop that is invested in the local scene vs. give money to a faceless warehouse. Also "my" pricing is waay better than what I can get from most online parts suppliers & if there's any warranty issue it's easier to deal with that locally.

Autozone has lifetime warranty on pads. When they wear out, just take them in for replacements.

Advance Auto has good coupon codes. Buy online with coupon code and pick up at the store. I've save a lot of money this way.

From rockauto, I can get

POWER STOP # KOE788 Autospecialty; Incl. 10.15" OE Replacement Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Pads (Front)

CAD $129 ($71 item, $48 shipping, $10 tax).

Is this good enough?

I don't need super long lasting / high performace brakes. Just something that can be reliable through the coming winter.

I just replaced all 4 discs and pads and one rear caliper. I got ATE rotors from Canadian Tire a couple weeks ago about $52 each (it was a buy one get one free sale). I'm not sure if the sale is still on but they come on sale fairly regularly. They seem like pretty nice discs.

I also got Monroe pads. There was lots of pad material left in the old Monroe pads but I decided to replace them anyways since I had the brakes apart. I noticed that BOTH piston side pads had a crack between the pad material and the backing plate! I gave one of the pads a LIGHT pull and they came apart! I bought the new pads a couple months ago so I didn't return them but had I seen this, I wouldn't have bought the same brand. I think the pads were about $50-$60 for the front (the rears were purchased by the previous owner of my P5 and were given to me when I bought the car).

Latest posts

Back