Changing flexpipe attached to manifold in a 2013 CX-5

So I have an issue with my 2013 mazda cx 5. The flexpipe attached to the manifold is leaking. Of course you can only buy it as one piece and apparently have to replace the manifold as well in order to fix this issue at a shop. Does anyone know if you can fix the flex pipe leak without having to replace the entire manifold? Is there a way to weld a new flex pipe onto manifold or patch it up so that it will pass inspection? Thanks.

So I have an issue with my 2013 mazda cx 5. The flexpipe attached to the manifold is leaking. Of course you can only buy it as one piece and apparently have to replace the manifold as well in order to fix this issue at a shop. Does anyone know if you can fix the flex pipe leak without having to replace the entire manifold? Is there a way to weld a new flex pipe onto manifold or patch it up so that it will pass inspection? Thanks.
Do you have a DTC code since you failed the state inspection?

2AB40292-9B14-431A-8A84-AFD270AD9837.webp

4CF3711F-E928-439C-B272-D9684DDA55B9.webp

Upvote 0
Hi. I'm having trouble imagining what pipe this is. I'm aware of 2 manifolds on most engines. The flexible pipe going to the intake manifold doesn't carry liquid, and the exhaust manifold doesn't have any flexible pipes connected to it. Which pipe and which manifold?
It's the manifold that attaches the exhaust to the engine. The exhaust manifold I believe. If you look at the build of the exhaust system on a 2013 mazda cx 5 you can see that the exhaust manifold that connects up by the engine has a flex pipe directly attached to it. That flex pipe is what is leaking on my car, it comes attached to the exhaust manifold and all the mechanics I have had look at it said that in order to fix it you have to replace the entire piece...it's really frustrating because I have the powertrain plus warranty and they refuse to pay for it even though the manifolds are covered because it's leaking at that flex pipe and not at the manifold...it's sold as one piece though. That's why I am trying to see if there is another way to fix the problem instead of having to replace the entire section. I hope that makes sense...

Upvote 0
The guy at the dealership said this attaches to the pipe that contains the catylic converter and was trying to get me to replace the entire exhaust system with a quote of $7500 dollars...obviously I wasn't willing to do this because that is pretty much what the car is valued at and there is nothing wrong with the rest of the exhaust system. I was trying to get this done under my warranty, I just wanted them to replace the manifold since that's where the issue is but he kept saying they wouldn't pay it because it failed at the flex pipe, not the manifold...since I have been told it's all one piece that just doesn't seem right to me. It's an extremely frustrating situation..the car isn't loud at all so I'm assuming it's small leaks. I had an exhaust guy look at it as well and he said it would probably hold up for a few more years but that it was leaking where the flex pipe attaches to the manifold as well as on the flex pipe. I'm assuming the picture above is the part but not sure..

Upvote 0
Seems like it would easier to repair the flex pipe, but that might take a shop that knows how rather than just replace the entire assembly.

Upvote 0
You can have a new flex pipe welded in, you will have to have the manifold removed though, I did this on my 2014 Mazda 6 a few years back. I added a V-band flange before the flex pipe so that it can easily be removed and replaced in the future. This also makes it way easier to reinstall the manifold in 2 pieces.

Attachments

• 20200613_143856.webp
    20200613_143856.webp
    112.4 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0
You can have a new flex pipe welded in, you will have to have the manifold removed though, I did this on my 2014 Mazda 6 a few years back. I added a V-band flange before the flex pipe so that it can easily be removed and replaced in the future. This also makes it way easier to reinstall the manifold in 2 pieces.
Thanks! I will have to take it somewhere since the engine needs shifted forward or separated to get the manifold out but maybe I can see if they could just replace the flex pipe on it that way. That's how Mazda should have made the part in the first place so that the flex pipe could just be removed and replaced..

Upvote 0
Back