Cellular 3G Networks shutting down. Mazda vehicles seriously affected

:
2020 CX5 Signature
Looking to see how much truth there is to this article: How the 3G Shutdown in 2022 Could Screw Your Car

"The truth is a large number of new cars made in the last decade, even some in the 2021 model year, were built with their connected services running on 3G. That includes things like in-nav traffic and location data, WiFi hotspots, emergency call services, remote lock/unlock functions, smartphone app connectivity, voice assistants, and even concierge services. With few exceptions, most of those features in most of those cars will no longer work by the end of 2022 when AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile all pull the plug."
  • Mazda: Link

• CX-3 (2016-2019)
    • CX-5 (2016-2020)
    • CX-9 (2016-2020)
    • Mazda3 (2016-2018)
    • Mazda6 (2016-2019)

Yeah, I've seen the notices. All a person has to do is buy a new phone, or a new car.

Looking to see how much truth there is to this article: How the 3G Shutdown in 2022 Could Screw Your Car

"The truth is a large number of new cars made in the last decade, even some in the 2021 model year, were built with their connected services running on 3G. That includes things like in-nav traffic and location data, WiFi hotspots, emergency call services, remote lock/unlock functions, smartphone app connectivity, voice assistants, and even concierge services. With few exceptions, most of those features in most of those cars will no longer work by the end of 2022 when AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile all pull the plug."
  • Mazda: Link

• CX-3 (2016-2019)
    • CX-5 (2016-2020)
    • CX-9 (2016-2020)
    • Mazda3 (2016-2018)
    • Mazda6 (2016-2019)
Sirius - satellite not affected.
FM radio- not affected.
Emergency 911- should be satellite unaffected
Cell phone - get a new one. My 3 yr old phone was 4G. My new one is 5g.
Mazda nav- not that great. Use Google maps. No big loss.

Here is what mazda is doing for affected mazda mobile start user

NUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: CSP05D
Components: EQUIPMENT, ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

NHTSA ID Number: 10188047
Manufacturer Communication Number: CSP05d
Summary
MULTI-MODEL - MAZDA MOBILE START CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAM (CSP05). As shared previously, due to planned industry-wide changes in mobile network infrastructure and wireless technology, the Mazda Mobile Start (MMS) accessory was no longer offered beginning with 20MYvehicles. These technology changes are scheduled to occur in late 2021 as our service provider transitions away from a 3G network which currently supports the MMS application and its vehicle operations for all active legacy accounts. As a result, the MMS application and its vehicle operations will no longer work after September 30. 2021 for these legacy accounts and their respective vehicle owners. In an effort to provide advance notice and be transparent, and also to lessen the inconvenience of this situation - On 11/12/2020, all active MMS account holders will be informed of this news and will be presented with their choice of one of following goodwill offers: A new, replacement remote-engine start system (key fob transmitter type), Installation of Apple CarPlay / Android Auto, A $1000 voucher towards the purchase or lease of a new Mazda vehicle

That's ... pretty amazing for Mazda to offer that. Wow. Color me impressed.

The solutions offered by Mazda for the 3G issue are more than reasonable. They are treating their customers well, and should be rewarded with our loyalty.

Audi had a similar issue with their 2020 models and Google Earth/Maps, where they completely abandoned their customers. Imagine getting a $60K car and having it lose an important feature within one year of ownership! Unacceptable!

I am trading in my relatively new (2017) Audi A8L 4.0L Sport for a new 2022 CX-5. Audi's customer service is horrible, and not in the same league as other luxury brands. Their typical response is to deny that a problem exists, and keep repeating it till the warranty runs out. That's why I am abandoning VW-Audi, never to return, and rewarding Mazda with my business.

Last edited:
Audi makes cool cars for sure, (A3 wagons are awesome!) but maintenance is an absolute nightmare. That's why I could never buy one.

IMO Mazda is doing better than many in this regard.

This affects all '10-'17 Lexus as well as model year '18 GX 460. They didn't upgrade to 4G until '19 for that model.

I have subscription for the Lexus Safety Connect in my old '12 GX 460 that will sunset 10.31.2022.

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 4.42.49 PM.jpg

Back