cCicking noise when steering wheel is turned all the way to the left

fvansan

:
2014 mazda cx 5 gt
I noticed recently when my 2014 CX -5 steering wheel is turned all the way to the left and I proceed slowly forward. Doesn't happen when I turn all the way to the right. Anyone else have this problem? I have 15,000+ miles on the car.

Where do you think the clicking is coming from? Since it happens when you're moving slowly, perhaps get a helper outside the car to try to figure out where it's coming from. Could be a CV joint. Or a stone in a tire, maybe near the edge that only hits the ground during a sharp turn. Or something else. :)

no stones in the tire. Sounds like it is coming from the left wheel. I will probably have to go to the dealer.

no stones in the tire. Sounds like it is coming from the left wheel. I will probably have to go to the dealer.
I usually like to identify causes of problem before I drop off vehicles to anyone. Gives me better idea if the mechanic is actually identifying issue, or using my wallet repair roulette... Anyway...

You can also try this:

Jack up front of car, try shaking and spinning left wheel, do this at different turn points. It might be helpful to have a helper rotate steering wheel slowly while you're manipulating the wheel. It should have no play, or sound in it. If you're lucky, you'll hear the clicking and have a better chance to isolate and identify the source.

Not saying this is the case here, but when I started driving, I was always told not to turn the wheels all the way to max steering angle due to stress on Power Steering pump, power steering rack, and stress to the front CV-Joints. If you did reach the max steering wheel limit, you were to back off a bit so that the steering wheel was not pinned to the max.

If you are hearing a clicking, it could very well be the balls in the CV joint assembly clicking against the end points of the slots / stops in their bores because you are at the max angle.

I noticed recently when my 2014 CX -5 steering wheel is turned all the way to the left and I proceed slowly forward. Doesn't happen when I turn all the way to the right. Anyone else have this problem? I have 15,000+ miles on the car.

Is it just a single click each time or is the clicking repetitive?

Not saying this is the case here, but when I started driving, I was always told not to turn the wheels all the way to max steering angle due to stress on Power Steering pump, power steering rack, and stress to the front CV-Joints. If you did reach the max steering wheel limit, you were to back off a bit so that the steering wheel was not pinned to the max.

If you are hearing a clicking, it could very well be the balls in the CV joint assembly clicking against the end points of the slots / stops in their bores because you are at the max angle.

I have a new mazda3 manual in front of me and it has a warning to not keep the wheel at extreme angles for more than 5 seconds to "avoid damage to the power steering". I'd think the cx-5 is similar.

I have the exact same thing happened to me doing left-turn as well for a while and then now it's gone... and yes it happened every time at max turn angle and I always couldn't figure out the reason...if "balls in the CV joint assembly clicking against the end points of the slots / stops in their bores" is true in my case...do I need to drop it off at the dealer just to be sure?

I drive a 2016 CX-5 GS L

The clicking in my CX-5 is hard to pinpoint but almost sounds like it is coming from the steering column. It happens every time I'm making a left turn into a parking spot and at all of the turn-arounds.

Panwanjoe: I think your link is the answer to this problem. And just as Eniahal said, my "noise" has now disappeared. I will await until a reappearance and then take Panwanjoe's link to the dealer for a fix.

Would those who have reported clicking noises please describe the sound in a more detailed manner. In other words, is it a single click each time or is it repetitive clicking? If repetitive, what is the frequency of the clicks? Does the frequency of the clicking change with either vehicle speed or speed of turning the wheel? Does it click even if the car is not moving? Does it do it in reverse? Does the tone of the clicking ever change? Does it only happen when the steering wheel is hard upon the stop (or can it click when it's simply close to the stop)?

We don't have a lot to go on here.

Last edited:
Back