Grinding noise on new OEM brake/rotors (2018 CX-5)

:
2018 CX-5 GT
I have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 GT that started having vibrations in the steering wheel during braking so I replaced both front brakes/rotors due to a warped rotor. I had 106,000 miles on the car with OEM brakes and wanted to keep the same quality. I purchased brand new OEM front brakes/rotors in march 2023 from a mazda dealership. The steering wheel vibrations went away and everything seem fine for a few days until I started noticing a grinding noise from the front driver side when I press the brakes a bit harder while going above 40 miles to a complete stop. It doesn't happen all the time and does not happen when I tap the brakes lightly or press on the brakes during highway driving. The grinding noise also goes away after multiple hard braking events once the brakes get hot but then the noise comes back the next day. The dealership added anti-squeak material on the pads which helped for a day but the noise came back. They then (supposedly) replaced both front brake/rotors as a manufacturer defect and there were no changes with the sounds still being there. Then they took it for a week long diagnosis and came back with not finding anything else wrong but noted that I had some rust buildup on the bottom of my vehicle and some rust on the calipers. They offered to replace the calipers for over $1000 with no guarantee that this would resolve the issue. They said the noise is not a safety issue and you can turn up the radio to not hear it. Since this grinding noise occurred after the new brakes were installed and I have no other symptoms of a bad caliper, I did not think it was a good choice for me to proceed with that option. Does anyone know what else could be wrong with it? Thank you!

It’d be a hard sell to me that any “grinding” noise is related to disk calipers. Don’t spend that $1,000 with no guarantee to eliminate the “grinding” noise.

Can it be the caliper pins needing better lubrication? It’s a weird problem though after 2 sets of OEM front brake pads and rotors. May be you can try an indie shop such as Brakes Plus for a second opinion.

It’d be a hard sell to me that any “grinding” noise is related to disk calipers. Don’t spend that $1,000 with no guarantee to eliminate the “grinding” noise.

Can it be the caliper pins needing better lubrication? It’s a weird problem though after 2 sets of OEM front brake pads and rotors. May be you can try an indie shop such as Brakes Plus for a second opinion.
I am pretty sure they are trying to tell me something to get me to leave them alone. I am stumped and wanted to ask the vast knowledge of this forum for help. 😄

From your description of events, this intermittent but repeatable grinding doesn't follow the norm with brake servicing thus makes it more difficult to diagnose. Some causes for grinding could be a brake disc guard rubbing the rotor or a stone or other object kicked up and lodging in the caliper and scraping the rotor. And the 'squealer' which rubs the rotor and alerts you to brake pads are worn low will cause a scraping or high pitched sound. POSSIBLY, the stainless steel pad guides (thin springy clips in the caliper) that the pads fit into, are somehow rubbing the rotor. I think an inspection from a competent shop is needed. Maybe it's not the brakes. Wish I could help more.
And the dealer did a 'week long diagnosis'. That's ridiculous.

Have to go with Jmaz, best guess is the rotor guard or somehow the brake guide clips are moving and hitting the rotor. Or, since the pads weren't replaced by the dealer with the rotors, I'd change them again. It's a possibility you got a bad set.

Have to go with Jmaz, best guess is the rotor guard or somehow the brake guide clips are moving and hitting the rotor. Or, since the pads weren't replaced by the dealer with the rotors, I'd change them again. It's a possibility you got a bad set.
The brake pads were replaced at the same time. I will take it to brakes plus when I get a chance and see what they can find out. Thanks for everyone's input 🙂

The brake pads were replaced at the same time. I will take it to brakes plus when I get a chance and see what they can find out. Thanks for everyone's input 🙂
I'm experiencing what sounds like the same issue. Were you ever able to resolve it?

Thanks
Cory

I'm experiencing what sounds like the same issue. Were you ever able to resolve it?

Thanks
Cory
Yes. I found out the dealership "OEM" brakes they installed were the Mazda value brand and they are notorious for making grinding sounds due to it being a cheaper material. I found this out by calling a different dealership and asking them about it and that dealership said they stop carrying that particular pad due to all the customer complaints. I file a complaint to my dealership who installed the original pads and they told me I had to pay for the premium OEM pads then which I did and the noise went away.

Yes. I found out the dealership "OEM" brakes they installed were the Mazda value brand and they are notorious for making grinding sounds due to it being a cheaper material. I found this out by calling a different dealership and asking them about it and that dealership said they stop carrying that particular pad due to all the customer complaints. I file a complaint to my dealership who installed the original pads and they told me I had to pay for the premium OEM pads then which I did and the noise went away.
Thanks for the update! I guess we should avoid all OEM “Value” parts with the part number ended with “MV”. The most used OEM “Value” parts have to be the “Value” oil filters by dealer’s oil change. Really hope Mazda won’t screw up this by offering those “Value” maintenance parts!

When you say “they told me I had to pay for the premium OEM pads then which I did”, are you saying you paid the price for “premium” (or non-Value) brake pads but the dealer installed cheaper “Value” pads? :unsure:

Thanks for the update! I guess we should avoid all OEM “Value” parts with the part number ended with “MV”. The most used OEM “Value” parts have to be the “Value” oil filters by dealer’s oil change. Really hope Mazda won’t screw up this by offering those “Value” maintenance parts!

When you say “they told me I had to pay for the premium OEM pads then which I did”, are you saying you paid the price for “premium” (or non-Value) brake pads but the dealer installed cheaper “Value” pads? :unsure:
I asked for OEM brakes and they installed MV brake pads. When I found out what they gave me wasn't actual OEM I complained that they gave me three non OEM MV pads but they claim both pads are OEM which doesn't make sense.. I had to pay for the MV and then premium pads.

I asked for OEM brakes and they installed MV brake pads. When I found out what they gave me wasn't actual OEM I complained that they gave me three non OEM MV pads but they claim both pads are OEM which doesn't make sense.. I had to pay for the MV and then premium pads.
So, this/they would imply Mazda is using MV pads out of the factory? Jeez

Well, chalk up another substandard part in the Mazda Value Line. We've already been through the oil filter and wiper blades as not being well received. Now brake pads. Guess I'll continue to get better quality items from Amazon, Walmart, Rockauto etc. at good prices. Thanks for the update.
@yrwei52 Are you still going to consider MV spark plugs. Who knows, maybe those plugs will introduce a new form of CD. :giggle:

Well, chalk up another substandard part in the Mazda Value Line. We've already been through the oil filter and wiper blades as not being well received. Now brake pads. Guess I'll continue to get better quality items from Amazon, Walmart, Rockauto etc. at good prices. Thanks for the update.
I should have thought about the problem OP had could be caused by OEM “Value” brake pads as I remember someone had complained about it before and that is one of many Mazda “Value” maintenance parts I’d never touch. I guess that leaves “Value” engine air filters and “Value” cabin air filters I may consider to use but I have got even cheaper aftermarket cabin filter to use; and I’ve been using Mazda “non-value” engine air filter since I feel my 2.5L NA deserves a better air to breath than me ⋯ 😙

@yrwei52 Are you still going to consider MV spark plugs. Who knows, maybe those plugs will introduce a new form of CD. :giggle:
I definitely wouldn’t want any form of cylinder deactivation as I want to avoid it at all cost! The only chance I’d consider Mazda “Value” spark plugs is I see “NGK” or “Denso” imprint on the ceramic insulator. Unfortunately my Mazda dealer refuses to stock it and I can’t see it in person to verify. In the mean time I’m still debating which spark plug should I choose. Well I still have 20K miles to go and have plenty of time to think. 🤔

Last edited:
I should have thought about the problem OP had could be caused by OEM “Value” brake pads as I remember someone had complained about it before and that is one of many Mazda “Value” maintenance parts I’d never touch. I guess that leaves “Value” engine air filters and “Value” cabin air filters I may consider to use but I have got even cheaper aftermarket cabin filter to use; and I’ve been using Mazda “non-value” engine air filter since I feel my 2.5L NA deserves a better air to breath than me ⋯ 😙

I definitely wouldn’t want any form of cylinder deactivation as I want to avoid it at all cost! The only chance I’d consider Mazda “Value” spark plugs is I see “NGK” or “Denso” imprint on the ceramic insulator. Unfortunately my Mazda dealer refuses to stock it and I can’t see it in person to verify. In the mean time I’m still debating which spark plug should I choose. Well I still have 20K miles to go and have plenty of time to think. 🤔
For me ,at this point, regarding MV line of anything, why even bother. Don't need the expense to get unneeded surprises.

Latest posts

Back