car stutters a bit when accelerating in 4th and 5th gears...need ideas

n2stox

Jeff
:
2003 MP5, 2000 Audi S4, 67 Mustang (hers)
so, the symptom is when cruising around 40 mph in 40th and accelerating, there is a slight blip/hesitation. not really a stagger. Same in 5th when cruising at around 60 and looking to accelerate.

I thought it may have been a bad PCV, so replaced it. Nope.

As another "easy" fix before taking it in, I was thinking maybe it's time for new plugs.

The car is also burning a bit of oil on startup (blue), which also made me think of the PCV. so now I am thinking valve cover gasket (the part around the plugs) as perhaps it is leaking into the plug area/cylinder.

I plan to pull the plugs this weekend to look at them, but I also thought I'd ask for a few opinions out there.

Thanks in advance...

Jeff

i had the same problem but at about 3.5-4k in 2nd and 3rd gear. i switched out the plugs and wires and it was fixed. id try that to start, plus its only a 20$ job if you diy.

i had the same problem but at about 3.5-4k in 2nd and 3rd gear. i switched out the plugs and wires and it was fixed. id try that to start, plus its only a 20$ job if you diy.

I just got new coilpacks about a year ago, but I'll replace the plugs and see where that gets me.

Thanks,

bingo! changed out the plugs, car runs like a champ now! Problem resolved for $30 and about 20 mins.

Back