Car Polishing/Waxing...

You guys are going to love the pics of this red '99 LX I'm in the middle of. I'm on a lunch break now, but I'll have pics up by tonight...

Here's a preview :)

The right 1/3 of the hood is finished. The other 2/3 is untouched.

HalfHood1.JPG

Well unfortunately I neglected to make sure all of my pictures were successfully uploaded before erasing my memory card. I only got about 4 pics from the card, and none were after shots. I took a ton of pics with both Proteges and everything...I'm kinda pissed about this. Anyway I'll be seeing the car again next weekend and waxing it as well, so I'll take a ton of pics then. Sorry if I got your hopes up for pics tonight. :)

I'll be gone for the next 3 days so I won't be able to reply to PMs or anything.

Hey Paul, one detailer to another, what are your thoughts on Lustre Shine's new "all in one?" Just did my car last weekend with the sealant and then the all in one pink final glaze, and WOW! I'm really impressed. The final glaze doesn't remove very well, but you're meant to wash it off anyways when complete, and once I did the shine was unbelieveable. Pic attached.

Attachments

• P1030590.JPG
    P1030590.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 135
best stuff to wash your car? thats decently priced and not alot of work? and will stay with all the moF*Ckin rain down here in south fla

Pinnacle

Ever since my friend who used to own the Driver's Seat in Jupiter turned me on to the Pinnacle Souveran wax, I have never gone back to anything else. It's not cheap, but after using it for the past 6 years on both my previous black Toy mini and now P5, so I can give a very honest opinion of it. It is damn good for dark cars. They have a pre-wax cleaner/swirl remover that really does a nice job as well.

Since he sold his shop, I get it through Autogeek: http://www.autogeek.net/pinsouvwax.html

I wish I had some good pics to show of my old truck, but people used to ask me all the time who painted it. It was just plain factory.

I've been using zaino for the past 2 years, just wanting to see comparisons and if you guys have used that in the past?

Maxx Mazda said:
Hey Paul, one detailer to another, what are your thoughts on Lustre Shine's new "all in one?" Just did my car last weekend with the sealant and then the all in one pink final glaze, and WOW! I'm really impressed. The final glaze doesn't remove very well, but you're meant to wash it off anyways when complete, and once I did the shine was unbelieveable. Pic attached.

I believe Lustre Shine is what one of my clients used on his Jag before bringing it to me. He polished the car with that stuff and a WalMart buffer, and then used some Turtle Wax on it. Of course the wax stained the trim and everything so I had to remove all that staining too. :(
I haven't used Lustre Shine myself. Where do you get it?

Oh speaking of wax-stained plastic, here's another shot of the red Protege from last week :(

WaxStainedProtege.JPG

Ugh that wasn't fun to fix...turned out great though.

Pinnacle Souveran is an awesome wax. I've seen it in person and in lots of pictures, and the look is just incredible. It is very expensive, and doesn't last very long, but the ease of application and the look it gives the paint are just incredible.

I have not used Zaino yet, but I do have a sample bottle of Z6 from a friend of mine. I just haven't gotten around to using it. I've got so many other terrific products that I tend to stick with what I'm experienced with, and what will give me, without a doubt, the look that I want.
Zaino sealants are said to be very durable, and they do look good. I've just never gotten around to trying it.

Ummm Sorry to thread jack, But does anyone know what to do if I've accidently applied too much car wax and no matter how much I try to buff it. It still leaves some streaks. Thanks in advance

Yes. But first I need to ask you a few things...

1. What did you apply the wax with?
2. What are you trying to remove the excess wax with?
3. What kind of wax are you using?
4. Was/Is the car in the sun?
5. Is it hot and humid there?

To remove them, get a couple microfiber towels (preferably some higher quality ones). If you must, go to WalMart and get some of the blue ones; I think they're under the "detailer's best" brand or something like that. They should be like $6.00 for 8 of them I think. There are cheaper ones too, but they aren't very thick and will likely leave you disappointed.
Also, you will need to pick up a detail spray. I know Mothers, Meguiars, and Black Magic all have their own detail sprays. DO NOT USE THEM IN THE SUN. I use Poorboy's World quick detail spray, and it's safe to use in direct sunlight, but I also pay a lot more for it, and it's available online only.

So you just need to follow the directions on the bottle. Spray some product on the streaks, then wipe off with the microfiber towel. Once the towel gets wet with the product and starts leaving streaks of its own, do the final wipe with a clean, dry microfiber towel. It should take them off.

Last edited:
I was Waxing with Simoniz's Liquid Wax and using their Buffer, I was doing this during the afternoon under the carport. Thanks for the input, it is much appreciated.

Come on now...I asked more questions than that...

Were you applying AND removing the wax with the buffer?
Was it a hot/humid day?

Well, put it this way, it has been two days after I over-applied it, and it has poured over here in BC, so I highly doubt I have anything left to do.

So the streaks were allowed to bake in the sun for 2 days...

Just because it poured doesn't mean the streaks have been taken care of. Remember, wax is designed to repel water. Which means the rain wouldn't mix with the wax and carry it off. It would just run off away from the wax. You could always try just washing the car, and that may get rid of the streaks (and the dirt from driving in the rain :) )

Mr Detailer said:
1.) To do a complete run-down of the car, what are the steps you would need to take? I have waxed my car in the past...about a month or two ago.

The steps needed for a "full detail" on the exterior would be in this order:

Wash
Clay (To remove embedded contaminants in the paint like metal brake dust particles and other airborne pollutants that have settled on your paint)
Polish (if you have swirls in the paint that you're looking to get rid of)
Paint cleaner (to bring back the true color of the paint)
Sealant or wax. Or both, sealant first.
Mr. Detailer, I have a few questions for you. I plan to do my car this weekend, multi-step and plan to use the following products in the following order:
1) Wash: Mother's California Gold Car Wash
2) Clay: Mother's California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System
3) Meguiar's Step 1: Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner
4) Meguiar's Step 2: Deep Crystal System Polish
5) Wax: Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax Paste

Q1: How come in your description above the polish comes before the cleaner, but in Meguiar's and Mother's 3-step systems, the cleaner comes before the polish?

Q2: Are the Meguiar's products I listed above any good? Should I go with something else available off-the-shelf? Are the Mother's products better? I know you recommend online brands, but I must do this this weekend and only have access to off-the-shelf brands.

Q3: If I plan to use Meguiar's ScratchX to remove scratches, in between which steps should I do that?

Thanks in advance

damaster said:
Mr. Detailer, I have a few questions for you. I plan to do my car this weekend, multi-step and plan to use the following products in the following order:
1) Wash: Mother's California Gold Car Wash
2) Clay: Mother's California Gold Clay Bar Paint Saving System
3) Meguiar's Step 1: Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner
4) Meguiar's Step 2: Deep Crystal System Polish
5) Wax: Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax Paste

Q1: How come in your description above the polish comes before the cleaner, but in Meguiar's and Mother's 3-step systems, the cleaner comes before the polish?

Q2: Are the Meguiar's products I listed above any good? Should I go with something else available off-the-shelf? Are the Mother's products better? I know you recommend online brands, but I must do this this weekend and only have access to off-the-shelf brands.

Q3: If I plan to use Meguiar's ScratchX to remove scratches, in between which steps should I do that?

Thanks in advance

Your process looks good to me. I have used the Mothers clay many times and it's one of my favorites. The Showtime Quick Detailer that they include in the kit is a good QD product. It works well with the clay bar.
I think you made a great choice by substituting the NXT paste for the Step 3 wax. NXT is the only OTC wax I still use. I haven't tried the paste, but I suspect that I would like it more than the liquid. I'm more of a paste wax fan. :)

1) I'm actually not sure why they have the cleaner listed before the polish. I do know that the Meguiars Step 2 Polish is hardly abrasive at all. So it really shouldn't even be called a polish. A polish is abrasive. I believe it's mostly just a paint cleaner, similar to step 1.
I use polish before the paint cleaner for 2 main reasons:
ONE: I try to get rid of swirls before anything else. I want the paint to be in near-perfect condition before using the non-abrasive products that are mostly meant to just give the paint a high gloss and slick feel.
TWO: The paint cleaners that I use leave a smooth base behind, so if I used a polish afterward, it would remove that base.
Example: Klasse All In One is a paint cleaner but also leaves an acrylic sealant behind. The acrylic layer would be removed if I used an abrasive polish on it afterward.

I'm going to send an email to Mike Phillips of Meguiars and Forrest of Mothers, and I'll post the responses that I get from them here. I'd like to hear what they say about the rationale behind the order of the steps.

2) As you said, I mostly use online products. I will recommend this...
You get a bottle of cleaner wax with your Mothers Clay Bar Kit. IF you aren't looking to get rid of the swirls in your paint, I would just use the Mothers Cleaner Wax from the clay kit, and then top that with NXT paste. The Mothers Cleaner Wax is one of the better OTC cleaner waxes IMO.
If you are looking to get rid of the swirls, you need something other than those products. I've said it before, most manufacturers mislabel their "polishes". They make a non-abrasive product with tons of fillers, and call that a polish. While it will certainly hide the swirls, it will not remove them like a true polish would. You would need to get a true polish in order to remove the swirls. Most people don't care about swirls, so that's why the manufacturers sell the products with tons of fillers. It's much quicker and easier to FILL the swirls than REMOVE them. The consequence, of course, is that the swirls will reappear after a few weeks as the fillers wear off.
BTW, if you don't have access to a dual-action polisher, don't bother trying to remove the swirls on your car. Doing swirl-removal by hand would take you an entire day, if not longer. It is VERY difficult and time-consuming.

3) ScratchX is meant for use by hand, to remove isolated scratches. It is not meant to be used to remove swirls on the entire car, nor is it meant for use with a machine polisher. For isolated scratch removal, I would use ScratchX right after you wash and clay. Get a terry-wrapped applicator for application. A foam applicator doesn't provide enough "bite" to work with a scratch remover. Also get some plush microfiber towels to remove all of the products. You don't want to introduce more swirls by using a poor-quality towel like the "made in Pakistan" terry cloth towels from WalMart. Best of all, the microfiber towels won't leave any lint floating around like the terry towels would.

Last edited:
Hey Paul, I use an orbital polisher at work, but a DA at home, and have found advantages and disadvantages to both. I like the orbital for cut polishing and removing wet sanding scratches, but I still liek the DA for the fner polishes that remove swirls. (I use Lustre Glaze polish and glaze myself.) What do you prefer for a polisher?

Are you referring to a rotary that you use at work?
As far as I know, a dual-action polisher is the same as a random orbital. The movement of the pad is "orbital", rather than a "rotary" action. It is a random orbit because it wobbles AND spins.
A dual-action polisher is the same way. It wobbles and spins, and thus is a dual-action.

I use a DA polisher almost all of the time. The only time I bust out the rotary is for BAD swirls. Otherwise, the DA works quite well.

Latest posts

Back