Car can't pass smog check, any ideas?

Zack

:
1996 Pontiac Trans Am--2003.5 MSP
So I smogged my car a couple weeks ago. Here we're the results with a single high flow cat(sls midpipe)
Co2% @ 15mph 13.93/25mph 14.0. O2% 388/364. CO .61/.63 and NO(ppm) 2253/1802.

Now I tested again this time bolting a stock midpipe directly to my aftermarket so I now have 3 cats. I failed again but only at 15mph where my NO(ppm) was 1059 when 469 is allowed. Smog tech said car is running too lean. The runs we're on unichip with aggressive timing map(a). After suggestions to run on the stock ECU my NO went up about 100ppm. I was then forwarded this article http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_1109_how_to_cheat_an_emissions_test/viewall.html so next time around Im going to use the iso-heet as well as put in fresh plugs(oil was changed a week ago) and clean the EGR. Also running a bottle of the guaranteed to pass stuff since every review says it works.

Some things that I'm questioning is the directions of the cats on the stock midpipe. In order to get it to just bolt up enough to drive the 60 ft to the smog shop I have it mounted backwards to the sls pipe, meaning the 1st cat is now second. Is that an issued? I mean the addition of that pipe alone dropped my NO over 1200 ppm. Also will an exhaust leak at the midpipe connectors cause high readings?

The direction of the cats shouldn't make a difference, but an exhaust leak will definitely make it read lean. I don't remember my chemistry enough to know if that would cause your NOx to increase, but I don't think so. The atmosphere is primarily nitrogen but I don't think an exhaust by itself is hot enough to create NOx gases. It could be that the cats are old and aren't performing as well as they should.

Back