Cant read ECU codes

:
2002.5 Mazdaspeed Protege5
Alright guys, 02.5 P5 with complete MSP turbo swap. I have a problem...... My CEL came on 2 days ago and I went to autozone to get it checked out. Unfortunately, the code scanner could not read any of the codes on my car????? It only said "FAIL"..... Does the SSAFC I have installed interfere with a code scanners ability to read codes? I would like to figure out what is causing my CEL to come on.

Check the fuse box for any blown fuses. Its also possible you have a CEL but no code. A few days ago, my MSP threw a CEL but, like you, the scanner didn't pull anything. Long story short, it turned out a slim fan I had installed was shorting out, blowing the ECU fuse (which caused me to lose power but that's a different story.) Disconnecting the fan got rid of the CEL. I had a similar thing happen a little before that when one of the fuel injector connectors worked itself loose, causing an intermittent misfire.

Check the fuse box for any blown fuses. Its also possible you have a CEL but no code. A few days ago, my MSP threw a CEL but, like you, the scanner didn't pull anything. Long story short, it turned out a slim fan I had installed was shorting out, blowing the ECU fuse (which caused me to lose power but that's a different story.) Disconnecting the fan got rid of the CEL. I had a similar thing happen a little before that when one of the fuel injector connectors worked itself loose, causing an intermittent misfire.

No blown fuses. Tried again today to get the codes read with a different scanner but still no luck. I ordered a usb to serial cable to see if I wired the SSAFC correctly. Should be coming in on Tuesday. This is annoying

Back