Can't raise boost

Tzar177

Contributor
I shortened the arm of the stock wastegate in the past and nothing happened. Just got my car back up n running with a brand new forge wastegate using the green 5-10psi spring. I've got the arm at almost the shortest length and im still stuck at stock boost level. My goal rite now is to boost 9psi. Any reason I can't get above stock boost?

why dont u use a boost controller or if u want to go the cheap route just put some bleeders in the wastegate line u can get some plastic vaccum t's and put a couple of the small ones in line and let it bleed off some of that line pressure to run 9psi thats how im runnin 11-12lbs right now

why dont u use a boost controller or if u want to go the cheap route just put some bleeders in the wastegate line u can get some plastic vaccum t's and put a couple of the small ones in line and let it bleed off some of that line pressure to run 9psi thats how im runnin 11-12lbs right now

/Facepalm Don't do that.

You may have a boost leak. Did you replace vacuum lines?

Last edited:
The Forge seals pretty well, you would see a gap along the top if it wasn't seated properly. Blow into the vac line to test it.

What intercooler and piping setup are you running? If you have a samco hot pipe it must be an SMIC, hopefully not a stock SMIC.

My vac lines are samco. I run turbolife fmic and pipes.

EDIT: I just blew into vac line goin into the forge and no air moves. Its just funny that with stock wastegate, I couldn't go over stock boost and now with the forge, I still can't go over stock boost

Last edited:
Have you pressurized the WGA to observe how it moves? Compressed air is needed for that. Assuming that its not your turbo, you have an exhaust or boost leak. Shortening the stock WGA arm will increase boost and most of the time that I have seen owners replace their stock WGA with an aftermarket the boost increases slightly due to differences in rod lengths.

running stock turbo? i recently replaced my turbo with a disco potato because my internal wastegate was stuck open on the inside (wouldnt actually seat/seal properly) some days stock boost, other less. when i got the turbo back from the shop it seemed liek the arm moved away from the turbo if that makes sense....so i took a hammer to it haha. moved it over slightly and now it opens and closes flawlessly. with the actuator arm off can u move the wastegate open and closed?

running stock turbo? i recently replaced my turbo with a disco potato because my internal wastegate was stuck open on the inside (wouldnt actually seat/seal properly) some days stock boost, other less. when i got the turbo back from the shop it seemed liek the arm moved away from the turbo if that makes sense....so i took a hammer to it haha. moved it over slightly and now it opens and closes flawlessly. with the actuator arm off can u move the wastegate open and closed?

I manually moved the actuator arm back and forth with ease, so both seem to be moving freely. I checked all couplers and all is tight. I sprayed some carb cleaner around all my vac lines and the only place that seemed to change the engine noise was around the purple fuel injectors seal. I cant confirm a change in vac since I can't see the gauge and spray at the same time, but if theres a slight leak there, would that be enuf to prevent further boost levels?

A bad fuel injector O ring wouldn't limit the boost like that. A boost leak could hold to a certain PSI but wouldn't be consistent. Could also be a bad internal wastegate flapper, they can back out. Are you running a used MSP GT2554r?

hmm i wonder if some how your flapper could be cracked and is just constantly venting exhaust gasses. How is the spool on your turbo? does it spool slow?

Yea I have no probs spooling and getting into boost. I just can't get past 5 or 6psi, stays steady at 4psi. Gonna add some washers to add more preload and see if that does anything

Last edited:
Back