Canadian-spec instrument cluster

Fleeecy

:
2014 CX-5 GT AWD
Hi!

My CX-5 GT without tech package is less than a week old. I love it so far!

Mine has the standard LCD with a basic trip computer in the rightmost instrument cluster binnacle. I miss my CX-7's more elaborate setup with proper door ajar indication and maintenance reminders.

Looking at CX-5 pics online, I notice that some of them seem to have the features I'm missing. There's a color LCD in that 3rd binnacle, in the pics.

The tech package description does not mention this feature. It's not listed in specs anywhere on Mazda.ca.

Should my GT-spec CX-5 have this display?

I believe only the European spec only has that display. The Canadian and US spec doesn't.

I have a 2014 Touring with Tech. I have the right hand screen which shows door ajar stuff and, cruise control mph, and also all the maintenance messages and volume sounds.
I had a 2013 Touring with Tech for a loaner from the dealer for 1 day and it did not have all that stuff. It felt lacking. (well including the 2.0 engine hehe)

It is the difference between the GT and GT with Tech package.

I'd love to see an official source for that.

Mazda.ca says this:

**Technology Package (GT): Smart City Brake Support (SCBS), Bi-Xenon headlights, Adaptive Front Lighting System, Auto headlamp levelling, Navigation system, SiriusXM Satellite Radio

No mention of a better instrument cluster.

There's another thread on this forum that discusses this topic very thoroughly with pictures. I'm not sure what more you want, it only comes with the Tech package.

The lack of a proper "door ajar" light makes the autolocking feature into an annoyance on my GT (no tech pkg) if any door isn't slammed with extra force. Even if the door is totally closed the sensors don't register it sometimes and the way to fix is by re-closing all doors or manually locking.

The lack of a proper "door ajar" light makes the autolocking feature into an annoyance on my GT (no tech pkg) if any door isn't slammed with extra force. Even if the door is totally closed the sensors don't register it sometimes and the way to fix is by re-closing all doors or manually locking.
Maybe this is an issue that the dealer should look at. I never experienced any problems with this.

Happened to me too... The hatch wasn't completely closed, and I had to check each and every friggin door before I found out about the hatch. Of course, the dumb light stays on when any door is open, so I had to go back to the driver's seat and close the door each time to check the light.

Welcome to 1985.

Happened to me too... The hatch wasn't completely closed, and I had to check each and every friggin door before I found out about the hatch. Of course, the dumb light stays on when any door is open, so I had to go back to the driver's seat and close the door each time to check the light.

Welcome to 1985.
You may not have a door ajar lndicator on the lcd but you should have a small door ajar indicator under the speedo.

I guess I'm obsessed over this... Here is another 2014 CX-5, this time a Touring model with obviously less equipment than my Canadian GT model, but it has the proper cluster.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=202095&d=1366436817

Not sure why Mazda doesn't clarify this.

That's my car :) It's a USA 2014 CX-5 Touring WITH Moonroof/Bose and Tech Package.
It's my car because there's the Tetrax phone mount covering the clock.

Anyways, What I've figured out is. It's only 2014 Touring with Tech package that has the better instrument cluster. 2013 Touring With Tech does NOT have it (I had a loaner)

Again, this question is answered, there is no change. If you want the better cluster, you have to get the 2014 GT with Tech.

The differences you assumed in the picture that made you think it was not this were due to Canada / US differences in models.

Again, this question is answered, there is no change. If you want the better cluster, you have to get the 2014 GT with Tech.

The differences you assumed in the picture that made you think it was not this were due to Canada / US differences in models.

Again this is false. You do not need a GT, the nice cluster is on TOURING with Tech and GT with Tech.

Thanks for stating the obvious, sir. But my main question is :

Why won't Mazda clarify this? This difference is not detailed in describing the Tech package for the 2014 CX-5, and that holds true for the US and the canadian spec sheets as found on the respective Mazda websites.

I paid CAD$35K for this car... 5K over the price of my previous 2010 CX-7 which did have the missing features in its instrument cluster. This seems to me like a glaring omission on Mazda's part.

Last edited:
Again this is false. You do not need a GT, the nice cluster is on TOURING with Tech and GT with Tech.

You are correct for US-spec CX-5s. But in Canada, we only get access to the Tech package on GT CX-5s, not on GX or GS versions. Touring is called GS in Canada, and Grand Touring is called GT here.

Sorry nXt, I was referring specifically to the Canadian versions as noted by the title of the thread. In Canada the only CX-5 with the Tech package option is the GT. (our goes GX, GS, GT as Fleeecy pointed out)

As for why they do not clarify, I think there are a lot of things that Mazda either chooses to say or not, or simply overlooks in Marketing due to the many different models / markets that they have, but who knows.

As for why different vehicles at different price points have different features in different years... I think that's the nature of the automotive industry. I didn't want the sunroof, leather seats or xenon headlights, but in order to get Tomtom, Sirius, and keyless entry I had to. Is it worth 2k for a door ajar diagram? Not likely. Should it be more clear? Yes. Is it? No. Can that information be found within a few seconds on the internet? ...

Back