Cabin Filter Replacement

rlallos

:
2016 CX-5 GT - No Tech
How often do you replace your cabin filter? Follow the recommended schedule or your schedule?

Last edited:
The maximum interval is 24 months or 30,000 miles but I guess it depends on where you live. I always found myself replacing my cabin filter every 6 months but I live in the mountains on a gravel road and the dust is terrible. And the filter in my other vehicle was dirty with leaves and sometimes bugs (one of the joys of living in the North Georgia mountains/forest).

LOL! I hope you meant this as a joke because it's literally a 30 second job on a CX-5. It's more involved to buy a soda pop from a vending machine. Mazda has really simplified the type of maintenance that is most frequent.

1. Open glove box.
2. Squeeze left/right sides of glove box to release glove box and pull out.
3. Grasp handle on old air filter and slide out like a drawer.
4. Slide new filter in like a drawer.
5. Snap glove box back into place.
6. Have a beer for completing such a technical task solo. (cheers)

LOL! I hope you meant this as a joke because it's literally a 30 second job on a CX-5. It's more involved to buy a soda pop from a vending machine. Mazda has really simplified the type of maintenance that is most frequent.

1. Open glove box.
2.b. Squeeze left/right sides of glove box to release glove box and pull out.
3. Grasp handle on old air filter and slide out like a drawer.
4. Slide new filter in like a drawer.
5.a. Snap glove box back into place.
6. Have a beer for completing such a technical task solo. (cheers)

2.a. Unclip the damper arm on the right side of the glove box.
5.b. Re-clip the damper arm.

Mazda-CX-5-HVAC-Cabin-Air-Filter-Replacement-Guide-003.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to upload the photo and show this to us. Much appreciated. By the way, one time I was at one of those quick oil changes and they convinced me to let them change my filter on a different car. "It's the same price everywhere." When I got the bill, indeed the price was the same everywhere for the part ($10), but $50 to put it in. I felt like such a sucker. Don't let anyone do that to you guys.

Many videos on Youtube about this. So simple. You don't have to remove the damper on the 2016 CX-5. I have big hands and it was not a problem pulling out the old filter.

You just push the sides of the glovebox inwards and it pops down (along with everything in your glovebox)

They get dirty quick. I would change the filter every 10k Miles or every second oil change, no need to be breathing in nasty unfiltered air.

Oh, and you guys should be damn happy that changing the cabin air filter on a Mazda is like walking through the park. On my BMW is nowhere near as simple...

I'm waiting for the 2017 MODEL (method) of replacing the cabin filter. Are aftermarket HEPA filters available for the 1st. Gen?

correction: typo error. Thanks molestor for pointing that out.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the 2017 method of replacing the cabin filter. Are aftermarket HEPA filters available for the 1st. Gen?

What do you mean by 2017 method? Like a better quality air filter for 2017 OEM?

I wonder if we could find better quality ones like charcoal online or something. The original cabin air filter on our cars isnt the best.

I can assure you that changing the cabin filter on a 2017 is every bit as easy as the previous model. I’ve also checked that my spare filter fits and it does. Go ahead and order your favourite filter.

I can assure you that changing the cabin filter on a 2017 is every bit as easy as the previous model. I’ve also checked that my spare filter fits and it does. Go ahead and order your favourite filter.
That's great! So they (1st. & 2nd ge) share the same filters?

@Molestor:

Yeah but what could you expect from all stock cabin filters.

That's great! So they (1st. & 2nd ge) share the same filters?
No, they are different. 2017s is smaller. BTW the cabin filter from factory is charcoal-style filter so dont throw it away just because it looks black.

Well I cant really speak for the US version and I have to admit that the part numbers are different between the 2016.5 and the 2017 but Ive just been and popped mine out just in case I need to see about getting a different spare but they are identical in dimensions;

IMG_4015.jpg

IMG_4016.jpg

This is the replacement fitted and it makes a perfect seal.

IMG_4017.jpg

This is it from the front.....

IMG_4019.jpg

I can only assume that the part number difference refers to the newer carbon activated filter?

EDIT; scratch that last info, theyve now changed the part number of the old model to the new part number! This is the 2016.5

fullsizeoutput_1739.jpg

.....and this is the 2017;

fullsizeoutput_1738.jpg

The left and right hand drives are definitely the same part number.

This is the LHD heater;

fullsizeoutput_173a.jpg

Last edited:
I have been replacing mine in cabin filter with charcoal activated ones. Anyone know if there is any benefits by doing so?

Oh, and you guys should be damn happy that changing the cabin air filter on a Mazda is like walking through the park. On my BMW is nowhere near as simple...

True Mazda wins on simplicity, but BMW is just 4 screws and a cover in the back of the engine bay which is still a piece of cake. The worst is a Nissan Altima as you have to take the dash apart to get to the filter, totally ridiculous.

True Mazda wins on simplicity, but BMW is just 4 screws and a cover in the back of the engine bay which is still a piece of cake. The worst is a Nissan Altima as you have to take the dash apart to get to the filter, totally ridiculous.

Not all BMWs are easy. On some they start with a cabin filter then build a car round it!

Back