Buying Advice - Used 2016 CX-5 GT

red soul

:
2016 CX-5 GT
Hey everyone! I'm brand new to the forum and looking to buy my first CX-5 (my first Mazda too). I found what looks to be a pretty good deal, but I would love your input on if you think it's good, or if I can do better. First of all, the one I found (which has all the options that I want) is a USED 2016 Soul Red CX-5 Grand Touring. It has the Tech package AND the ACTIVSENS package. It also includes some options too, such as roof rails, cargo cover, door sill and trunk plates, and also the rear parking sensors. I've attached a copy of the original window sticker. MSRP was $33,580. The dealer has it listed at $28,995, and he won't really budge on price. The car actually just came in from California, where it was a "corporate fleet vehicle" for Mazda of America corp. in Irving. It has just under 8000 miles on it. Looks wise it's about what you would expect for a 8k mile car - a couple of paint scratches, but nothing stands out. The interior is pretty much perfect and everything works. Mazda is also doing this one as CPO, so I'll get the extended warranty that comes with CPO as well.

Here's my question: The dealer says that when Mazda ships the corporate cars out to dealers to sell, they pretty get them from the corporate office at a low price already, so they can't really go any lower on the price. Is this complete BS? I've never heard of a dealer not willing to negotiate at least a little bit on price. If the dealer refuses to budge, is there any chance of getting him to throw in freebies with it, such as the rubber cargo mat, maybe the paint protection film, etc? And lastly, is $28,995 a fair price for this car, in this condition? I've attached some pictures too.

I appreciate any and all input, thanks again! :)

SEE PHOTOS HERE:
https://goo.gl/photos/xsePQDxXLqa7r1Su5

I feel this vehicle should be bought for less money. The MSRP is ~ 28,800 for a new, zero miles, 2016 GT. The extended service contract may be worth ~ $1K at the dealer level. I'd pass and buy a new touring for less money or a brand new for a few hundred more. Check out TRUECAR VALUES to get some idea of used prices for 2016GT with similar mileage. The 2017 will be out shortly. Ed

Thanks for your advice, Ed. I know the msrp is less, but that doesn't take into account all the packages and extras (which are all things that I am looking for). I did do true car and also kbb, and 28.9k is at the lower end of what I should expect to pay. Unfortunately I am currently in a rental car and can't afford to wait any longer to buy. A touring trim is not an option for me, has to be a GT (leather, leds, etc).

You're getting $3000 off in exchange for 8000 miles. But since it's CPO you're getting the 7yr/100k mile drivetrain warranty instead of the 5yr/60k. Just based on my own research (which is pretty much just reading thru the forums here) I don't think that's too bad a deal. I'll actually be looking for something similar once I'm in the market within the next year, but I don't want the iActiveSense cuz of the extra cost. In my area the going rate is $29k for that according to TrueCar. If the price was a grand or two less it would be a much better deal. I'd compare prices in the pricing thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply jaggrey! :) I don't think it's a great deal, but I think it's an okay deal, like you said. I wish I could talk them down, but I think I came in seeming too desperate to buy that particular one (I waited a couple of weeks for it to ship from Cali, and the dealer called me this morning saying that it just came in late last night).

Normally I would go into a dealer and seem "undecided" (even if I knew exactly what I wanted), so that way they would have to lower the price to try to convince me to buy it. I just was afraid that someone would buy this particular one before I had a chance at it, since these CX-5's seem to "fly off the shelves" around here - they are very popular.

Tomorrow I plan on going to one of the other Mazda dealers here in town to try to see what kind of deal they can make for me on a comparable new one. Just for my own peace of mind.

MSRP was $33,580. The dealer has it listed at $28,995, and he won't really budge on price.

The CX5 you are looking at is fully loaded so the sticker is at $33,580. At $29k for this vehicle it's a decent deal, especially with the 7yr/100k mile warranty. It has low miles which is nice.

If it is equipped exactly like you want, then it sounds like a good way to buy if you don't mind that it is a little used. However the price seems like it could be a little lower...

I would definitely ask for your extras that you are looking for. Let them know what can be done to cinch the sale for them.

You don't mention financing, but you are going to have better APR % rates on the new car loan vs a used/cpo % rate. so factor that in also if it applies to you...

What is the blue book/retail for the car with that many miles? Is it FWD or AWD?

Last edited:
Its not a bad deal, considering the extended warranty.

If they won't budge on the price, maybe they can fix the scratch you've posted? And the bezel trim around the touchscreen seems to be peeling a bit on the upper left hand side. I'd ask them to replace that too.

Thanks, banjos-n-beer. You and I think alike! I actually asked them to fix the scratch and also the trim around the navigation. I'm a perfectionist, so I want it to be perfect, especially if I'm spending 30 grand on a used car! They said that fixing scratches and any dings is part of the CPO process, and they said they will cover the nav bezel replacement too. I do like the fact that I get the extended warranty, especially since the car has lots of electronic gadgets that can easily break in the next several years.

That said, I am going to go in today (to a different dealership) and see what kind of deal I can get on a (similarly equipped) new CX-5. I'll report back with the results. The low financing rates for new vehicles could be a nice incentive (I have excellent credit), but I think I should be able to get a pretty decent rate on a used one too.

This is an unrelated question for you guys, but thought I'd ask anyway. The used CX-5 comes with California Emissions. I'm in Texas and those aren't required here - the car was originally a Cali car. Does California Emissions rob the car of any horsepower or anything like that? I'm honestly not too familiar with California emission requirements, and how it affects the car (other than lower emissions).

You can have mine for $28,990, $5 cheaper that this one. It's also a 2016 GT with Tech package no Active Sense, no roof rails. Mine is Meteor Grey and it has only 5,200 miles. It has no scratches, it has front tinted windows matching the rear, door sills, rear bumper protection, cargo cover, mudflaps, lock lugnuts and front transparent film. Oh and last but not least, mine is an AWD.
OK, let's be serious, I'm not selling mine but I just wanted to show you that the deal they offer you is not that great.
I bought mine brand new for $29,500 taking into account the incentives I got ($500 Mazda loyalty rebate, $500 Mazda financing rebate). Shop around, I'm pretty sure you'll find better deals than this one. Heck, for a couple hundreds more than they offer, you might even buy a brand new 2016.
Just my 2cts.

Oh and FYI, the $500 financing rebate, I paid off the loan 1 month after signing up. Cost me $20 in interest ....... Net saving $480.

Last edited:
... The car actually just came in from California, where it was a "corporate fleet vehicle" for Mazda of America corp. in Irving.
I wish Mazda North American Operations is indeed located in Irving - a suburban city of Dallas, not Irvine in LA area!

Even if this particular 2016 FWD CX-5 is indeed from Mazda corporate with every accessory installed at the port and listed on the window sticker, but it'd be used like a rental car by Mazda employees. These drivers didn't care about the car, and it's evidenced by these scratches. I personally don't like this kind of situation went through new-car break-in period and you really don't know the long-term effect because of that.

It's $4,585 off the original MSRP for a 7,990-mile used car. I also feel it's not a good deal as you should be able to get a brand new FWD GT with Tech for $27,000 like my friend did in Dallas area with all Mazda's incentives. And no, CX-5 is not that popular in our area. You can get really good deals if you're patient. And you can also special order a brand new CX-5 with exact options and colors you want.

Yeah, there's a different code for CA emissions when dealers order the new CX-5. But according to specs they don't hurt any performance and fuel efficiency like they used to be.

Finally, some people are showing up saying it's not a good deal. Agree! They're luring you in with the extended warranty which can be gotten anytime, and for free at certain dealers...

I wouldn't buy the used one unless it was an absolute steal of a price as there are too many incentives to buying a new one; brand new car, lower finance rate, rebates, etc.

frenchbiker - Thanks for your input. I know the deal is not GREAT, but like I said, it's exactly what we want. The car is for my wife, who was just involved in an accident in her Infiniti where a guy ran a stop sign and pulled out into her front bumper, and her car was totaled. She's really shaken up, and needs a very safe car that she will feel comfortable driving. She likes the idea of all the safety features that come with the ACTIVSENS package, although I could take or leave it. We would indeed prefer AWD, but that's not a deal breaker for us, and since it never snows here, I'm not sure it would be worth the MPG hit.

yrwei51 - My bad, I meant Irvine, not Irving! Guess I've been in Texas for too long! :) I competely agree about the Mazda corp car - maybe it was a rental, I'm not sure. I found their car insurance card in the glove compartment, and it says that the insured is "Mazda Motor of America, Inc." in Irvine. So maybe it was some big wig's personal car, or maybe it was indeed an abused rental car - no real way to tell I guess. I drove the car on an extended test drive, and everything felt good to me - engine was strong and smooth. Yes, it does have some minor scratches, but that could just be from parking lot dings, not "abuse". I did find some evidence of some messy crap in the inside, including what looks like spots of melted chocolate on the dash (would easily come off), and there was an empty bag of gummy bears in the seat back pocket. haha

That's good to know that there's no hit to performance with CA emissions- I'm very glad about that. Plus I'm helping to save the environment, yay! (sarcasm)

Grrr, some people are saying it's a good deal and some people say it's not a good deal! I'm so conflicted!!! (gah)

So it's not AWD? If not, it's definitely not a good deal. Car can be got for new less than that...

I don't think it's that great of deal. I bought a 2016 GT AWD demo, with 5200 miles every option except i-active, which I didn't care for anyways. Got rear bumper guard and vent visors thrown in for 27,300 out the door. That included tax, title, plates, everything. Plus mine didn't have a nick or scratch on it. I personally would look around. I've bought a few demo's over many years and never had a problem with one. Just have to look them over a bit more careful.

Latest posts

Back