Brakes shot at 23,000 miles, PICTURES

I just ordered the Centric Rotors and pads. Let's hope this takes care of the pulsating issue once and for all. Still amazed that Mazda doesn't think there is a problem, when virtually everyone is dealing with the same issue.

My God folks, my 2009 has just over 65K miles (mostly long trips) and we are still on the original pads/rotors! What am I doing RIGHT?

My God folks, my 2009 has just over 65K miles (mostly long trips) and we are still on the original pads/rotors! What am I doing RIGHT?

you got the good set LOL!
They seem to do well under highway/freeway conditions. I got 41k on mine before I got the brake wobble and I replaced the pads and rotors (slotted rotors). My pad were ok though and had some miles to go on them, and the rotors looked good, but I had a definite issue when I hit the brakes. After I changed the rotors and pads, I had mazda flush the brake fluid and inspect the front end and the brakees, no issues detected. I had no wobble after the pads/rotor replacement even prior to the fluid flush and replace.

OK nuru, what exactly should I be feeling when the pads/rotors start to "go south"? I have a very minimal squeak when backing out of my garage and that is the only time I hear anything from the braking system. Never have felt anything through the pedal either! From several of the postings, it sounds like the rotors have a real problem with them. Has Mazda every addressed the issues with a Tech Warning or recall?

I have a little bit of squeaking when backing out of the garage too, but it is because I ditched the factory brake hardware kit which just leaves the backing/shim on the centric pads I have. NO squeaking anytime else though.

I am amazed at the variety of experiences with the rotors on this vehicle. We have 35K miles on a 2010 (we drive it everywhere) and our rotors look fine. Actually had it at the dealership yesterday for an issue with the sunroof and they said brakes look fine. Other people have them go out at 15K miles and others last longer than 35K. I know that location and driving habits make a huge difference, but I am amazed at the amount of problems with the brakes.

The difference is a mystery. Were there bad batches or bad years or multiple brands used for OEM pads and rotors ? I just turned 66K miles and am on the original brakes and have no big issues. I can see that the fronts are getting thin, and I am getting some front vibration when braking hard, so I plan on replacing at least the front pads in a couple of months.

John
2008 CX-9 Sport AWD - daily driver and kid hauler
1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo
1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged

Last edited:
Same here.
45K miles on original brake pads and rotors. (probably around 30-40% left)
I label myself "mildly aggressive" in driving style.

OK nuru, what exactly should I be feeling when the pads/rotors start to "go south"? I have a very minimal squeak when backing out of my garage and that is the only time I hear anything from the braking system. Never have felt anything through the pedal either! From several of the postings, it sounds like the rotors have a real problem with them. Has Mazda every addressed the issues with a Tech Warning or recall?

I have not seen whether or not Mazda has admitted a problem with its rotors? Anyone know who makes their rotors?

Some potential signs of braking maintenance required
If you are getting pulsating sensation when you apply the brakes, then you know it is time to at a minimum have your brakes inspected.
If you can see grooves in your rotors, then you know you need to do a brake job
If you get a progressively louder scratching sound (not a low groan/grind sound due to pad rotor compositions), If you can see grooves in your rotors, then you know you need to at a minimum have your brakes inspected.
If you become aware your stopping distances are getting longer and you have to push down harder on the petal, get it inspected.

I have the same squeaking sound when backing out of my garage as well.The tech at my brake shop explained that as a very common thing because , according to his experience, the brakes are cool and will squeak just a bit due to that!

Yes. The CX9's OE pads/rotors setup makes all sorts of noises when they are cold such as 1st drive everyday.
After they are warmed up, those go away. That does not means the pads are shot.
I am still on the original set. The last full-cycle inspection says "good" condition.
I will definitely go with Centric when it is time.

Any other rotor / pad recommendations? The stock ones suck beyond belief. Making me think of just getting rid of it and getting something else. This will be the 4th set of rotors in less than 50k miles.

I cannot explain your bad luck but I am also in Boston and on the original rotors/pads/tires after 28,000 with no hint of a problem. You're not one of those crazy Boston drivers are you???

Brakes on the CX9 are awesome. I have 98,000 mi. With the original rotors and pads. It is unbelievable to me. It is 90% city and I tow a 5x10 trailer every other weekend to the kart track.

I cannot explain your bad luck but I am also in Boston and on the original rotors/pads/tires after 28,000 with no hint of a problem. You're not one of those crazy Boston drivers are you???
Can't be - Boston drivers never stop for anything,.. like red lights,.. pedestrians,.. ;-)

pedestrian-accident-area.jpg

Can't be - Boston drivers never stop for anything,.. like red lights,.. pedestrians,.. ;-)

BAHAHAHAHAH! I'm a Boston drivers and my brakes still look as good as new. So I guess I don't brake for nobody ;-) Seriously speaking, my 9 is a family car and the brakes look new after about 7k miles. I brake like a sissy because I have my toddler and infant with me and do NOT wish to clean up vomit. I did break them in with some hard stops at the beginning and they don't pulsate or squeal at all. But I am also afraid that gentle braking may also lead to other issues like glazing on the rotors. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:
I had my rotors replaced around 7,000 miles; the inside of the front rotor was grooved like a race track. Now, I'm up to 17,000 miles and the same issue is starting to happen again. I checked and felt the grooves starting to develop on the inside again.

I'm not hard on my brakes at all. I have an Accord with 35,000 on original rotors as well as an SC300 with 75,000. It maybe time to go aftermarket. :(

Ed

I've had issues with my 2012 CX9 brakes as well. Dealer put some kind of ceramics on at 30K but I didn't bed them. Is it advised to bed them now after they have already gone something like 10K miles?

Thx.

Lol!!! I am not an aggressive driver at all. These factory rotors just plain suck @ss!!! I swapped out for Centric's and have not had a problem since.

;-) Thanks for the Centrics tip.

I really like dsc888's experienced advice re learning to drive smoothly due to seasick kids in the back. No Zoom Zoom for him!

Back