Brakes, bleeding gone wrong, questions

icspots

Paramagic
:
2012 Mazda 5
Howdy. I replaced the front/rear brake pads/rotors about four years/40k miles ago. I don’t regularly drive the car (au pair drives it), but the last time I hopped in the brakes felt a lot softer than they should and required more pedal travel. I was doing brake bleeding on my new car the other day so I decided it was time to do the 5 as well. Bled everything, went fine. Au pair takes the car out after I gave it a quick test drive, and when she gets home tells me the brake light is on and the brakes don’t work well.

Sure enough the bleeder screw on the RR caliper came loose (I swear I tightened it!) and pissed brake fluid all over the place. Reservoir was empty. I refilled the reservoir and re-bled each caliper. Obviously a bunch of air came out of the RR bleeder, and a tiny bit out of the LR. Nothing but clean fluid out of the fronts. Brakes don’t feel amazing, though they do feel better than before the first brake bleed. Pads have maybe 30% of their life left at best, and I’ll be doing them again once they’re actually worn down.

My current opinion of the brakes is I still think they should grab harder. The pedal is no longer the mushy of “oh s*** all the fluid is gone and it’s full of air”, but the brakes don’t grab until pretty far down the pedal travel. Should I run off the assumption there’s air in the ABS module and get a mechanic to purge it, or is there something else I should be looking at?

I wonder the same thing about the brake master cylinder. I just bled my brakes at just over 70K. There was not that much air in lines at all and the brake liquid was not all that "dirty". However, the brake pedal feel, is exactly like it was brand new. I always thought that maybe it just how this car was designed. However, every time I get into another and apply the brakes, I end up coming very close to face planting myself into the steering wheel. Mazda 5 brakes just do not have a very good initial bite and the feedback as you further press the pedal is not good at all. I'd like to replace the brake master cylinder myself, but cannot find the time to take out the battery tray and such to get to it. Maybe, when I finally decide to replace my transmission mount. It's in the same area.

Good luck.

Back