Doing the brakes when you're old...

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
Well I made one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made for a while. I replaced the pads and rotors on all four wheels myself. I had an electric scissor jack and jacked one side and put jack stands at both ends. I did it so I could rotate the tires also. So I did a side at a time and got it all done. I was a mech a long time ago at an American Motors garage and in my mind I could still do these simple things. However with a hip that's wearing out and torn miniscus on the knee getting down on the ground to place the jack and stands then back up was he**. Oh to make it harder I have had rotator cuff surgery and I'm 74 years old. The job is simple but things have gotten heavier or I've gotten weaker (that one LOL). There was a time I changed an automatic tranny laying in my driveway laying on my back. Funny how you still think youcan do things you did when you were younger. I did save some money from an estimate of 900 bucks to do it but I'll pay to have it done next time. 🤪

I hear you. I'm 86 and my mind says it's a simple task that I've done before so how hard can it be- HaHa. I am planning on doing an oil/filter change Sat morning. Maybe I should rethink this plan?

Well I made one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made for a while. I replaced the pads and rotors on all four wheels myself. I had an electric scissor jack and jacked one side and put jack stands at both ends. I did it so I could rotate the tires also. So I did a side at a time and got it all done. I was a mech a long time ago at an American Motors garage and in my mind I could still do these simple things. However with a hip that's wearing out and torn miniscus on the knee getting down on the ground to place the jack and stands then back up was he**. Oh to make it harder I have had rotator cuff surgery and I'm 74 years old. The job is simple but things have gotten heavier or I've gotten weaker (that one LOL). There was a time I changed an automatic tranny laying in my driveway laying on my back. Funny how you still think youcan do things you did when you were younger. I did save some money from an estimate of 900 bucks to do it but I'll pay to have it done next time. 🤪
I was afraid this’s going to be another thread of not putting the rear brakes into the Maintenance Mode for the brake job, not. But I hear you about the old age. And I’m gradually giving up some tougher jobs where I used to DIY without any hesitation such as the recent LCA replacement on my 2016 CX-5. And yes I’d done the same before when I was much younger, removed the automatic transmission from a 1972 Ford Capri, rebuilt it, and put it back, in my driveway. 😉

I was afraid this’s going to be another thread of not putting the rear brakes into the Maintenance Mode for the brake job, not. But I hear you about the old age. And I’m gradually giving up some tougher jobs where I used to DIY without any hesitation such as the recent LCA replacement on my 2016 CX-5. And yes I’d done the same before when I was much younger, removed the automatic transmission from a 1972 Ford Capri, rebuilt it, and put it back, in my driveway. 😉

That's funny! My very first new car was a Capri! 1979 Capri RS w/turbo and 4 speed manual, black with bright green stripes. It was a Mercury by then.

I replaced the clutch in my driveway, first time doing a clutch, and also the turbo, first time for that as well. The patient survived both operations. Which was nothing short of miraculous considering back then, no internet, no youtube, and no car forums to help a guy out.

We were on our own!!! :oops:

EDIT, this was my first brand new car.

Last edited:
Ha!

I put summer tires on, last Monday. Still hurting a LOT Friday. Getting old sucks hard.
I'm with you on that one.
Last fall I did the snow tire install and got my 18 year old neighbour kid to do the heavy lifting.
He's a great kid and enjoys doing this kind of stuff, so I gladly gave him a $20. (I'm turning 75 next month).

That's funny! My very first car was a Capri! 1979 Capri RS w/turbo and 4 speed manual, black with bright green stripes. It was a Mercury by then.

I replaced the clutch in my driveway, first time doing a clutch, and also the turbo, first time for that as well. The patient survived both operations. Which was nothing short of miraculous considering back then, no internet, no youtube, and no car forums to help a guy out.

We were on our own!!! :oops:
You’re a brave man! I bought a shop manual for my 1972 Ford Capri before I decided to take apart and rebuild the Borg Warner 3-speed automatic transmission which suffered erratic shifting. I did have trouble to find certain clutch parts from Ford dealer but luckily some transmission shop had them and was willing to sell.

I believe your 1979 Capri RS is a Ford Mustang disguised under Mercury brand? Of course it was US designed car whereas my 1972 Ford Capri is made in Germany designed by European Ford. That’s why certain parts sometimes were hard to find.

... Last fall I did the snow tire install and got my 18 year old neighbour kid to do the heavy lifting.
He's a great kid and enjoys doing this kind of stuff, so I gladly gave him a $20. (I'm turning 75 next month).
That's what I'm trying to do more of as I get older ... Find younger folks who are interested in learning how to do stuff. Kids/grandkids, neighborhood folks, etc. Provide guidance and support and they learn new skills. Win / Win 😁

You’re a brave man! I bought a shop manual for my 1972 Ford Capri before I decided to take apart and rebuild the Borg Warner 3-speed automatic transmission which suffered erratic shifting. I did have trouble to find certain clutch parts from Ford dealer but luckily some transmission shop had them and was willing to sell.

I believe your 1979 Capri RS is a Ford Mustang disguised under Mercury brand? Of course it was US designed car whereas my 1972 Ford Capri is made in Germany designed by European Ford. That’s why certain parts sometimes were hard to find.

Not so much bravery as a broke college student trying to make ends meet.

You are right, a disguised Mustang with VERY expensive tires to go on 'trick' wheels.

At the time there was only ONE tire that could be fitted to those wheels. TRX tires by Michelin to go on TRX wheels. I have no idea why they did this but apparently there was a 'special' bead on the tires that only fit on that rim.

Whatever it was that car handled like it was on rails and I could drive it pretty damn well, if I do say so myself. It wasn't powerful but it sure was fun!

⋯ At the time there was only ONE tire that could be fitted to those wheels. TRX tires by Michelin to go on TRX wheels. I have no idea why they did this but apparently there was a 'special' bead on the tires that only fit on that rim.
Yes I remember Michelin TRX tires. At the time it was the first tire in the US to use metric rim diameter, i.e. 340mm、365mm、390mm、415mm, instead of 13”、14”、15”、16”. Hence we see Michelin® TRX 240/55 VR 415 94W TL size instead of 245/55R16. 415mm rim diameter is 16.3386”. And your special metric TRX wheels on Capri can only fit expensive metric TRX tires.

Back in 70’s and 80’s, even the highway sign had km in addition to mile, and Shell and a few gas stations were using liter on the pump. I thought the US would eventually switch all British units into metric to meet international metric standards where everybody else in the world uses. Not!

Well I made one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made for a while ... Funny how you still think youcan do things you did when you were younger.

I'm in the same boat.

In short, I'm a card-carrying member of the Post-Early Onset Old-Fartitis Club.

Know how to relatively easily do the full brakes, replace certain suspension components, bumpers/sensors, interior work and whatnot. Just not at my age with my old injuries and increasing aches/pains. Standard "gettin' older" litany. Been paying the shops to get the work done for this past ~15yrs or so, at which point I sold all my old tools, creepers, floor jacks and related tools. Wish it weren't so. But it is what it is.

The good news is I'm still walking, standing, able to do moderate exercise, bicycle ... and I've got all my own parts (without any 'bionic' or 'titanium' crap so many sport these days). Could be worse. :LOL:

As far as old age and delegating certain jobs, yea, I remember voicing similar thoughts on here a few times. But I'm not ready to get rid of the tools yet. Gotta maintain that sense of "independence" even if only doing the simpler, easier things.
And what's all of this cryin' I'm reading about in this whole thread? "Hell, we ain't old, we're EXPERIENCED". ;)

I did the oil & filter change on my CX5 but, that is the last time for this 86 year old. I used to get much satisfaction doing it but, this time it was a painful burden. Ed
Doing my own oil changes was one of the first things that got taken off my list of DIY jobs.
It's just not fun anymore, and certainly not worth the hassle. I also don't drive as much as I used to, so I only need oil changes once a year, even though the car hasn't come close to the mileage interval. Paying someone $100 once a year is worth it now.

Doing my own oil changes was one of the first things that got taken off my list of DIY jobs.
It's just not fun anymore, and certainly not worth the hassle. I also don't drive as much as I used to, so I only need oil changes once a year, even though the car hasn't come close to the mileage interval. Paying someone $100 once a year is worth it now.
I'm in the same boat, millage wise and I never put enough miles on the CX to reach the oil change number. I change it once a year.

With 5 vehicles to maintain, including a motorhome and a motorcycle, (adding a 6th soon, another toy, a Can-Am Spyder F3 so that my wife can ride with me. She doesn't like when I lean into turns on my MC :oops:)

With all that, no way am I going to pay someone else to do the work that I can do myself.

With 5 vehicles to maintain, including a motorhome and a motorcycle, (adding a 6th soon, another toy, a Can-Am Spyder F3 so that my wife can ride with me. She doesn't like when I lean into turns on my MC :oops:)
Wow, 6 vehicles to maintain by yourself ⋯ :love:

I have been trying to reduce the vehicles I’ve owned gradually to unload the burden on maintenance. I have reduced to 2 the minimum here in Texas (once I had 5) and 1 in California. But I can’t resist to maintain 2 more vehicles my 2 kids owned there as each time they took the car to the Toyota dealer there something went wrong (once oil leaked at the drain plug after a simple oil change on the Yaris iA).

I hope I can at least do the oil change until @erhayes‘s age.

I did the oil & filter change on my CX5 but, that is the last time for this 86 year old. I used to get much satisfaction doing it but, this time it was a painful burden. Ed
Regarding 'satisfaction', some things just aren't fun anymore. But at least you continued changing your oil long past many others and should be commended for doing so. You did your part.

Back