Brake squeak after sitting

Seems like 9 out of 10 times after my 2019 GT-R sits for a few hours, the brakes squeak at the first stop. Sometimes it takes 1-2 stops before it goes away. Its quite loud. Appears to only be coming from the passenger side. Cant tel ifs its the front or back.

After the first few stops it does not return. Only after it sits for a few hours again.

Only 9500 on the odometer. Anyone else experiencing this?

Kind of embarrassing.

My 2019 GT-R does the same thing and I agree, it's embarrassing. Mine seems to be coming from the back and I'm at about 7500 miles.

I notice this on mine as well ('18 GT).

On a slightly related note, I'm absolutely pissed off with the quality of the rear rotors. I've got noticeable grooves on both rear rotors (both sides of the rotors), <9000 miles. I guess I'll have to have a chat with Mazda when I'm in there for my rockerarm/firmware update.

My 19 Signature had this issue continuously. Dealer couldnt replicate. We have Nest Cams outdoor and they caught the noise first thing in the morning. I provided that and magically they came up with TSB

04-004/19.

SQUEAK NOISE FROM REAR BRAKES DURING LIGHT BRAKING

2013-2017 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE******921726 (produced before Dec. 21, 2016) 2018-2019 CX-5

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit a squeak noise from the rear brakes while braking lightly. The squeak noise may occur more frequently when driving at slow speeds. The noise is caused by poor contact between the guide plate and the mounting support.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify the customer concern.
2. Remove the rear brake pads according to the instructions on MGSS online (REAR BRAKE DISC PAD REMOVAL/INSTALLATION).
3. Apply dual adhesive tape (8 pieces per vehicle) between the guide plate (4) and the mounting support (5) according to the "APPLYING DUAL ADHESIVE TAPE" procedure below.

3. Apply dual adhesive tape (8 pieces per vehicle) between the guide plate (4) and the mounting support (5) according to the "APPLYING DUAL ADHESIVE TAPE" procedure below.
It's seems interesting that new cars [and everything else] are put together with lots of tape and glue these days. But there's no doubt they can be adequate adhesives. Progress.

Last edited:
Just as another data point, I've had my Reserve since March, am approaching 6,000 miles, and have never had this issue.

I'm retired and don't drive it every day. Sometimes it will sit for 2-3 days without being moved.

I'm in a dusty environment here in the country. 1/2 mile right-of-way from pavement to my home, had been rutted dirt & mud, 2 months ago I had crush & run put down. I wash the car and take it out, a day later the back end is thick with dust. Never had a brake squeak issue.

Surface rust? has it been raining where you are a lot of late?
Doesn't seem to be related to rain since it happens even when it's been dry for days. I keep my car in the garage and the brakes are quite when I leave for work in the morning, but they squeak when I leave work after my car has been sitting in the lot.

My 19 Signature had this issue continuously. Dealer couldn*t replicate. We have Nest Cams outdoor and they caught the noise first thing in the morning. I provided that and magically they came up with TSB

04-004/19.

2013-2017 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE******921726 (produced before Dec. 21, 2016) 2018-2019 CX-5

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may exhibit a squeak noise from the rear brakes while braking lightly. The squeak noise may occur more frequently when driving at slow speeds. The noise is caused by poor contact between the guide plate and the mounting support.
Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
This sounds like it could be the issue.

My 19 Signature had this issue continuously. Dealer couldnt replicate. We have Nest Cams outdoor and they caught the noise first thing in the morning. I provided that and magically they came up with TSB

04-004/19.

DESCRIPTION
REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify the customer concern.
2. Remove the rear brake pads according to the instructions on MGSS online (REAR BRAKE DISC PAD REMOVAL/INSTALLATION).

thanks for sharing. My 16.5 never had this issue. I currently have a set of aftermarket pads and rotors that are still quiet.

My 19 squeaks almost every time after sitting though. I sprayed everything with brake cleaner this weekend when I put the winter wheels on. Havent driven it yet.

I also cleaned a lubed the caliper pins on the front passenger side. Starting to feel a shimmy in the wheels. Found that rotor has some spots with excessive pad material. Frustrating at only 10k.

Mine squeak a lot when warm. Greasing the shims has improved it but not resolved it completely. My advise after 17 years in the friction material industry? Ignore it.

Back