Brake issues "again"

Protoge 5

I recently changed the rotors and pads all the way around on my 02' Protege 5. I did the work myself and for the most part i was pretty happy (had one busted rear caliper ). So its been about 1000 miles since my repair and i notice that one of the front rotors isnt wearing like the rest. Seems like the pads arent gripping the entire surface of the rotor? Insted of the whole pad contacting and wearing the rotor only 2/3 of it is? Could someone go outside and look at your FRONT pads and tell me if the "low brake pad" warning sensor (clip) is on the outside or inside pad? Out of four pads only two had warning clips and i stuck them facing out. Just wondering as it looks like that clip is sitting against the caliper, so could be the problem. Thanks for looking folks (if you can).

hey,

the low pad warning tabs, or squealers should be on the inboard pad. Motor side of the caliper. You have them in backwards.

Take the pads out and sand them down a bit on a flat surface (tape some sandpaper to a counter) and then re install them in the proper side

Matt

why does it matter? if the pads are not sweeping the full surface of the rotor but at a significantly less portion of it, then it's the wrong pads!

there ARE smaller brake pads that *might* fit the p5.... they're probably the ones off the 1.6l protege

TheMAN said:
why does it matter? if the pads are not sweeping the full surface of the rotor but at a significantly less portion of it, then it's the wrong pads!

there ARE smaller brake pads that *might* fit the p5.... they're probably the ones off the 1.6l protege

look at the pads, they have different backing plates and are pinned in different spots, therefore making the pad contact the piston in the caliper and the bracket in the wrong spots. This could cause the pad to sit at an angle.

Not to say he doesn't have the wrong pads, just a place to start

Matt

Back