Brake assist warning?

:
Honda Prelude 2001
So the warning message have pop up a few times today and nothing was infront of me on the highway and the car lucky doesn't apply the brake. Anyone else having this issue?

Yes, no bird crap either so I'm not sure what triggering it. Told my dealer in my last service and the advisor said it not something they can test for.

I've never had the warning come up with nothing in front, but it has a few times when it judges a situation too close to another vehicle. Even when I was in no danger of an accident. It's worked as it should though.

Was finally able to capture some video of the emergency brake getting trigger during my roadtrip. Started to google again about this issue and looks like back in 2019, Mazda had a similar recall for their Mazda 3.

Mazda is recalling more than 35,000 Mazda3 sedans and hatchbacks from the 2019 and 2020 model years because their automatic emergency braking (AEB) systems may unexpectedly and inadvertently engage while driving, which could cause a rear-end collision from a following vehicle.

Not aware of any recalls but 2016 and 2017 model year were known for having an overly sensitive system. Have you tried changing the setting from far to near through the infotainment systems?

Have you ever had the windshield replaced?

Not aware of any recalls but 2016 and 2017 model year were known for having an overly sensitive system. Have you tried changing the setting from far to near through the infotainment systems?

Have you ever had the windshield replaced?
No I haven't tried playing with the settings, but I'm going to give that a try. Windshield have not been replaced.

Your videos don't seem to be working for me.

At highway speeds, the system that was triggered was Smart Brake Support. SBS works off of the millimeter-wave radar in the front emblem. Check to ensure the front emblem is clean and isn't obstructed by anything. Failing that, the dealer should either offer to recalibrate the radar sensor or try and replace the radar module (on their dime, if the car is within the factory warranty).

If you get any pushback from the dealer (even if your car is out of warranty), escalate to Mazda Corporate, citing a serious safety risk. SBS is supposed to "help the driver avoid or reduce the severity of collisions" according to this link. Instead, a fault with your car's systems is creating a risk of collision with vehicles that may be behind you on highways, at highway speeds.

Hope you can get this solved ASAP.

Diagnostic from Mazda showed no error codes and therefore the system is working properly as per Mazda. The insurance company is now saying since there is no error codes then there is nothing wrong and there isn't much they can do and it just "wear and tear".

I agreed there is nothing wrong with the system but I think there is something wrong with the alignment of the system. But how can this be proven? I would assumed a system like this would need to be calibrated?

Right now everyone is pointing fingers.

Diagnostic from Mazda showed no error codes and therefore the system is working properly as per Mazda. The insurance company is now saying since there is no error codes then there is nothing wrong and there isn't much they can do and it just "wear and tear".

I agreed there is nothing wrong with the system but I think there is something wrong with the alignment of the system. But how can this be proven? I would assumed a system like this would need to be calibrated?

Right now everyone is pointing fingers.

I'm assuming the diagnostic was performed by a local Mazda dealer? If so, I would escalate to Mazda Corporate. I think it can be calibrated as well, but I don't think anyone here has mentioned being able to get the radar recalibrated, only the camera and sensors behind the front windshield after a windshield replacement.

I would ask Mazda Corporate to see if the radar system could be recalibrated, and if it is possible, to point you in the direction of a dealership that is capable of doing the recalibration. Aside from that, if you're not able to get any further assistance, I'd blast the video on all of Mazda's social media channels to draw attention to it. In the meantime, I think you can turn off SBS in the Infotainment to avoid random triggers until you can get this sorted.

Mazda Canada told me I have to work with dealers to resolve this issue. Further digging, there looks to be a calibration adjustment that can be performed.

This shop seems to have this type of service,
https://factreset.com/mazda/

The Front Radar, located in the front bumper/grille, emits and detects radio waves reflected from the vehicle ahead of it. It works in conjunction with the distance recognition support system (DRSS), Mazda radar cruise control (MRCC), and smart brake support (SBS). It is important to calibrate to make sure the vehicle maintains a safe following distance and is able to accurately identify other vehicles/obstacles on the road.

When to Calibrate Front Radar
  • Unit is replaced
  • Brackets for unit are replaced
  • wWhen prompted by the vehicle

Contact the service manager at my dealership and he going to help look into it further. Finger Cross.

After getting on a call with the insurance adjuster, he agreed to have the car re-calibrated. Apparently it was not a requirement for re-calibration of the radar back in 2017 which might be true cause Mazda position statement was dated in 2018 where they recommended a re-calibration after an accident. I'm surprised of the wording recommended vs required like from Nissan.

Looks like the issue is now fixed, drove on the highway a few times now and no more emergency braking alert.

Back