Blind Spot Monitor

Blind spot monitoring systems

I see vehicles with Blind Spot Monitoring Systems as being built but not yet delivered to dealers. They should start to trickle into dealers in about 4 weeks. None are on the ground.

I see vehicles with Blind Spot Monitoring Systems as being built but not yet delivered to dealers. They should start to trickle into dealers in about 4 weeks. None are on the ground.

My CX-9 GT is suppose to be built in October, so I guess that means mine should have the option when it arrives (ETA December).

Every vehicle I've owned has had a blind spot monitor. Its called TURN YOUR LAZY HEAD AND LOOK!

Technology is no substitute for good driving habits.

Sportsowner

This is a place to share information and friendship with other Mazda owners. Your sarcastic remarks are not appreciated

I thought this was available, just not as a standard item as of yet?

- ZoomFive

Sportsowner

This is a place to share information and friendship with other Mazda owners. Your sarcastic remarks are not appreciated

I couldn't have said it better! For some reason Sportsowner and njerald think they are smarter than everyone else here.(notcool) I am on the MX-5 forum also, and you don't get any of these saracastic/rude comments over there no matter what the question.

Every vehicle I've owned has had a blind spot monitor. Its called TURN YOUR LAZY HEAD AND LOOK!

Technology is no substitute for good driving habits.

Dear CX9 SportOwner,

Have you actually tried to turn your head and check your blindspots in your CX-9? I did. And I can tell you, this is probably the most important weakness of the CX-9. 80% of the blindspots remain blind after looking above your shoulders. And I believe, Mazda engineers came to the same conclusion, that's why they introduced the blindspot mirror in this model year.

The only difference that might affect our blindspots in our CX-9s is our seat positions. I am 6'-3", so my seat is almost at the farthest position from the steering wheel.

Cheers and drive safely. I keep my head turning and using my additional blindspot mirrors (those ugly stick on things) to increase road safety.

George

The big rigs, 18-wheelers, tracter trailers, etc, do not have (and have not had) any Blind Spot systems.

There are millions of Navigators, Expeditions, Suburbans, Escalades, Acadias, Outlooks, etc running around with no Blind Spot systems...they're all doing just fine!

The Mazda BPM is just another $200 gadget that you can easily live without.

The big rigs, 18-wheelers, tracter trailers, etc, do not have (and have not had) any Blind Spot systems.

There are millions of Navigators, Expeditions, Suburbans, Escalades, Acadias, Outlooks, etc running around with no Blind Spot systems...they're all doing just fine!

If there is an option for added safety why wouldnt you take it? $200.00 is nothing when you are spending 40,000.00. I think half of the people on these forums are afraid of technology. Trust me guys, no harm will come to you - technology is good and so are safety options.

I am not saying every vehicle should have it, but it certainly cannot hurt. I own an MX-5 also and you should see all of the photos on that forum of cars that have been backed into, side swiped etc.... because the driver of the "large SUV" never saw them. If they had this technology it may not have happened. Even if you look, in the mirror, or turn your head, sometimes you just can't see these smaller vehicles. If anything the main problem anymore seems to be that so many people are distracted on the road by doing everything in their vehicle except for just driving. This technology is just another thing that is being added because a lot of people just don't pay attention when driving.

But you do seem to need to act like an ass online for some reason. No matter what type of technology or lack thereof was included with your CX-9.

No offense, but I'm not going to apologize for not being a wuss who needs gadgets to replace good driving habits.
I also dont need a computer to tell me how to get to work, or a motor to open the rear hatch.

With my job (sales rep driving 38,000 miles/year) I have a use for all of these items. Just because you don't need them/use them doesn't make the options a waste of money or give you a reason to make your rude comments to the people that want these things on their vehicle.

No offense, but I'm not going to apologize for not being a wuss who needs gadgets to replace good driving habits.
I also dont need a computer to tell me how to get to work, or a motor to open the rear hatch.

CX9 SportOwner
No need to apolgize...Just keep your rude comments to yourself...Different people want different things in their vehicles. You chose the cx-9 that you wanted and we all chose the one we wanted. The arrogant attitude you show is not well accepted.

Aye...lets not get so sensitive about Blind Spot system.

The whole reason why this thread was started was to provide some information on the availability on the BSM. Apparently, it is atleast 4 weeks out, maybe longer, and if someone needed to buy a CX-9 right away, they could buy one without the BSM for it is not, IMHO, a "must-have", "you will crash into tiny cars without it" gadget.

Since this gadget is not available yet, no one really knows how well it actually works. All we know is that the car starts beeping while changing lanes if there is someone in what Mazda determines to be a Blind Spot. Depending on the height of the driver and seating position, the Blind Spot can vary. If the system isn't very user friendly, then this safety gadget becomes an unnecessary distraction...and worse...you waited 4 weeks or more to get it!

I don't NEED those things either, but have you ever tried to open a rear hatch with your arms full of groceries, or a baby, or two?

You don't NEED your fancy CX-9 to drive around either. Why not get a 10 year old used car that runs ok? Better still, you could walk or take public transpo. Did you really NEED your CX-9?

I don't NEED those things either, but have you ever tried to open a rear hatch with your arms full of groceries, or a baby, or two?

You don't NEED your fancy CX-9 to drive around either. Why not get a 10 year old used car that runs ok? Better still, you could walk or take public transpo. Did you really NEED your CX-9?

Well put!! That is why many of these things are options. Not every option is useful for everyone, If you don't need them, well don't buy them. Why certain forum members feel the need to attack the people that have interest in these options puzzles me.

As an airline pilot I would like to know when you are on one of my flights so I can treat you to a flight where I won't use the autopilot, the traffic collision avoidance system and heck, during landing I will also turn off the Anti-Skid (aka anti-lock brakes) system just for you and see how things turn out. You are right, I guess I am too lazy sometimes! It is just gadget fluff that we really don't need if one is a REAL pilot. I might even do that every day I fly for the next 25 years I have left in the industry. No wonder these darn flying machines cost $50-200 million, they are filled with unnecessary junk! Thanks for the wholesome advice!

Sheesh.

Last edited:
As an airline pilot I would like to know when you are on one of my flights so I can treat you to a flight where I won't use the autopilot, the traffic collision avoidance system and heck, during landing I will also turn off the Anti-Skid (aka anti-lock brakes) system just for you and see how things turn out. You are right, I guess I am too lazy sometimes! It is just gadget fluff that we really don't need if one is a REAL pilot. I might even do that every day I fly for the next 25 years I have left in the industry. No wonder these darn flying machines cost $50-200 million, they are filled with unnecessary junk! Thanks for the wholesome advice!

Sheesh.

Agree, however, you are formally trained to use these systems. Most car drivers don't even read their owners manuals.

Also, what if your AutoPilot and other systems you mentioned, fail? Are you going to crash? No, because you can still safely land your aircraft and I bet you're trained to fly without using these gadgets.

Does that make these systems unnecessary? No.
Can you live without them, if needed? Yes.

Back