Blind Spot Monitor

'08 GT with BSM picked up on Halloween.

I pre-ordered my '08 in August. It arrived from Hiroshima to New Jersey sometime mid October and was delivered at the dealership (North PGH) October 29. I picked it up October 31st - Halloween.

'08 GT, Stormy Blue Mica, NAV, Rear-Entertainment, Towing, BSM, Remote Start, Roof Rack, Drivers assist package, All Weather mats, etc. - Loaded!

It's a little over 200 miles now and I must say I absolutely LOVE it!

(Just in time for the North East winters.)

The Blind Spot Monitoring is a nice option. I appreciate having it as my driveway seems to be the gathering area for the kids in the neighborhood - and their toys. It also helps during rush hour traffic when the lanes merge. The side mirrors display a warning light that indicates objects are within range. Sure I can turn my head, but my eyes catch the yellow warning lights when they come on.

The BSM option vehicles should be available by now in many areas.

The only pet peave I have is that the Bose NAV / Audio system seems to be tailored to the market's where the steering wheels are on the right side of the vehicle. Here in the states, the buttons should be swapped (Left to right, etc.). Although I can understand not having seperate radios for each market.

Otherwise, my CX-9 is just perfect and was well worth the wait.

Plenty of pep too. I couldn't believe how fast I was going today. I THOUGHT I was doing the speed limit your honor!

Last edited:
The Blind Spot Monitoring is a nice option. I appreciate having it as my driveway seems to be the gathering area for the kids in the neighborhood - and their toys.

I am confused? How does the Blind Spot Monitor detect children or their toys in your driveway? I thought it only works above 20MPH? I also know it is programmed to ignore stationary objects, so I am confused... Could you be talking about a "back-up aid"?

Anyway, thanks.

Blind Spot monitoring only works above 20 MPH?

That's it! I'm returning it tomorrow!

:)

You think a couple kids with 20" tire tread marks on their backs would help my cause?

Honestly, I didn't know the 20 MPH rule existed. Thanks for telling me. Now I have to turn my head!

Grrrrr.....

Well, I actually have the BSM and here's my verdict:

It's a great aditional tool in the box. The blind spots, even when you're looking over your shoudler remain blind and huge, even when the side mirrors are adjusted properly.

And how much does it cost to import euro-spec CX7 mirrors? I googled the part nubmers but can't find a source that lists prices.

Blind Spot any worst than other SUVs?

Is the CX-9 blind spot really that bad compared to other SUVs? I used to have a Ford Explorer a couple of years ago, probably does not compare, usually having good side mirrors can compensate. I am looking into buying a CX-9 because I need the cargo and people capacity. I plan to do a test drive myself to see.

Is the CX-9 blind spot really that bad compared to other SUVs? I used to have a Ford Explorer a couple of years ago, probably does not compare, usually having good side mirrors can compensate

Maybe it has something to do with my height (192 cm) but from my seat position when I want to look beside or somewhat behind myself the B-pillar intercepts most of my view to the blindspot. The distance of your eyes from the mirror has another effect on the blindspot: Viewing angle proportionally decreases with with the distance.

I don't have any blindspot problems on my F-150 truck, but its mirror surface is 3-4x the CX-9's.

The EU mirror plates solved my problem.

That block feature is the best Gadget yet, we may not NEED it but I like it. It is like the computer stuck a dirty sock in the mouth of you know who.

I absolutely agree that the blind spot in the CX9 is huge. the BSM is a helpful option, I am just concerned that people will rely too heavily on it... The technology is new and like most cutting edge technologies, cannot be perfect. That is really the reason I am interested in hearing from the drivers of such systems, your opinions.

I am working on some marketing approaches for my senior project and such feedback is very helpful for me. Thanks again, guys.

Blind Spot Monitoring is great

The BSMS is a great option. I have it and it works great. Every car should have it.

My dealer is offering me a CX-9 GT with BSM as we speak ... it's not on his lot so I can't say that I've seen the thing but he told me it was at another dealer in the area (I live in Connecticut so it could be anywhere in New England actually). He also had a binder full of invoices for cars that he will be receiving when they arrive on the boat (when?) ... the bulk of the GT's had BSM.

Do you know if this is a standard item? I am looking at the invoice for the CX-9 GT built in mid October that I will be picking up this week and it shows BSM, but I am being charged for it in the itemized pricing.

Yes, I just went through the same thing. The BSM is now standard on the GT. I was ticked off when I found I was charged for it as well. ($180 invoice I think?) However, the dealers explanation made sense: Even though it is now standard, it costs money so the customer is going to pay for it. However, car companies don't change the base price of cars midyear. Therefore, they charge you a line item fee for the BSMS. Next year, it will be built into the base price of the GT and the GT will go up $180.
Even though I don't need the BSMS, it is still nice to have, especially for my wife.
(If you set the mirrors up properly on almost any car there are no blind spots. Move the drivers mirror outward so that you cannot see the side of the car unless you bend your head halfway over to the window. Now let a car pass you from behind on your left side. First he is visible in your rearview mirror, then there will be an overlap where he is visible in both the rear and the driver's mirror, and he will continue to be visible until you can see him through the window with your peripheral vision.)
That being said, perhaps one day I will not have the mirrors adjusted perfectly, and the blind spot indicator will beep and save me.

Yes, I just went through the same thing. The BSM is now standard on the GT. I was ticked off when I found I was charged for it as well. ($180 invoice I think?) However, the dealers explanation made sense: Even though it is now standard, it costs money so the customer is going to pay for it. However, car companies don't change the base price of cars midyear. Therefore, they charge you a line item fee for the BSMS. Next year, it will be built into the base price of the GT and the GT will go up $180.
Even though I don't need the BSMS, it is still nice to have, especially for my wife.
(If you set the mirrors up properly on almost any car there are no blind spots. Move the drivers mirror outward so that you cannot see the side of the car unless you bend your head halfway over to the window. Now let a car pass you from behind on your left side. First he is visible in your rearview mirror, then there will be an overlap where he is visible in both the rear and the driver's mirror, and he will continue to be visible until you can see him through the window with your peripheral vision.)
That being said, perhaps one day I will not have the mirrors adjusted perfectly, and the blind spot indicator will beep and save me.

I know that it is useful, I guess that people incorrectly tend to believe that if the car was a certain price and then a item is added as standard, that the price will remain what to was. Oh well, I guess you can't get a new GT w/o it.

Eventually you can't, but there are still thousands of GTs at lots all over the US that don't have the BSMS. For the next few months you should be able to find one with or without it.

Back