Blind Spot Monitor

Dear CX9 SportOwner,

Have you actually tried to turn your head and check your blindspots in your CX-9? I did. And I can tell you, this is probably the most important weakness of the CX-9. 80% of the blindspots remain blind after looking above your shoulders. And I believe, Mazda engineers came to the same conclusion, that's why they introduced the blindspot mirror in this model year.

The only difference that might affect our blindspots in our CX-9s is our seat positions. I am 6'-3", so my seat is almost at the farthest position from the steering wheel.

Cheers and drive safely. I keep my head turning and using my additional blindspot mirrors (those ugly stick on things) to increase road safety.

George
simple, cheap technological solution.... get the european CX-7/mazda5 mirror glass.... it is aspheric and convex on the driver's side and that will take care of 99% of the blind spot problems.... why is it not equiped here? because it's illegal (stupid US laws)

no more ugly stick on mirrors, no more head turning

Agree, however, you are formally trained to use these systems. Most car drivers don't even read their owners manuals.

Also, what if your AutoPilot and other systems you mentioned, fail? Are you going to crash? No, because you can still safely land your aircraft and I bet you're trained to fly without using these gadgets.

Does that make these systems unnecessary? No.
Can you live without them, if needed? Yes.

The point I was trying to make near the end of my reply was day in, day out this stuff really helps. While yes, I am trained to fly the airplane without the gadgets, having them increases my chance of doing it safely every time I fly for the next 25 years (as it has the last 20 years). All it takes is one second of inattention and voila!, an accident is borne. All you need to do is look at accident reports and one will see a common theme....distraction of some kind. The NAV system is great so I can actually look at the road and traffic (checking those pesky blind spots) without referring to a MapQuest printout or a real (gasp!) map! I am sure if you life in a town of 2K several gadgets are unnecessary (auto liftgate??) however, the cities I am most familiar with, Toronto, Cincinnati, Los Angeles, San Diego, an electronic force field of some kind would be my choice!

I am very curious to see how the BSMS will work in real life (ordered it for a self install when it becomes available) and hope that it is not going to be annoying with limited functionality. Has anyone heard from a Volvo owner that has it?

BTW, my nickname at work is Inspector Gadget so I guess that makes me somewhat biased towards technology and really cool gadgets.

Oh, and as one last note, how many times have we (you) almost rear ended someone while twisting our head around to check our blind spots? Makes me think we need a head position sensor that enables front/side sensors to protect us from dangers when we are not looking in that direction. Neat idea, huh???

Regards,
Gordo

Last edited:
turning your head to check your blind spot in heavy traffic is totally dangerous because that one moment you're not looking ahead, you could be rear ending someone... has happened to me, my dad, and others I know many times... it doesn't happen to me anymore because my protege has the european mirrors... this allow me to not really turn my head to check my blind spot but to just move my eyes over to check the mirrors real quick and perform my lange change... turning your head, then your eyes to look for something is a LOT slower than just moving your eyes to focus on something! this major lag time is what can be a difference between accidents or not... this practice is totally antiquated and NHTSA still preaches it and insists on having a flat driver's side mirror with the reason that it is safer because of better 1:1 ratio depth perception/distance judgement... this rational is outdated and does not keep up with today's driving demands... the europeans gotten smart by allowing the use of convex mirrors because the increased visibility outweighs the loss of detail... you don't need to see that detail when all you care about is whether there's something next to and behind you or not! if you want to judge distance, use your inside mirror since it is flat! aspheric mirrors are even better than simple convex mirrors as it is a relatively new technology.... the distortion from the convex portion of the mirror is less than it was when the mirror was just a simple convex mirror (it is now flatter) because the aspheric portion of the mirror restores the blind spot visibility that the convex portion gave up

the blind spot monitor thing is nice, but for older "low tech" cars like the protege (and the mazda3), the european mirrors is a relatively cheap and simple solution

Last edited:
Hi, I just picked up my CX-9 yesterday, and it comes with the BSMS.
It works pretty much the way it was described in the manual.

If you have a car passing you from either left or right of your vehicle, the light on the mirror will turn on. If you are about to turn, or have your sign light on, and there is a vehicle in your blindspot, you will hear a beep and the light on the mirror will be on as well.

You can also turn it off using the switch.

Hi, I just picked up my CX-9 yesterday, and it comes with the BSMS.
It works pretty much the way it was described in the manual.

If you have a car passing you from either left or right of your vehicle, the light on the mirror will turn on. If you are about to turn, or have your sign light on, and there is a vehicle in your blindspot, you will hear a beep and the light on the mirror will be on as well.

You can also turn it off using the switch.

Did you have to specify it or did it just come standard on the car? Appreciate the info.

ZoomFive

I dont think being tired of reading a bunch of whining posts about not having a gadget to replace responsible driving habits makes me rude or arrogant.

I am here to exchange USEFUL information about my car. Not piss and moan about what gadget it DIDN'T come with.

I dont think being tired of reading a bunch of whining posts about not having a gadget to replace responsible driving habits makes me rude or arrogant.

I am here to exchange USEFUL information about my car. Not piss and moan about what gadget it DIDN'T come with.

Hi. I like gadgets and useful information. The useful info that I am seeking is whether this gadget is standard on the CX-9 GT. I ordered a CX-9 GT yet to be delivered, paid a good deal of money as you did for your car, and would find it a nice surprise if it came standard with this gadget. That is the useful info that I am seeking, which I hope others can appreciate. This device does not replace responsible driving. Who are you claiming is pissing and moaning? Wow... What is wrong with you?

With any luck, the MazdaForums admins will enable the vBulletin ignore feature at some point. I can only hope.

EDIT: It's already enabled. For those with the inclination, if you click on this link: click here, you can add any individual user ID to your ignore list. Posts from that user are blanked out until you remove them from your ignore list.

Last edited:
Hmm, I find blindspot systems useful, have it in the 07 S80, works great.

I don't see the problem where it "replaces responsible driving", it's so you don't miss anything in the gazillion blind spots our SUV's have, we pay for those looks! It's in pure outward visibility! ( I have a SPORT 08 CX-9, and It would be VERY nice to have at a super low $200 bucks, Enterprise, get it!)
The blind spot system is an asset to SUV owners, especially the short ones.

Did you have to specify it or did it just come standard on the car? Appreciate the info.

ZoomFive
I actually asked for it, because when I test drive the car and try to look over my shoulder, I dont think I can see a small car like MX-5 in my blindspot, I'm only 5"5 :)

But I was told that future 08 GT will come standard with it.

Hi. I like gadgets and useful information. The useful info that I am seeking is whether this gadget is standard on the CX-9 GT. I ordered a CX-9 GT yet to be delivered, paid a good deal of money as you did for your car, and would find it a nice surprise if it came standard with this gadget. That is the useful info that I am seeking, which I hope others can appreciate. This device does not replace responsible driving. Who are you claiming is pissing and moaning? Wow... What is wrong with you?

It is standard on all GT's but it is a late availability. It is suppose to be on all GT's by late fall of 07, so if you don't have your vehicle yet chances are it will come with it. I am waiting for my ordered GT to arrive, it was built on 10/3 and I am being told it will have the BSM on it. If you have your vin# you can call Mazda USA and ask them if your vehicle will have it.

Here is an idea...............you CAN see what the title of this thread is....if you don't have an interest in it..................DON'T READ IT! (screwy) Useful information? There hasn't been one useful thing you have posted in this thread. Many people have questions/interest about this option. Obviously you don't want it, care about it, or think the option is worthwhile, so why keep posting in this particular thread????????

Last edited:
My dealer is offering me a CX-9 GT with BSM as we speak ... it's not on his lot so I can't say that I've seen the thing but he told me it was at another dealer in the area (I live in Connecticut so it could be anywhere in New England actually). He also had a binder full of invoices for cars that he will be receiving when they arrive on the boat (when?) ... the bulk of the GT's had BSM.

I couldn't have said it better! For some reason Sportsowner and njerald think they are smarter than everyone else here.(notcool) I am on the MX-5 forum also, and you don't get any of these saracastic/rude comments over there no matter what the question.
Yeah! I've been on one forum, meatatuhs.nets, a great forum with nice people on it, helped a noob like me ask what would be a "stupid" question here.

It is standard on all GT's but it is a late availability. It is suppose to be on all GT's by late fall of 07, so if you don't have your vehicle yet chances are it will come with it. I am waiting for my ordered GT to arrive, it was built on 10/3 and I am being told it will have the BSM on it. If you have your vin# you can call Mazda USA and ask them if your vehicle will have it.

The conditions of my purchase are a little strange. The dealer ordered a car for me under S-Plan pricing minus 500. He has modified a car at the factory to suit my specifics and it was supposed to have gone into production in the 2nd week of October with expected delivery in December/early January. He has stated that he will not have the invoice or VIN to show me until November. Once I get the VIN, I'll certainly look into it.

- ZoomFive

Here is an idea...............you CAN see what the title of this thread is....if you don't have an interest in it..................DON'T READ IT! (screwy) Useful information? There hasn't been one useful thing you have posted in this thread. Many people have questions/interest about this option. Obviously you don't want it, care about it, or think the option is worthwhile, so why keep posting in this particular thread????????

I think cx9 sportowner has all the right to express whatever he likes or dislikes about cx-9's features and specs. When I read his suggestion of "turning your head" in fact it amused me, it was like, hey, he's right, every car has had that "blind spot monitor system" forever haha. Of course, maybe the way he said offended some people, but aint no reason. I think that BSMS is a great option, especially for only 200 bucks, really really great. Many times u can live without technology but when u have it, most of the time it represents great value , safety and fun.

The conditions of my purchase are a little strange. The dealer ordered a car for me under S-Plan pricing minus 500. He has modified a car at the factory to suit my specifics and it was supposed to have gone into production in the 2nd week of October with expected delivery in December/early January. He has stated that he will not have the invoice or VIN to show me until November. Once I get the VIN, I'll certainly look into it.

- ZoomFive

My car has been confirmed to arrive with this installed as a standard item. It'll be a good item to have.

I am really interested in how this blind spot system is working for the owners who have it. I have heard mixed reviews from people who have driven such systems and I would like to have the thoughts specifically with this CX9 system. I have driven the CX9 system, but I would like the thoughts of others.... if you could be so kind. Thanks!

Back