Black Mazda Ebay rear emblems?

veritas80

23' CX5 Turbo
:
SI, NY
Anyone opt for the black ebay rear emblems? Namely the main Mazda emblem and the CX-5 emblem? I tried using hyper dip to cover them and it didn't go well. I might have applied to many coats at too close of a distance. The peel wouldn't break at the edges and pulled away from the emblem itself. It just didn't work out. Unfortunately i live in a place without adequate room to try this a second time (no garage, driveway etc). I was wondering if anyone opted for just buying the ebay black badges? Can't find the Skyactive badge but I might just ditch it altogether.

Also had a thought to ask if anyone had just removed the logos and replaced them with OEM ones that you painted and then put back on. The OEM badges aren't that expensive. It occurred to me that i could just order them, spray them separately and affix them to the car. Just don't know if the OEM badges, especially the M logo are attached at any other points besides the tape to hold them down.
Thoughts?

Can't find the Skyactive badge but I might just ditch it altogether.

FYI The CX-5 and Skyactiv badges are pinned. So you'll need something to cover the holes if you do remove them.

Unfortunately i live in a place without adequate room to try this a second time (no garage, driveway etc).

Here's a pic on a fb group of one blacked out with Black hyperdip (not my photo). Black out emblems look good on a white vehicle.

1661689843615.png

You can get some pretty good results out of these products. I'd give the dip another try, nothing to stop you from trying again in a large, public, parking lot, since you already bought and have the product. If not satisfactory, try new emblems.

FYI The CX-5 and Skyactiv badges are pinned. So you'll need something to cover the holes if you do remove them.

Here's a pic on a fb group of one blacked out with Black hyperdip (not my photo). Black out emblems look good on a white vehicle.

View attachment 312604

You can get some pretty good results out of these products. I'd give the dip another try, nothing to stop you from trying again in a large, public, parking lot, since you already bought and have the product. If not satisfactory, try new emblems.
Thanks for the info and pics. For the badges I used the newer Hyper Dip. I'm wondering if I should try the older Plastidip. It is a little more of a matte finish but I heard its a little more forgiving when applying. Not sure though.

I also did read that the all the badges were pinned so the idea would be, buy new OEM badges, spray them. Remove the old ones and replace with the new sprayed ones.

But maybe i'll try it again.

The gloss in that photo looks better (to me) than the matte Plastidip. I've used Plastidip in the past, but not Hyper Dip. It used to be you had to add a second gloss product to Plastidip, now they sell a Gloss Black version as well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Also, I recommend holding your breath and using goggles when spraying, these are very toxic sprays.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link...so I assume the locating pins for the emblems are really just to guide you into getting them in the right place?

Thanks for that link...so I assume the locating pins for the emblems are really just to guide you into getting them in the right place?
Correct, the pins fit in the holes to position the Mazda emblem in the center. It still had gummy adhesive to hold it on like the others which had no pins. This is on my 2014 Touring. I understand later models have pins on the 'skyactiv' emblem as well. Someone else could chime in to verify this as I'm going from memory.

I haven't installed them yet but i used duplicolors shadow
chrome to paint my side rails black chrome.

I tried to make a tiered camo varying the coats to make different shades of gray/black.
The more coats the better it looks. Hope it looks good once it's attached to the CX5.

Plan to do the emblems in shadow chrome as well. It looks sleek.

Will post pics of the rails tomorrow.

Just a more permament option for you to consider.

I also did read that the all the badges were pinned so the idea would be, buy new OEM badges, spray them. Remove the old ones and replace with the new sprayed ones.
Rather than buy, paint, remove old and replace with new, why not just remove and paint the one you have?

Yeah, it's a lot more hassle which requires you to use solvent and a heat gun, then floss or nylon thread to peel off the emblems. Then, having to apply new adhesive, not to mention the solvent will remove any wax coat on your new car which you will then need to reapply. Should be much easier to mask it off and spray with a removable rubberized coating.

Yeah, it's a lot more hassle which requires you to use solvent and a heat gun, then floss or nylon thread to peel off the emblems. Then, having to apply new adhesive, not to mention the solvent will remove any wax coat on your new car which you will then need to reapply. Should be much easier to mask it off and spray with a removable rubberized coating.
I tried the mask off and spray the attached emblems with Plastidip. That's the mess that caused me to remove them and paint them for a much better job with a more durable coating. The Plastidip made a continuous rubber sheet that peeled itself off of the emblems when removing the masking tape. I didn't want to use a sharp knife to cut around the emblems and damage the paint. For me it was a mess and a waste of money since I had no further uses for the Plastidip. Apparently others had better success.

You have to peel the masking tape off before the Plastidip has dried (i.e. right after spraying) or you will get the result you experienced.

You have to peel the masking tape off before the Plastidip has dried (i.e. right after spraying) or you will get the result you experienced.
Oh, I hear you. I used to assemble and paint model cars in my youth. That Plastidip was drying so fast it was pulling and making strings. Maybe the weather was too warm. I did choose an overcast day. Is life worth living now that I failed at Plastidip (LOL).

Anyone opt for the black ebay rear emblems? Namely the main Mazda emblem and the CX-5 emblem? I tried using hyper dip to cover them and it didn't go well. I might have applied to many coats at too close of a distance. The peel wouldn't break at the edges and pulled away from the emblem itself. It just didn't work out. Unfortunately i live in a place without adequate room to try this a second time (no garage, driveway etc). I was wondering if anyone opted for just buying the ebay black badges? Can't find the Skyactive badge but I might just ditch it altogether.
I hyperdipped mine gloss black and after 3 car washes are already showing chrome in some spots. I’ve now ordered a set of all of the oem emblems including turbo and awd. I just finished painting them gloss black and will put them on the car after clear coat cures. Here is existing hyperdip:

Attachments

• 85673C8C-2305-4C9D-A60C-E8DC66E0929B.jpeg
    85673C8C-2305-4C9D-A60C-E8DC66E0929B.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 140
IMG_1397.JPG
IMG_1398.JPG
IMG_1399.JPG
IMG_1400.JPG

I had the local body shop do mine. They just ordered a new set, painted and installed. I've done that on my last 3 CX-5s. I tried the 'plasti-dip' and I was not happy with the result.

I hate chrome.

I am considering having the inside text painted white.

Car needs a wash apparently. ;)

Back