Are emblems removable? 2017 CX-5

I had time to do a little research. They are both connected via holes in sheet metal so for me, that is a no go if I want black emblems, plastidip is my answer

Wouldn't the SkyActiv badge just look like a black bar after plastidipping it?

What about "tinting" the bar/emblems with some transparent tail light tinting paint like VHT Nite-Shades? Harder to do than Plasti-Dip because you'd either have to mask the emblems off really well or remove them, paint, and re-install.

attachment.php

Yes you can remove them. Yes there are holes behind them.

Plastidipping has been a pain. Watched dozens of youtube vids to learn. Ive tried it twice already. Taking time to do all the prep, masking and time spent for 4 coats of drying time. When I peel it off some of the chrome emblems show so I just remove it all.

Its not coming out bad, but just not perfect. [emoji37]

I took the SkyActiv emblem off of my 2017 6, and there were no holes. It was just stuck on.
Are you sure the CX-5 is not the same?
Makes no sense to have one emblem as a sticky on the 6, and another emblem (with the same design) with pins and holes in the sheet metal.

After messing around (messing as in a mess) with plastidip, I painted my cx-5's rear emblems black.To make the paint stick better I tried to scuff up the chrome and found out that it's like real chrome plating on the plastic and chrome is a hard substance.and there is the risk of rounding off sharp edges and ruining the looks if you get too aggressive.
I ended up painting them first with an "etching primer" and top coated with a black Rustoleum.Not wanting shiny black or dull flat black I used semi-gloss which actually was the better choice.They never chipped or peeled in the 2 years they endured the elements.

All of them were stuck on with some gummy adhesive which I scraped off before painting and used to reattach.The "cx-5" letters had no locating pins on the backside,just adhesive.The big "M" had two(?) locating pins on the backside that fit into holes in the sheetmetal.The "skyactiv" emblem I think was only adhesive,no holes.
Finally got tired of the black look and bought OEM stock,chrome,emblems off ebay and went back to original look.Was not particularly cheap (go price out new emblems at some places--- the prices of these pieces of plastic will shock you).These were installed with "3M AUTO super strength molding tape".Basically double sided sticky tape for attaching automotive trim pieces.It works well so position things properly before putting them in place.It helps to take a few measurements before removing emblems so they go back the same and don't look crooked.
So, black emblems--- been there and done that.Turned out to be a passing fancy. Good luck whatever you do. Jmaz

Plastidipping has been a pain. Watched dozens of youtube vids to learn. I*ve tried it twice already. Taking time to do all the prep, masking and time spent for 4 coats of drying time. When I peel it off some of the chrome emblems show so I just remove it all. [emoji37]

Hmmm, once it drys completely, are you taking a razor blade/exacto knife and lighting cutting around the back of the emblem? You don't need to apply a lot of pressure, just enough to separate the plastidip. After that it should peel off rather easy and not take any of the platidip from the emblem. That's how I've done it to a few different cars and never had any issues. Make sure you give it enough time to dry also.

You certainly had a better experience than me.Two attempts to get it right failed.Both times it peeled off the emblems when removing the surrounding excess and I used blue painters tape to minimize overspray.Maybe I was too timid when using a knife to trim around the emblems.It's easy to cut into the paint. Jmaz

I wanted a clean look, but didn't want to mess with the holes. I purchased new rear badges and painted them black to match the rest of my CX-5. Very happy with the results.

Post #11 you weren't doing something right then. I've plastidipped the rear emblems and never had to use anything but my fingers to remove the excess dip. You start pulling from the area you masked off beyond the emblems and then it will just separate naturally when it comes to the edge of the emblem. They provide a "special" cleaning/prep solution when you buy their kit. Maybe that helped me with this process in that the dip adhered better to the emblems? Even the AWD which has those tiny spaces you need to remove dip from after came out great.

Back