Bent Rim

nyc1dxo

20" Alloy Rims
Wife claims see ran over a pothole but never saw it coming. I take a look and see that the tire pressure was low on the rear tire. Started to pump air into the tire but it would hold the air because the rim was bent on the inside. I took the tire off and pounded the rim with a 10lb hammer until I could get it as close to its original shape. It seems to work just fine as the tire is still holding the pressure.
But is the rim OK?

(eekdance)(burn)no! would you trust that repair if your kids(if you have any) was in the car. have a professional look at before something really turns ugly.

20" Alloy Rims
Wife claims see ran over a pothole but never saw it coming. I take a look and see that the tire pressure was low on the rear tire. Started to pump air into the tire but it would hold the air because the rim was bent on the inside. I took the tire off and pounded the rim with a 10lb hammer until I could get it as close to its original shape. It seems to work just fine as the tire is still holding the pressure.
But is the rim OK?

Are you talking about the lip of the rim where the bead of the tire seals too?

These are cast allow rims which means... it will crack there so get a new rim

Unless the bend itself was minimal, you have definitely weakened the alloy to the point where it may be unsafe. You really don't know yet if the wheel is completely airtight. It could still be losing air, just much less over a longer period of time.

If it were my family, I'd delegate this wheel to to spare duty and begin looking for a fair price on a used/reconditioned wheel. Sometimes, these 20's get pricey (even for used), I'd start looking. As reference, I bought a used 20 from Blackburn Wheel (they're on the web and on ebay), and mounted it on a nearly new OE Bridgtestone to use as a spare. It ran me $175 shipped with a few minor paint blemishes. I've seen reconditioned for about $250. I actually prefer used to reconditioned, because you really never know how badly bent a reconditioned wheel was prior to repair. Wherever you buy, make sure they guarantee that the wheel will spin true and without runout.

Last edited:
there are places that will fix bent rims. It was a common problem in my BMW, and I have to get a rim fixed once b/c it bent, and the other time, I had to replace both right rims b/c they cracked. Really sucks, but I would NOT mess with trying to fix it yourself.

Go to youtube, and do a search for "rim and wheelworks" ... I believe they have a video on there and they show you how they fix bent rims.

Back