Battery Replacement

unwrittenLaw

Contributor
:
2015 BMW 335i Sedan / 2015 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum 4WD
Has anyone changed out the stock battery in the MSP? If so what did you replace it with?

Also, anyone have good grounding kits available..

Thanks

Last edited:
get your grounding kit from 1st mp3 in NH, he makes an awesome set and you are helping a forum member. If you want to get a great battery go with the optima red top or yellow top.

EDIT: /\ /\ /\ /\ lol, beat me to the punch.

1st is working on getting some more terminals for his kit, apparently he bought out his whole area and nobody has them:D. Although, he told me just a couple of nights ago that he has all of the colors again, so if you wanted only the wires without the terminals, then you could probably get one now.

Optima yellowtop is a good battery.

thanks for the info....what about those ground kits that add power with the voltage regulator box or something...? sry dont know much about grounding kits...

damnn...ebay has some good stuff...but yellowtop has several different models... hmmm

so an Optima Red Top will fit in our MSPs? also, will a better battery like an Optima fix the light flickering and weak power that the stock MSP battery causes...?

I am a nowhere near an expert but most of the Optimas on here that people suggest are of the deap-cycle variety. Personally I think you're nuts to go with a deep cycle battery unless you're running some sort of accessory that you know is too much for your alternator to keep up with. Just my 2 cents though.

Hey unwrittenlaw! I'm using the optima yellow top. It is a deep cycle battery that can be discharged completely over 250 times. The optimas are awesome and are a gel cell, meaning no leaking and can be mounted any position. I learned my lesson with my last car (Subaru) the hard way out here in the desert when I had battery acid take out my whole electrical system. I think the red top will probably drop in the stock tray fine, but the yellow top is a little bit longer and about an inch shorter. I just bought a cheap $4 battery tray and added it on top of the stock tray and used the tie down to hold it in place. Here's a pic. Hope this helps and good luck!

fmicmotor2.jpg

Anyone else ever toy with the idea of moving the battery to the trunk, or possibly getting a smaller battery, such as a hawking or odyssey? I was thinking about getting a smaller batter and moving the coolant overflow can to allow for more intake room, such as a better ram intake with heat shield of some sort.

so would you guys recommend getting a better battery first, before getting a grounding kit. or get the grounding kit first?

do both at the same time... its alot easier to run new grounds with the battery out

well i was just thinking of doing one or the other for now...to fix the flickering lights, etc...a few people have thought i was flashing them on the highway when I rolled up my window, and flipped me off...pretty sad.

in that case the battery is easier... if you go with the yellow youll need to dremel off the rear lip of the plastic battery tray in order for it to sit flat/flush. i also drilled 2 holes in the tray and used zip ties to secure the tray to the batteries bottom plate. good luck

Back