2016 CX-5 Sport key fob battery died in about a month

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
The key fob battery had died after about two years of usage. So, replaced the CR2025 battery about a month or so ago with a Duracell. Yesterday, the key fob would not work. Had to replace it again. What could cause the battery to die so fast? Has anyone experienced this issue?

Whenever I change batteries, in anything, I always check the new battery with my multimeter.

True, the battery being tested is not under any sort of load when I check it but if the voltage is over the stated amount, it normally means that the battery is good.

So, I was at the store when this happened and could not find a CR2025. They only had CR2032, which I was able to use after checking online.
Yeah, the 2032 is a bit thicker (.7mm) and the little internal "cover" won't quite fit right but the key fob still snaps back together. The 2032 is a higher capacity battery and will serve you mo-gooder-er 😁

Bought some batteries off Amazon for my Volvo fob. Went through all 5 of them in a couple of months. Never again.

I have a couple of button batteries in the glove compartment just in case.

To OP,
Do you keep your fob close to the vehicle? Says, within 10 feet.
If yes, the fob keeps communicating to the vehicles on interval.
That drains battery of the fob.

I don't think that's true at all. I believe it's passive. You press the unlock button and the car then looks for the fob. If it finds it, then it unlocks. You would have to build way more tech into the fob if you enable it to know it's near the car and then starts to broadcast.

The key fob battery had died after about two years of usage. So, replaced the CR2025 battery about a month or so ago with a Duracell. Yesterday, the key fob would not work. Had to replace it again. What could cause the battery to die so fast? Has anyone experienced this issue?
You could have got low-quality、out-of-date counterfeit batteries. Don’t buy any batteries from that store.

I have a couple of button batteries in the glove compartment just in case.

To OP,
Do you keep your fob close to the vehicle? Says, within 10 feet.
If yes, the fob keeps communicating to the vehicles on interval.
That drains battery of the fob.
OP’s original battery lasts for 2 years. I don’t believe your scenario matters as he won’t change his habit on this.

You could have got low-quality、out-of-date counterfeit batteries. Don’t buy any batteries from that store.
I know. My original batteries last over 4 years. I bought some from the local drug store and they have lasted for over 2 years now. Never buying from Amazon again.

LOL No, they were a name brand. I just think they were sitting on a shelf for maybe years...

I know. My original batteries last over 4 years. I bought some from the local drug store and they have lasted for over 2 years now. Never buying from Amazon again.

I've been buying batteries from Amazon for years and NEVER had an issue with so called counterfeit batteries. I've bought just about every name brand of battery from Amazon and their house brand. NEVER an issue.

Back in the day when I used to have to work for a living, I was in charge of purchasing for my department, everything from batteries to computers. Guess where I purchased the batteries from?

And that's cool, Conrad. Glad you've had success. I'll continue to get mine from Discount Drug Mart that is on my way to work. ;)

I don't think that's true at all. I believe it's passive. You press the unlock button and the car then looks for the fob. If it finds it, then it unlocks. You would have to build way more tech into the fob if you enable it to know it's near the car and then starts to broadcast.
Stand corrected.
- from Wiki
The system works by having a series of LF (low frequency 125 kHz) transmitting antennas both inside and outside the vehicle. The external antennas are located in the door handles. When the vehicle is triggered, either by pulling the handle or touching the handle, an LF signal is transmitted from the antennas to the key. The key becomes activated if it is sufficiently close and it transmits its ID back to the vehicle via RF (Radio frequency >300 MHz) to a receiver located in the vehicle. If the key has the correct ID, the PASE module unlocks the vehicle.

That proves me correct. Thanks.

The key becomes active AFTER the car looks for it. Not simply because it is in proximity.

"When the vehicle is triggered...() a signal is sent...."

Back