Battery question for 2016 CX5

sangs

:
mazda
Today I dropped off car (2016 CX5) at mechanic place for a small dent work evening when I picked up, car was not starting. Mechanic told ,it might be because car battery was down as he was working on door dent work keeping the door opened. Then he jump started the car and car started. He told as this car battery was not changed for last 6 years, battery life would have reached.

so my question for this 2016 CX5 battery
1. How to know that battery in the car original battery came with my car when I purchased brand new ( this is just to be sure that mechanic didn't replace my battery with some bad battery )
2. How to know that battery reached end of life ?
3. Which battery model I should buy new and from where should I buy and save money . Is there any coupons I can use ? ( I have Costco and Walmart nearby )

Changed original battery 2 weeks ago in my 2016.5 Touring since there was hesitation when starting in the cold weather. Plus it had died (left lights on for 5 minutes) few times before. It was a Panasonic. Replacement is Interstate from Costco (Group 35, 650 CCA). Costco only has Interstate. Cheapest I could find. Walmart has an Everest in the same range. Changed it myself (I am not a technical or DIY car repair person) somehow without much trouble. Battery is very heavy though.

This and some other threads helped

Last edited:
Today I dropped off car (2016 CX5) at mechanic place for a small dent work evening when I picked up, car was not starting. Mechanic told ,it might be because car battery was down as he was working on door dent work keeping the door opened. Then he jump started the car and car started. He told as this car battery was not changed for last 6 years, battery life would have reached.

1. How to know that battery in the car original battery came with my car when I purchased brand new ( this is just to be sure that mechanic didn't replace my battery with some bad battery )
3. Which battery model I should buy new and from where should I buy and save money . Is there any coupons I can use ? ( I have Costco and Walmart nearby )
1. Like Mazdauser100 mentioned above, stock battery is a Panasonic battery from Japan which isn’t available in the US. It has white plastic casing with black top and here’s the picture:

DFF89A3D-1CAD-4335-935A-6435A24B5D52.jpeg

Depending on where are you located, the car battery in our hot north Texas usually lasts 4 ~ 6 years. Remember US 2016 CX-5 came out in Feb. 2015, your stock Panasonic battery is more than 6 years old, most likely is due to be replaced.

2. When the service life of a car battery is about done, you’ll have trouble to crank the engine consistently especially when the weather is getting cold. On your 2016 CX-5 with Electrical Parking Brake you’ll have trouble to engage and release the EPB. The best way to determine the condition of the battery is to “load test” the battery with a device. You can load test the battery at any auto parts stores such as AutoZone for free.

3. Since you do have Costco membership, go to Costco and get a Group 35 Interstate battery:

A8426224-D2E2-4D85-8101-413AEDB424C8.jpeg

$78.99 is the pre-pandemic price, right now it’s $99.99! You have to install Costco battery by yourself, and make a second trip taking the old battery back for $15 core charge refund.

If you don’t want DIY for battery replacement, you can go to WalMart and get Group 35 EverStart Maxx battery for $98.76 (was $88 rollback price in December), and they’ll do the installation for free.

1. Like Mazdauser100 mentioned above, stock battery is a Panasonic battery from Japan which isn’t available in the US. It has white plastic casing with black top and here’s the picture:

View attachment 306248

Depending on where are you located, the car battery in our hot north Texas usually lasts 4 ~ 6 years. Remember US 2016 CX-5 came out in Feb. 2015, your stock Panasonic battery is more than 6 years old, most likely is due to be replaced.

2. When the service life of a car battery is about done, you’ll have trouble to crank the engine consistently especially when the weather is getting cold. On your 2016 CX-5 with Electrical Parking Brake you’ll have trouble to engage and release the EPB. The best way to determine the condition of the battery is to “load test” the battery with a device. You can load test the battery at any auto parts stores such as AutoZone for free.

3. Since you do have Costco membership, go to Costco and get a Group 35 Interstate battery:

View attachment 306249

$78.99 is the pre-pandemic price, right now it’s $99.99! You have to install Costco battery by yourself, and make a second trip taking the old battery back for $15 core charge refund.

If you don’t want DIY for battery replacement, you can go to WalMart and get Group 35 EverStart Maxx battery for $98.76 (was $88 rollback price in December), and they’ll do the installation for free.
My car model is 2016 CX 5 touring AWD.
When I am searching Walmart there are many EverStart $129 range.
In Costco it's showing 26R/540/36 for $88.99
So I am confused .am I looking at Correct item ?

My car model is 2016 CX 5 touring AWD.
When I am searching Walmart there are many EverStart $129 range.
In Costco it's showing 26R/540/36 for $88.99
So I am confused .am I looking at Correct item ?
Group 26R is a bit smaller than Group 35 battery, both will fit CX-5. In fact, Group 35 battery is still a little shorter than stock Panasonic battery. The CCA on Group 35 is 640, but Group 26R is 540. So you really want to choose Group 35 battery over Group 26R battery. BTW, the rollback price $88 on WalMart.com showed up again when I just searched it.

BDB28508-DB7F-4B5D-B13B-0B3CFAC16F10.jpeg

BTW, at WalMart, other than size、CCA、and price differences, Group 35 EverStart Maxx battery carries 3-year free replacement warranty, but Group 26R EverStart Value battery carries 1-year free replacement warranty.

BTW, at WalMart, other than size、CCA、and price differences, Group 35 EverStart Maxx battery carries 3-year free replacement warranty, but Group 26R EverStart Value battery carries 1-year free replacement warranty.
Looks like my Walmart is jacking up prize 😐😐😐. Problem of being in California I believe 🙄🙄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220104-115914.jpg
    Screenshot_20220104-115914.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 118

If you weren't having problems before the mechanic ran down your battery you could possibly get additional life from it with a thorough overnight recharge using a Smart charger.

Looks like my Walmart is jacking up prize 😐😐😐. Problem of being in California I believe 🙄🙄
Ha, must be because the lead-acid battery has too much hazard material for WalMart in California to handle?

I’d got a couple of Castrol Edge 0W-20 oil 5-quart jugs at San Jose WalMart several weeks ago, the rollback price is the same as online and in Texas though. And the price on Group 35 Interstate battery at Costco is the same between San Jose and Dallas too.

Last edited:
If you weren't having problems before the mechanic ran down your battery you could possibly get additional life from it with a thorough overnight recharge using a Smart charger.
And add distilled water to each cell too as after 6 years the electrolyte level will be low ⋯

Honestly the car battery usually lasts longer in California due to the nice weather. May be it’s worth the hassle for OP to take the battery to AutoZone for a load test and see if the battery really needs to be replaced.

I've had great luck with Costco batteries. They have full 3 year no questions asked replacement warranty. I just pull from vehicle and take with me so I don't have to make another trip with core.

Looks like they have different (lower price 98.76 at Mountain View CA, Walmart) when using mobile app. Seems like varies by store. Actually, same price using desktop browser also. So price seem to vary by store.

Last edited:
-I don't know why I am not seeing this item in Costco online. Is it available only in store ? If you have online link, please give
- I will go to AutoZone for load test as well . So far battery is working. But let's see
- what is dealer price on the original battery ? Should I check with dealership ?

dealer price is up at 170$ msrp or 120$ if you manage to get the discount.
Think the consensus is that Costco or Walmart is best price.

-I don't know why I am not seeing this item in Costco online. Is it available only in store ? If you have online link, please give
- I will go to AutoZone for load test as well . So far battery is working. But let's see
- what is dealer price on the original battery ? Should I check with dealership ?
Due to HAZMAT compliance requirements, shipping is currently unavailable for automotive batteries.

Costco Interstate Batteries Search Results

2F51CEA6-035F-4C29-B875-45A9B3B5ACF2.jpeg

BD3CFFC5-82EF-4B4D-9957-1B1AC68C6151.jpeg

The OEM Mazda High-Performance battery sold by Mazda dealers is made by Intetstste with 550 CCA (NOT Panasonic) and the price is $120 ~ $170 as cz5gt mentioned above. I paid ~$120 15 months ago.

168CC09C-7287-410E-8323-F63E25E33B70.jpeg

72F3603B-3671-4862-AD50-719D97532E2D.jpeg

6FD2EC20-BCCD-4A62-AEFB-EAD9F60E9E9A.jpeg

Since the battery life is longer in California, Just go get your Panasonic battery tested to verify the condition of the battery.

Update : I went to AutoZone and tested it today . Guy at AutoZone came with a voltmeter kind of thing and tested . He told it's load test and after testing it he told battery is 😞.

While searching Costco.com, it's showing these options. I should select cold package right ? If the price is same as store, I can just order online and return old battery to store right?

Screenshot_20220114-202602~2.jpg

Update : I went to AutoZone and tested it today . Guy at AutoZone came with a voltmeter kind of thing and tested . He told it's load test and after testing it he told battery is 😞.
While searching Costco.com, it's showing these options. I should select cold package right ? If the price is same as store, I can just order online and return old battery to store right ?View attachment 306524
For some reason the Interstate battery website for Costco is asking non-existent “Cold Weathrf Package” option when we selected CX-5. If you select “Standard (1)” and “Standard (2)”, you’ll see Group 26R (540 CCA)、Group 35 (640 CCA),and Group 35 AGM (650 CCA) 3 diffrtent batteries. I’d choose Group 35 standard flooded battery with 640 CCA for the best value.

Since shipping a standard flooded auto battery is not possible from Costco, you have to go to a local Costco and pick up one, install it by yourself, then return the old battery for the core charge; or just find a ride taking the old battery with you and complete the purchase / return process in one trip.

Or go to WalMart and have them install a new EverStsrt Maxx Group 35 battery.

Back