Battery issues with 2018 CX-5

I just bought my used 2018 CX-5 and got it delivered last week.

The battery died twice on me today unexpectedly, and it seems there is some sort of issue with the key fobs (both). The Dash is saying key fobs not recognized and it doesn't seem to be responding to them properly, as it won't lock from the exterior but seems to be fine to unlock.

The red security indicator light is also flashing every 2 seconds on the dash when the vehicle is shut off? However looking online that seems to be normal?

The only thing I can think of that wouldve drained the battery is the dashcam I have plugged into the V12 outlet but that seems to shut off with the car.

Anyone seen this or have any advice?

Edit: I looked around online and it seems like the security light flashing when the engine is off is totally normal. Seen that on multiple videos and one from a dealer confirmed it. Also got both fobs working without issue, sounds like there is a sleep mode they can go into. My second fob wasnt working but it is now. I tried the pressing lock 4 times then holding it the fifth and that seems to have worked.

I still cant figure out what drained the battery though, perhaps something was left on and drained it. I got it charged now and it seems to be fine, will see if it is still good tomorrow. I unplugged that dash cam on the front 12V socket, even though I think that it doesnt drain.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of the troubles, but glad for the semi-sorting.
I tuned-in here just because we have the same model/year: for less than 4 months now, & am still learning here myself.

Possibly sounds a bit like parastic drain from somewhere ....... or, is there EVER any red warning light/text in the dash multi-information display after you shut-down the engine? I learned this little quirk the hard way: make sure to L:confused::cautious:K there & heed it before locking-up.

If interested, here's a post explaining a different/stronger fob battery, & I might try this hack on the next battery resupply:

G' luck !!

Last edited:
This sounds exactly like my battery issue when my battery died on me. Something appears to be draining your battery.

This sounds exactly like my battery issue when my battery died on me. Something appears to be draining your battery.

This morning I went out as soon as I woke up, and just like yesterday, it started, but had a bit of trouble turning over.

I booked in at the local Mazda dealer next Thursday for the AA upgrade, and I will get them to look at the battery and see if it needs replacing.

It may be that somehow the dashcam that I had been leaving plugged into the 12v socket under the climate controls was still drawing, despite it appearing not to when the car was off. Nonetheless I will see if I have more issues with it before next Thursday.

Other than that the key fobs are working fine, and I have no reason to think there is a more serious issue.

Try unplugging the dashcam at night to see if it starts up better in the morning.

Where do you keep your keyfobs? If a keyfob is kept too close to the vehicle, the car may not go to "sleep", which could result in the battery drain. Also, a device left plugged into a USB port could also cause battery drain.

I believe there was also a Service Alert for the power liftgate module draining the battery. Here's a link to a post with more info, including the Service Alert document numbers and the Special Service Program that resulted from the Service Alerts.

I just bought my used 2018 CX-5 and got it delivered last week.

The battery died twice on me today unexpectedly, and it seems there is some sort of issue with the key fobs (both). ⋯
You have a 2018 CX-5 if your battery looks like this:

945530FC-A155-4857-8E1A-A693A5F65DE6.jpeg

You still have the Panasonic battery from factory. It’s time to get a new one.

You can go to any auto parts store and let them do a “load test” checking out the battery performance before you make a decision to replace it.

I believe there was also a Service Alert for the power liftgate module draining the battery. Here's a link to a post with more info, including the Service Alert document numbers and the Special Service Program that resulted from the Service Alerts.
This Special Service Program (SSP) C2 for battery drained-out problem caused by poor software logic in power liftgate control unit is for 2020 CX-5 and 2019~2020 CX-9. OP’s 2018 CX-5 isn’t affected even if his has the power liftgate.

Measure the voltage with a multi-meter (costs $10 at Walmart).
The voltage should be about 12.6V without alternator running.
(2.1V per cell, 6 cells in a battery)

After 4-5 yrs, I would replace it.
Don't want to take risk getting stranded somewhere.
Usually on a rainy day... :confused:

Yeah I suspect it may be the dashcam. I will unplug it overnight now. After running a bunch of errands today it seems to be starting fine.

I have an appointment next Thursday at Mazda to have them do the AA upgrade, and they will check the battery level then and if needed I can replace it.

For the moment I have a booster pack I can keep in the car.

the 12V socket doesn't turn off. it's probably the dash cam

Even the one under the climate controls? I am not taking about the one in the console with the USB ports. I tried it with the dash cam before and the cam did indeed keep running when the car was off when connected to that one.

I don't have the power hatch, so it definitely is not that.

I did find a decent set of continental 225-65-17 winter tires on steel rims off of a 2016 CX-5 on facebook that I am going to go pick up tomorrow for $500. Seems like a decent deal.

Also any advice on what type of cloth or cleaning solution to use to clean the interior? The dash and handles are a bit dirty, tbh I wasn't super happy with how the dealership cleaned it on delivery. I want to wipe it down a bit myself this weekend, but in the past every time I clean a car it is very streaky.

Last edited:
the one (12v aux socket) under the controls turns off but if your dashcam is sending back some interference it may trick the car computer and keep it alive. Less likely but possible.
Your battery may be dying as well if it was never changed since 2018. Start with it.

cleaning dash -> pure water and microfiber

Back