Votes: 17 33.3%
  • CX-50

Votes: 34 66.7%

• Total voters
:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Based on looks alone, which would you choose - 2021 gen CX-5 or CX-50?

They're both going to be great. One could argue cute vs handsome, sporty vs. rugged, compact vs bigger and more utilitarian, unique looks vs more everyday, and other aesthetics. But if everything else was equal as far as driving dynamics, fuel economy, interior, performance, and you just saw each of these on the lot, which would you choose based on looks alone if there were no other criteria?

Both of these are more than enough to satisfy me, and if we're being honest, looks have always played at least some part in most of our car buying decisions

I vote for CX50, but getting 2023 CX5 in Feb. It will be for my wife and she does not appreciate wider vehicle, which presents challenges for her with many narrow parking spaces in CA.

I vote for the current 2021 CX-5 or upcoming 2022 CX-5 (I like the matching body color fender moldings on top trim). I don't like the flat black vinyl on the hood, large fender moldings and I don't need A/T tires either but I like the interior! If they come up with a more "urban" or regular version I may change my mind...😉

Based on looks alone, which would you choose - 2021 gen CX-5 or CX-50?

They're both going to be great. One could argue cute vs handsome, sporty vs. rugged, compact vs bigger and more utilitarian, unique looks vs more everyday, and other aesthetics. But if everything else was equal as far as driving dynamics, fuel economy, interior, performance, and you just saw each of these on the lot, which would you choose based on looks alone if there were no other criteria?

Both of these are more than enough to satisfy me, and if we're being honest, looks have always played at least some part in most of our car buying decisions
You have this poll but pics to make the comparison?

You have this poll but pics to make the comparison?

Pics for comparison :)

CX-5:
2022-Mazda-CX-5-facelift-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2022-mazda-cx-5-45_1920x1080.webp

2022-mazda-cx-5-39_1600x0w.jpg

CX-50:
2022-Mazda-CX-50-6.jpg

495579-mazda-cx-50.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

2023-mazda-cx-50-front-three-quarters-1636998657.jpg

Personally, because I have the CX-9, I think I'd go with the CX-50 just to have something different. I really like the CX-5 but it's just too similar in looks to the CX-9. I like the CX-50 look, it's more rugged without going too overboard IMO (specifically the blue one shown above).

If I didn't have the CX-9, I would get the CX-5 for sure.

CX-50 reminds me of Subaru, designed for off road driving or for those who want to pose as an off road driver.

Personally, because I have the CX-9, I think I'd go with the CX-50 just to have something different. I really like the CX-5 but it's just too similar in looks to the CX-9. I like the CX-50 look, it's more rugged without going too overboard IMO (specifically the blue one shown above).

If I didn't have the CX-9, I would get the CX-5 for sure.

I sort of feel the same way, if a second car. I voted CX5 but then changed to 50. It's close for me.

But then I read the OPs post again, and just on looks, if it's the version with the slim spoke wheels and a darker colour to hide the cladding a bit such as the blue one being posted in this thread, I'd go CX-50. If lower versions with the rugged wheels (I assume that's the lower version?), I'd go CX5. Lower model CX5s look really great relative to upper models, which isn't always the case with vehicles.

I know, I'm waffling. It would be a hard choice for me, I bet I'd second guess myself if I bought one.

I don't like the black hood decals but some pics are showing a matte transparent finish showing the actual paint color and it seems not all trims or colors get the hood decals. Let's wait for the official specs to be announced as the pics could be an artist rendition or pre-production models.

If I were to buy one, I guess I could always ask the dealer to remove the decals for free as part of the deal or I remove them myself with a hair dryer then clean up the adhesive residue if any 💡

Personally, because I have the CX-9, I think I'd go with the CX-50 just to have something different. I really like the CX-5 but it's just too similar in looks to the CX-9.
That's interesting, as I think the CX-50 does resemble to CX-9

Great thread, enjoying the commentary...I'm still not sure...I'm leaning towards the CX-50 at the moment mainly because I prefer the CX-50's elongated profile as well as the rear design. It's a tough choice though, the CX-5 is very attractive as well.

@dougal is there any info you can tell about these photos? Do you know its trim ...i can't wait to learn about what's standard on what trim - particular the interior colors options, panoramic roof, ground clearance, and a long shot..wireless airplay? etc

It's hard to tell from pictures but cx50 does not seem be lower that CX5 as they said
That's true, was thinking the same, but wondering if the ground clearance was raised almost as much as a lowered the roof then the height remains about the same? ..just a guess, but what two beautiful choices..

Last edited:
Woah…Seeing those pics of the CX-50 next to the CX-5 really drives home how bold the CX-50 design is…Especially that frontend, wow what a contrast. Where the CX-5 frontend is sleek and taut, the 50 is bold and broad…I wouldn’t be surprised if the CX-50 becomes an even bigger hit than the CX-5 in the US.

Back