Backup Camera is completely dead!

:
2014 CX-5 GS AWD
My mothers 2014 CX-5 has a backup camera from the factory, being the mid level GS (Touring) trim. Back in December, the camera was a bit fuzzy and grainy, even with a clean lense. It went away after a week, but just within this week, the camera screen started flashing and really glitching out like an old TV with bad reception. Now the screen is pitch black. Not even trajectory lines. It just has the disclaimer saying "check surroundings" where it usually does, on an otherwise, pitch black screen. Anyone have this issue? It's going in for the appt tomorrow, I'm just wondering whats happening.

Earlier this week mine blue screened on reverse. Shifting to Park and back brought it back. The line overlays are actually built into the camera. Most likely it's a loose and/or dirty connector. Should be a simple fix. I mean to take the hatch's panel off to check it out soon, another forum member did that, cleaned it up and fixed it.

There is a TSB on '13s. Do you have an early '14 model? If not beyond factory warranty I would take in to get fixed.

Earlier this week mine blue screened on reverse. Shifting to Park and back brought it back. The line overlays are actually built into the camera. Most likely it's a loose and/or dirty connector. Should be a simple fix. I mean to take the hatch's panel off to check it out soon, another forum member did that, cleaned it up and fixed it.
Yep, I did that a few months ago and sprayed terminal cleaner in the connectors and haven't had a glitch since. Highly recommend it. Same symptoms.

Yep, I did that a few months ago and sprayed terminal cleaner in the connectors and haven't had a glitch since. Highly recommend it. Same symptoms.

How much did you have to remove to get at connectors?

It is an early '14. She bought it second hand from a Mazda dealer and the original owner bought it in mid 2013. We'll see what the dealer says.

How much did you have to remove to get at connectors?
All the rear panels have to come off the hatch, start at the top and work your way down, easy job. Most come off by hand. Big bottom panel might need the help of a screwdriver, but I just pulled everything off.

For those interested: Went to the dealer they couldn't duplicate it since it decided to work for them. But when I started it and put it in reverse, it started glitch in out again. The service advisor confirmed it and sent a ticket to Mazda and I'll hear back from them Monday with an answer if they approve of the fix.

Update: It's covered under warranty, horray!

Last edited:
Back