Awd cx-5 Need help tire blown, 30k on tires. 1 new oem w/tire shredding or 4 cheepie?

peteo

:
CX-5 2014
I had a tire blow on my front passenger side and the dealer said it can not be repaired since the sidewall is blown. 4 new toyo a23 (oem) tires cost 1300 installed!
Now they said the tireware is too much on the other tires (29k miles, almost 2 years old) and with all wheel drive only one new tire could cause major issues down the road (thought they would still put only one new tire if I wanted). They also gave me another option of cheaper tires (tracMax) $150 each so around 700 for 4 fully installed. I have another option 1 new oem tire and have it shaved to match the other ones.
What I dont know is how along these oem tires are supposed to last. Search around it sounds like these are good tires and can last 60-65k that would give us another 2 years.
So what do you think I should do?

28k to 35k has seemed to be the normal for the CX5 stockers... Lots of better tires if you have a specific aspect that you want more of... treadwear, wet traction, noise, mpg, etc.

I had a tire blow on my front passenger side and the dealer said it can not be repaired since the sidewall is blown. 4 new toyo a23 (oem) tires cost 1300 installed!
Now they said the tireware is too much on the other tires (29k miles, almost 2 years old) and with all wheel drive only one new tire could cause major issues down the road (thought they would still put only one new tire if I wanted). They also gave me another option of cheaper tires (tracMax) $150 each so around 700 for 4 fully installed. I have another option 1 new oem tire and have it shaved to match the other ones.
What I dont know is how along these oem tires are supposed to last. Search around it sounds like these are good tires and can last 60-65k that would give us another 2 years.
So what do you think I should do?

You got 29,000 miles out of the OEM tires. I would be tempted to upgrade to some better tires. But $1300 sounds really steep. Maybe Boston is just more expensive? Or do you have a GT with 19" wheels? I specifically avoided the GT because it only came with 19" wheels.

First, I'd shop around for better pricing. The dealer can't be the lowest cost. Look at Tire Rack, go to a local tire store, etc.
I also don't see shaving a new tire to reduce it's life. I know that makes it cheaper now, but in the long run you're throwing away half the cost of the tire.
In my experience, tires rarely last as long as they are advertised. I also won't let the tread get as low as they say is OK since it extends stopping distance and reduces wet traction.

Prices are steep for sure. I've been pricing tires just for future reference for when the time comes. If you wanted to keep with the OE tires (not sure why . . . overpriced and mediocre at best) they are less than $1100 on tire rack for the 19". Even throwing in installation, that quoted price is high. Especially since there isn't any TPMS to service.

Tons of better options out there. And to be honest, I'm not sure that I would really trust most shops to shave a new tire to match either.

Prices are steep for sure. I've been pricing tires just for future reference for when the time comes. If you wanted to keep with the OE tires (not sure why . . . overpriced and mediocre at best) they are less than $1100 on tire rack for the 19". Even throwing in installation, that quoted price is high. Especially since there isn't any TPMS to service.

Tons of better options out there. And to be honest, I'm not sure that I would really trust most shops to shave a new tire to match either.

The tires are 269 on tirerack. the dealer is charging 15 for the install of each tire and 80 for the alignment. The rest is tax. So they are priced in line with other places, the tires are just expensive. They are good tires though. If you read around these forums people are expecting to get 60-65k out of them based on current wear they have. The problem with going with other tires I need a to buy 4 of them and even ok ones are 150+ So I'm talking at lest 700+ with install, alignment and taxes.
As far as shaving the tire, it's pretty easy if you have the machine to do it and you can use a tread depth tool to confirm that it matches the depth of other tires. But I do have concerns of a place getting tread width even. It just seems like a waste to discard 3 tires that still have around 50% (2 years if 60k is correct) of life left in them and I also don't want to spend 700+.

You got 29,000 miles out of the OEM tires. I would be tempted to upgrade to some better tires. But $1300 sounds really steep. Maybe Boston is just more expensive? Or do you have a GT with 19" wheels? I specifically avoided the GT because it only came with 19" wheels.

Yup GT with 19inch, 269 on tire rack

The tires are 269 on tirerack. the dealer is charging 15 for the install of each tire and 80 for the alignment. The rest is tax. So they are priced in line with other places, the tires are just expensive. They are good tires though. If you read around these forums people are expecting to get 60-65k out of them based on current wear they have. The problem with going with other tires I need a to buy 4 of them and even ok ones are 150+ So I'm talking at lest 700+ with install, alignment and taxes.
As far as shaving the tire, it's pretty easy if you have the machine to do it and you can use a tread depth tool to confirm that it matches the depth of other tires. But I do have concerns of a place getting tread width even. It just seems like a waste to discard 3 tires that still have around 50% (2 years if 60k is correct) of life left in them and I also don't want to spend 700+.

Just because you can get 60-65k expected miles on a tire does not necessarily make it a good tire. I would rather sacrifice tread life for better handling aspects. In the case of the CX-5, better all season control is do-able as well.

At Tirerack the Pirelli P7 is almost $100 cheaper per tire and per the treadwear rating, should last over twice as long as the stock Toyos. It has good reviews.

Flymo

My question is - Since the CX-5 AWD is an "on-demand" system - Why can't you just replace the tires in pairs without causing "issues" down the road. Might be worth a call to Mazda's 800 number and ask them about it.

Regards:
Oldengineer

What is the actual tread depth of the other 3 tires? If they are near their end of life now (regardless of what they are supposed to be) I would replace them vs. purchasing 1 new tire, then having it shaved down to the equivalent of 29,000 miles?

Put some trays under the front tires, and video a rear wheel burn out before you toss those old tires. And yes $267 is a rip off.

Back