AWD compared

I might believe the results if they had switched drivers and had all the drivers drive each car with every test. I don*t think this test is scientific at all.

someone needs to teach that Mazda guy how to drive..not sure who was more at fault, the car or the driver.

I might believe the results if they had switched drivers and had all the drivers drive each car with every test. I don*t think this test is scientific at all.

That's because it wasn't. They were all different drivers driving differently.

Last edited:
Quote Originally Posted by theplayer11 View Post

someone needs to teach that Mazda guy how to drive..not sure who was more at fault, the car or the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by JT2 View Post

That's because it wasn't. They were all different drivers driving differently.

For sure.
I agree it was frustrating to see the Mazda poking along only to make it more difficult in it's accomplishments and magnify slippage but the video / narrator clearly made it a point to mention the Mazda driver was following the rules.
At that point, I realized the 'test' was not designed to mash the accelerator and use speed and momentum to win a hill climb but to keep the demonstration more fair to the point of drivetrain / tires comparison.
Indeed, this became more of a driver comparison.

Had they policed the speed and path of vehicles, it would have been the contest they were trying to explore, not what driver caught the best part of turf for traction and punched it at the right time with equal parts of luck and skill.

Australian BASIC OFFROAD TEST - 10 SUVs compared.

Tests were: Offset Mogul, Chassis Rigidity and Log test.

Article
Video

Fair to say the CX-5 did excellent. RAV4 was a bit of a flop. The Tiguan failed the chassis flex test. The Subaru Forrester not surprisingly came out on top.

Australian BASIC OFFROAD TEST - 10 SUVs compared.

Tests were: Offset Mogul, Chassis Rigidity and Log test.

Article
Video

Fair to say the CX-5 did excellent. RAV4 was a bit of a flop. The Tiguan failed the chassis flex test. The Subaru Forrester not surprisingly came out on top.

I have yet to read a negative review of the CX-5, and I've read a lot of reviews and watched a ton of vids.

This is the first one I've seen of it being put through any off-road tests. All the other reviews are on pavement, and they test it as they would a passenger car (which is kind of interesting when reviewing an SUV). Reminds me of living outside of Washington DC and seeing new pickup trucks on the road, where were used for nothing more than commuting and picking up the annual Christmas tree.

I kinda cringe at the thought of driving my CX-5 through those conditions, but it's good to know it can handle it if need be.

Anything that has made me doubt my decision to buy a CX-5 has been extremely minor in nature.

I have yet to read a negative review of the CX-5, and I've read a lot of reviews and watched a ton of vids.

This is the first one I've seen of it being put through any off-road tests. All the other reviews are on pavement, and they test it as they would a passenger car (which is kind of interesting when reviewing an SUV). Reminds me of living outside of Washington DC and seeing new pickup trucks on the road, where were used for nothing more than commuting and picking up the annual Christmas tree.

I kinda cringe at the thought of driving my CX-5 through those conditions, but it's good to know it can handle it if need be.

Anything that has made me doubt my decision to buy a CX-5 has been extremely minor in nature.

And yet, if you watched one of their advertisements you would never realize that they win in almost every car shootout/review.

Last edited:

No doubt probably 95% of owners of these vehicles would never go 4WDing but good to know how capable they are in some light offroading conditions or when you get into some sticky situations when you happen to veer off the beaten track.

I always feel that extra confidence with the AWD when driving through loose gravel and unsealed roads on camping roadtrip holidays.

All I can say is that my CX-5 has never failed me when I needed it to perform be it severe winter weather (even at times without snow tires), or driving in the mountains when I used to live up there.

As for these videos...cool to see, but agree that I would never use my CX-5 for actual 4WD. That's Jeep and 4Runner territory. Now unpaved roads in the mountains as needed, going camping, whatever....sure.

Last edited:
And yet, if you watched one of their video's you would never realize that they win in almost every car shootout/review.

You do have to take some of them with a grain of salt.

There is an Edmunds review of the 2018 CX-5 that I have watched many times. The guy just gushes over the car. It was one of the reviews that got me seriously looking at the CX-5.

Then there's an Edmunds "Shootout" review on their test track between the Mazda, the Toyota and the Honda CUVs. There are 3 guys, each of which advocates for one of the CUVs and is behind the wheel while the other 2 are kibitzing passengers during each respective test drive. The original CX-5 guy was assigned one of the other cars, and while a passenger in the CX-5 test drive he starts to pick at it! (bang)

That being said, I continue to be amazed that this brand does not have more market presence. And none of those head-to-head reviews tell you the CR-V might require monthly oil changes.

Surprised they weren't aware of the off-road mode with TCS off. I am more than content with off-road capabilities of my CX-5. It has gone places I wouldn't think capable. I plan to source a skid plate from Europe if I can get my hands on one... just want to get the oil pan covered up.

CX-5 does really well IMO and I have a '12 GX 460 (Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Kakadu) w/mechanically center locked Torsen diff AWD, ATRAC and KDSS for increased stabilizer bar travel.

Remember if you get in an off-camber scenario with a wheel in the air and need extra traction a little brake goes a long way.

I always laugh when I see these kinds of tests. Who is dumb enough to drive these types in vehicles going up hill and or at an awkward angle in mud? The AWD that you see in this segment are primarily made to handle rain and some light snow. No sane person would ever drive a CUV like that in those types on conditions.

I always laugh when I see these kinds of tests. Who is dumb enough to drive these types in vehicles going up hill and or at an awkward angle in mud? The AWD that you see in this segment are primarily made to handle rain and some light snow. No sane person would ever drive a CUV like that in those types on conditions.

although those conditions were extreme, many owners certainly drive their SUVs in worse conditions than light snow.

While I agree about the whole off-road 4WD thing, the AWD should handle far more than "light" snow.

The approach angle isnt optimal on the CX5. No way did Mazda design it to tackle terrain a 4x4 Truck or Jeep Wrangler would that is obvious.
Rain/snow/gravel is what the target conditions they expect 99.9% of buyers to use this for. By taking away any (drive modes) they are telling you this isnt an off-roader.

Back