Average MPG less than 20mpg, am I alone?

I am at 6300 miles on my '21 GTR. I typically average around 20MPG as well on 93 octane gas. I had one long trip(~1000 miles) where I got close to 25MPG but that is by far the best I have seen. With primarily around town driving (and not "big city stop and go" either) I get around 20-21. Much less than my '19 GT which routinely got around 25-27MPG under identical conditions.

I am at 6300 miles on my '21 GTR. I typically average around 20MPG as well on 93 octane gas. I had one long trip(~1000 miles) where I got close to 25MPG but that is by far the best I have seen. With primarily around town driving (and not "big city stop and go" either) I get around 20-21. Much less than my '19 GT which routinely got around 25-27MPG under identical conditions.
I know it's slightly unrelated to the thread but I'm curious what you like about each engine since you've lived with both. I have the N/A and I love it but always wonder if the turbo would be awesome.. but I love revving the non turbo out at low speeds and idk if the turbo could do that

I have '17 CX5 GT (NA) and '22 CX5 Turbo.
The latter is much quicker at highway passing and more at ease at hill climbing under load.
The difference is obvious. (with 87 octane)
How much more I pay at the pump? I will know after a few fill-ups.

I have '17 CX5 GT (NA) and '22 CX5 Turbo.
The latter is much quicker at highway passing and more at ease at hill climbing under load.
The difference is obvious. (with 87 octane)
How much more I pay at the pump? I will know after a few fill-ups.
Agree. I have a 16 Touring and a 19 GTR. The turbo has more immediate power and no dead spots that I've noticed. There's certain speeds in the 16 when you press a little on the accelerator not much happens. It's probably the way the tranny is geared. You have to press harder to get it to move.
I think the 16 is a little more nimble in driving though.

I must say I’m a bit jazzed. After oil change changing the air filter my fuel light came on at 298. I rounded it up to 300. This is from someone coming from a hybrid.

I know it's slightly unrelated to the thread but I'm curious what you like about each engine since you've lived with both. I have the N/A and I love it but always wonder if the turbo would be awesome.. but I love revving the non turbo out at low speeds and idk if the turbo could do that
I love the turbo. The non turbo was fine too, but it certainly isn't what I would call "quick". The turbo is deceptively fast. Tons of torque right away (very diesel like in its power delivery). I would tell you to drive one and see what you think, but it is pretty addictive. When I got my '19 I wanted the GTR (I test drove both and decided on the GTR) but then the dealer pulled some BS and said they miscalculated the lease price on the GTR so I ended up going elsewhere and leased a GT. I had always planned on going to the GTR when the lease ended.

I would tell you to drive one and see what you think, but it is pretty addictive. /////. I had always planned on going to the GTR when the lease ended.
What I've said in many threads - most (okay everyone, I'm not saying all), after driving both, realie that the turbo is a hoot and hardly seems like the same car, and try to find a way to financially make it happen

What I've said in many threads - most (okay everyone, I'm not saying all), after driving both, realie that the turbo is a hoot and hardly seems like the same car, and try to find a way to financially make it happen
Guess I won't test drive it then.. I plan to keep my car till it runs no more. I am curious though, you say it's a hoot to drive, does it have as dramatic revs as the NA engine? Cause I love how stupidly sporty and loud the car is revving high.

Guess I won't test drive it then.. I plan to keep my car till it runs no more. I am curious though, you say it's a hoot to drive, does it have as dramatic revs as the NA engine? Cause I love how stupidly sporty and loud the car is revving high.
Nope- the neat thing about the turbo is the instant nature of power delivery. It runs out of steam at high rpms. The NA motor is completely different. The way it pushes you back in the seat is really impressive (as 320ft/lbs or torque should be).

I've gotten 31 mpg in our GTR during a 300 mile trip on mostly highway driving (not interstate). Lots of stop lights and we probably hit at least 50% red. Car was fully loaded with luggage and provisions plus two normal sized adults and one dog. Avg speed was around 62-65 mph.

Suburban driving is what really drops the mpg. Around the house I usually average about 22-23 mpg.

Just arrived at the end of a 1000 mile drive to daughters house. 2021 GT-R Turbo with 10j miles. Average 25.5 mpg. Mostly freeway cruise control set at around 7-8 over posted limit.

Just for fun, I decided to see how low I could get the mileage on my regular 55 km (35 mile) commute. This is mostly highway driving, and no "hypermiling" or driving ridiculously slowly, radar cruise set at 65mph, but regularly slowing down to 55'ish with traffic, but not stop & go. This was my best, at 6.1 L/100km (38.5 mpg) but I find it's pretty easy to get it down to mid-6's (~mid-30's mpg). 2017 CX-5 GT in Canada.

Attachments

• IMG_9666.jpg
    IMG_9666.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 96
Call it old man driving, but if you're hitting 4,000 rpm from a stop then you'll never get over 20 in city driving, IMO. People are just nuts. I can drive as bad fast as the next guy (I sometimes miss my 2005 & 2013 WRX's), but I noticed I've got to give it a decent amount of pedal to keep up with the standard mom-mobiles - not that I can't (easily), I just don't give it the beans like I used to.

Again, if you're hitting 4,000 rpm from a start before it shifts, you'll never get much above 20 miles per gallon - but like me, you'll enjoy more smiles per gallon

Yall must drive pretty conservatively (j/k), in the city/small roads I'm getting 20-22 MPG on my '22 non-turbo CX-5 :ROFLMAO:. Of course, I'm getting 32-35 MPG on my first 2 long highway cruises going 70-75mph so that's not so bad.

This is all from the fuel economy monitor, so take that for whatever it's worth. Haven't filled up yet so we'll see what it actually is when I do.

2019 CX-5 Signature Turbo, always use Costco premium 92 octane.

As title says, I'm only getting 18-19 mpg average. I tried to get some decent mileage, intentionally driving like an old man. Well, I'm an old man but it's just too far below the EPA rating. I usually drive 5-10 mile distance on surface road, in small city not much of traffic, occasional freeway driving to 25 miles or so. I expect more than 20 mpg or close to the EPA city rating. The CX-5 has 15,500 miles on it, am I still in break-in period? No other complaints. Oh, once drove 130 mile one way, I got just under 27 mpg on that trip.
Just purchased 2022 touring plus and having same disappointment. My average is 19 on 87 gas. My other car is Audi Q7 2.0 and that one gets better mpg while more power.

Just purchased 2022 touring plus and having same disappointment. My average is 19 on 87 gas. My other car is Audi Q7 2.0 and that one gets better mpg while more power.
Mileage will get better. After the first oil change ou should see an increase.

Back