Automobile Mag Reviews the 2010 Mazdaspeed3

The new Speed3 is a great evolution of the original car. I can't get used to that smiley face front end though. I wonder if enough public unrest about it will cause them to change it within the next couple model years. PS-Automobile Magazine is a great publication, one of my favorites.

I agree with Daily Driver...car def looks better in person than in the pics:cool:! Now let's get those windows tinted (I say that and I havent scheduled my damn appointment yet)!

i remind people the "smile" is functional, unlike the scoops, vents, and mail slots on a lot of cars today.

That's a great photo...

The photo at the top of the article is fantastic, really shows off the details of the metalwork along the doors and the integration of bumper and lights as well as the wheels. Those of you who think the design looks like the matrix are out of your minds. The Matrix doesn't have a quater of the subtle design details of this new style. Car looks much more expensive that it is.

Unlike other modern turbocharged engines with direct injection, the Speed 3's turbo takes its sweet old time spooling up, with practically no boost generated below 3000 rpm, no matter how long you wait. Lag is present in the midrange, too, even after redline shifts, and the turbo runs out of steam well before the engine's 6700-rpm redline.

Second through fifth gears in the six-speed manual transmission have been lengthened slightly in an effort to help this 3 put all its power to the ground. Also assisting is a limited-slip differential and engine programming that restricts output in the first three gears, depending on steering angle. You have to love a car that has so much power that its engine can't come off leash until fourth gear. We don't love the torque steer, though, which attempts to rip the steering wheel out of your hands under hard acceleration - even at highway speeds.
Have any of you guys noticed what they're talking about?:confused:

I think the lag they're talking about is when you shift, how the throttle plate closes, that's why people flatfoot shift.

The picture in the 3rd post, the new MS3 looks like a raptop.

Have any of you guys noticed what they're talking about?:confused:

ive not driven the 2010 although my friend just got one earlier this year and i've been begging him for a drive. i have driven the 2007 and although its slightly revised for 2010, i get the feeling its a similar experience with the turbo lag. while not noticable with my driving style, the torque comes in at 3000 rpm, so if youre hanging in the low speed corners and then gun it in a straight, you wont feel the boost until 3000, and the torque takes over from there. but 3000 rpm is pretty low anyway and it comes at you quickly which is prob why i dont notice it. the engine does run out of steam fairly sooner than you'd like from a turbo, however if you keep it within it's wide and flat sweet spot it shouldnt be a problem. i can't vouch for the torque steer, since this is my friend's ride i try not to push it *too* hard

I can't agree with this article at all, I just can't. I've been hard on the new MS3 myself, but I do get this turbo lag nonsense they speak of, especially the mid range comment. And the torque steer in the 2010 is practically non-existent to me. Maybe they can't drive, I don't know but it seems to be a lot of whinning about sillyness to me.

I also hate the fact the speed kills the power in the first three grears. I'd agree on first gear, but that's it. I spend most of my time in lower gears as I live in a small town and I'm not driving on freeways everywhere. So the extra power the MS3 has is almost useless to me depending on what road I'm on. But the time I get to 3rd gear, it's time to stop at the next sign and light. Where's the fun in that? Ideally I'd like to see power restricted to first gear, and second up until 3500 rpms, and let me have the rest of the power. Better yet, give me a button to turn off this restrictive handicap all together.

Last edited:
I can't agree with this article at all, I just can't. I've been hard on the new MS3 myself, but I do get this turbo lag nonsense they speak of, especially the mid range comment. And the torque steer in the 2010 is practically non-existent to me. Maybe they can't drive, I don't know but it seems to be a lot of whinning about sillyness to me.

I also hate the fact the speed kills the power in the first three grears. I'd agree on first gear, but that's it. I spend most of my time in lower gears as I live in a small town and I'm not driving on freeways everywhere. So the extra power the MS3 has is almost useless to me depending on what road I'm on. But the time I get to 3rd gear, it's time to stop at the next sign and light. Where's the fun in that? Ideally I'd like to see power restricted to first gear, and second up until 3500 rpms, and let me have the rest of the power. Better yet, give me a button to turn off this restrictive handicap all together.
I have owned a handful of quick/fast cars. (m3, sti, forester xt) I don't feel much power restriction at all in my 2010 speed3. My stage2 forester was the fastest to 30. Awd, quick spool, and 4.44FD will do that for you. The sti was fastest to 60. Awd, larger turbo, 300hp...makes sense. The m3 was barely slower than the sti. The speed3 is barely feels slower to 60 than any of that bunch. With tc off the tires scramble for traction. If there was any more power the tires would just roast. Fwd has it's limits. After 60, the speed3 honestly feels faster than all the others.

Back