CX-70 Driving event for reviewers in May

:
2018 CX-9 GT
Was just watching this video and they mentioned Mazda will be holding a CX-70 driving event for reviewers in May.

We can expect driven reviews to come out after.

That was a bit of a surprise to me because I assumed the CX-70 would drive exactly like the CX-90 since it is supposed to only have cosmetic changes and the third row removed.

See video at 14:56

IMG_0713.png

Last edited:
I think the driving dynamics and reviews will be near identical - not holding my breath, BUT if Mazda really wanted to engage with the enthusiast side for the sportier CX-70, they would have done some tuning work on the transmission to yield some crisper, faster and sportier performance - highly doubt that will be the case. It will just be a CX-90 in drive feel. I don't even think the lack of 3rd row seats will feel notably different, doubt the weight savings is truly enough to notice without maybe a true side by side comparison, if even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd5lU-REnyI&ab_channel=SamCarLegion

I don't really like this guy's reviews, but he drove a PHEV 70. I'm really looking forward to any other reviewers thoughts, but thought I'd throw this out there

Yeah, I don't really like his reviews either after seeing one review where he kept making a big deal about commenters asking if the Mazda he was testing had 87 or 93 octane fuel. It was like he was making fun of those people for wanting him to clarify, he came off pompous and arrogant. There are many other reviewers who are much more thorough.

Yeah, I don't really like his reviews either after seeing one review where he kept making a big deal about commenters asking if the Mazda he was testing had 87 or 93 octane fuel. It was like he was making fun of those people for wanting him to clarify, he came off pompous and arrogant. There are many other reviewers who are much more thorough.
I think I know which review you had in mind - is it the one when he was comparing CX9 to Acura MDX and MDX barely won the drag race by literally a smidge and he was prizing this as a big achievement and complaining about CX9, how small it is and how slow it is. Conveniently he did not mention the price difference and the fuel rate:confused: .

Well he does not make any sense in this CX70 review. Someone already pointed it out how much he was complaining about CX90 in his previous review and now all of a sudden this car is so much bigger with so much space:unsure:. Being pompous is one thing but get you facts straight and be objective otherwise it is just your subjective, personal opinion without much sense and meaningful input.

I think the driving dynamics and reviews will be near identical - not holding my breath, BUT if Mazda really wanted to engage with the enthusiast side for the sportier CX-70, they would have done some tuning work on the transmission to yield some crisper, faster and sportier performance - highly doubt that will be the case. It will just be a CX-90 in drive feel. I don't even think the lack of 3rd row seats will feel notably different, doubt the weight savings is truly enough to notice without maybe a true side by side comparison, if even.
At this point, I am still guessing at the position in the "upper end" segment Mazda is going for and whether that will be a winning position on not. I agree that these things need to be livelier in their performance and dynamics. Had they cut 10 or 12 inches and 400lbs off the 3-Row CX-90 and compared it to a BMW X5 I think now you might have something. Unfortunately, the 3.3 liter is tuned to mild. And the Mazda transmission is as soft compared to the ZF 8sp Torque Converter (X5) and the ZF is to the Porsche PDK. It is a nice vehicle, most of the pieces are there on paper, but the result is just blah!

Back