Automatic transmission surge

Z

Zoom5

Hey everyone my Pro5 has just over 3000 miles on it, every once in a while the transmission surges, like a sudden loss of power but the transmission doesnt down shift....almost like holding the gas steady while crusing and stepping on the brakes simutaneously(spell check) for a quick second.Anyone else have this problem? so far it only happened 3 times.Thanks all!

Zoom5, the same thing has happened to me quite a few times, and i have under 3000 miles. I havent figured out why it does it.

Hey all,
I now have over 9300 miles on my MP5, but I've had that same trouble with it since I got it. I took it in to Mazda to have it looked at and they told me everything was fine. I took it back about a month later and they treated me like I was crazy. Needless to say, I'm not too thrilled with the Mazda dealerships here in Wisconsin.

Could you guys be more specific about the problem? I also have an auto, but i would like to see if it happens to me.

i.e. RPM, speed, driving conditions, etc. when this occurs.

Thanks.

douggie, for me it usually happens at about 25-45 mph. under modest acceleration, for no reason at all, not necessarily uphill or down hill. Definately something you won't expect, sorry to hear that others have this problem. I'm glad I'm not the only one. If everyone with this plroblem can give a discription of how this "surge" occurs maybe we can show MAZDA our concern and get something done about it. Thanks for all the replies.
P.S. I still love the way the car drives, and have no regrets of buying this car. :)

I'm having problems with my Auto transmission also... it seems when i let off the acclerator at 20 or over it makes a terrible noise.... i also just had a cv joint repaired... i think i got a lemon.. :mad:

Zoom5, thanks for the problem description. I'll keep an eye out for it and see if it happens.

NopiP5.... ouch, already repaired a CV joint? wow, you must have turning those corners pretty hard. But i guess at least it's under warrany. Just the trouble of bringing it there to be serviced.

hmm, NopiPro5, that doesn't sound good :( I used to drive a VW Beetle, and it started making weird noises over 30km/h, and i only drove it to get home after the sounds came up. I called VW, they told me to bring it in to get fixed, and it ended up costing $10k!!! That's why I ended up with the P5 ..

Anyways, I drive an auto P5 with 1000km. Luckily, no tranny problems yet.

On recent trip, cruising at around 50mph, a split second abrupt loss of power to the wheels followed by an abrupt resumption. I thought I had run over a rut in the road, it was that quick and abrupt. But I felt like it was a disengagement of the transmission and quick reengagement. Like the teeth of the gears lost their grip and reengaged. Anyway, I had about 3700 miles on it then. Now have 4000 miles. No problems since. Nor any before. Only happened once so far. Still, it could have been a joint in the road I hit, or a rut. That is how quickly it happened. :confused:

hmmmmm ive driven sevral p5's and havent seen that problem with the transmission, but i should look into that

I'm still observing whether it happens. But if happens so quickly and resumes, it might be hard to notice.

So does the RPM decrease/increase when this happens?

I didn't notice but all I took was a 20 minute test drive :(

On this note, I'm wondering what people's opinions are on the protege5 automatic so far. I _have_ to get an auto b/c family members can't drive stick, and odds are i'm going to kill myself one day kicking into reverse at 80km, knowing my retardedness. All the reviews I've seen are (understandably) of the manual.

Well.. sorry i ahvemnt been on the board latly.. My car is now stuck in either 1st or 2nd gear when i put it in drive it acts like it is in neutral. so my car is going back to mazda hopfully it will be under warrenty... Other than that... i painted my stock rims black... they look real good with the yellow.... talk to you all later..

I've had the "sudden loss of power" problem that everybody has been describing. You know when it happens because it jerks you...almost feels like you ran over a small bump. I have a little over 7000 miles on it now and I've experienced it probaly 3 times between now and 3000 miles. It's been awhile since it's happened.

I got a surge problem too. When i release the accelerator to cruise i get a jerk, but it's rpm specific!!! When i release the accelerator & RPM reaches 1500 it just drops to 1000 real fast, sp fast you get a jerk. Now that's not a nice feeling in traffic.
2003 BJ 1.6L ZM-DE Auto
Any solutions?

ooooooo, 8 year old bump, cool...........did not know the archives went that far back.

Back