Automatic Transmission Fluid - Can you change it?

Car kiosk shows that the air intake housing needs to be removed for the dipstick to be accessed.

Anyone have any thoughts on why my transmission fluid is clear versus the reported blue color? I wonder if the dye isn't being put in the fluid since they believe most will treat as a lifetime fluid on an item that won't ever be serviced?

Seems really strange to have clear fluid. Having a clear fluid might make it hard to identify should it ever leak.

Anyone have any thoughts on why my transmission fluid is clear versus the reported blue color? I wonder if the dye isn't being put in the fluid since they believe most will treat as a lifetime fluid on an item that won't ever be serviced?

Don't worry. You can't tell the color by the little bit of fluid on the dipstick. I checked the ATF in my 2014 Mazda6 and thought it was clear too, but then I drew some out with a syringe and tube and it is the blue ATF FZ.

IMG_4271_zps35f9d0bf.jpg~original

IMG_4274_zps520851c3.jpg~original

I am going to believe what Mazda is saying about not needing to be changed unless a leak or some problem. I usually keep my vehicles for ~ 100K miles. ed

Is sucking it out through the dip stick hole almost the same as drain and fill? I'll probably do this every 30k miles. I don't believe in life time fluid.

I don't think there is a trap door there IIRC so dropping the entire front splash shield would probably make job easier. It might make it easier to refill in the dipstick hole as well from the bottom. When the time comes I might look into seeing if there is a Fumoto valve that would work there. This would definitely help with future changes in determining how much you needed to re-add after draining.

Ofc there is a drain plug... there are a/t change tutorials on this forum too.

Here's a post I made some time ago. Instructions from the service manual. Yes, there is a drain plug.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ou-change-it&p=6250345&viewfull=1#post6250345

I'm buying a 2015 MINI Cooper Hardtop F56, and that doesn't seem to have a drain plug though. Either that, or nobody found anything yet. BMW also claims lifetime fluid. I think BMW means 4 years / 50k miles because that's when the warranty ends.

Thanks. My reference to post#16 was incorrect and not related to drain plug.

Last edited:
I'd probably go more like 100K between automatic fluid changes. I had 235K miles on my 95 Ford Taurus, and I don't remember ever changing the fluid on it.

Anyone use other fluid then the MAZDA FZ? The Mazda is $15/qt on amazon..... will call a dealer to confirm. Amsoil claims AMSOIL OE Multi Vehicle is a compatible fluid.

Anyone use other fluid then the MAZDA FZ? The Mazda is $15/qt on amazon..... will call a dealer to confirm. Amsoil claims AMSOIL OE Multi Vehicle is a compatible fluid.

Also curious if anybody has attempted to use a compatible fluid.

Is the PN available for both the drain plug and washer, seeing as Mazda recommends replacing both?

It's a bad idea to use anything other than the Mazda fluid. Changing the fluid is of very questionable utility, and doing so with anything other than the OEM fluid is really asking for trouble.

check out this TSB:
http://www.rx8club.com/attachments/...kyactiv-drive-6-speed-automatic-transaxle.pdf

If an ATF other than ATF-FZ is used in the SKYACTIV-DRIVE AT, the performance and reliability
cannot be guaranteed. The resulting damage will not be covered by warranty.

Last edited:
Exchanging any fluid at all seems to be an unsettled undertaking here.

I personally tend to support the manufacturers claim of "lifetime" fill.
Though, lifetime is subjective, and I think 100K miles is the threshold for me.

However, I am willing to exchange some fluid (whatever fully drains from the pan) and have it analyzed, to see exactly where we stand at about 50k miles (where my wife's CX-5 is currently sitting), for the good of the community.

It's a bad idea to use anything other than the Mazda fluid. Changing the fluid is of very questionable utility, and doing so with anything other than the OEM fluid is really asking for trouble.

check out this TSB:
http://www.rx8club.com/attachments/...kyactiv-drive-6-speed-automatic-transaxle.pdf

Nissan is the same way requiring Nissan Matic or they could deny warranty claim in the Infiniti vehicles anyway. Even though I am a diehard Amsoil user I have bent to using the Mazda moly oil and will use the Mazda AT as well.

Exchanging any fluid at all seems to be an unsettled undertaking here.

I personally tend to support the manufacturers claim of "lifetime" fill.
Though, lifetime is subjective, and I think 100K miles is the threshold for me.

However, I am willing to exchange some fluid (whatever fully drains from the pan) and have it analyzed, to see exactly where we stand at about 50k miles (where my wife's CX-5 is currently sitting), for the good of the community.

Does Blackstone do AT fluid testing or are you using someone else? I've only ever used them for motor oil.

Back