Autocross??

TurfBurn

:
'01 Yellow MP3 #1026
Has anybody been autocrossing their MS6 and how has it fared? With year end approaching I'm thinking about selling off my MP3 and buying an MS6, but I autocross a fair bit and want to make sure it is competitive in the stock classes etc.

Later!

Steve

I have ran mine 6 times this year and let me tell you the tires suck. They grip alright but I have 8500 miles on the car and the tires will be worn down to nothing in the next month.(pissed)

As for how competative the MS6 is....well it's not. The car might do better with a better driver, this is my first season racing and I can't even touch the Protege's. They run 2+ seconds faster than me all the time. Those Protege's just handle really good. The MS6 falls in the SCCA DS class. Mine is in the STU class because of the CAI, with the EVO's and STI's. Believe it or not I have a better chance of keeping up with the EVO's and STI's than I do with the Protege's. I'll get back to you and let you know how the car does after I get all my suspension parts and run some events.

I'd have to say the main problems are:

1. The MS6 handles great on the road but on a tight Auto-X course it likes to push a lot in the corners.

2. The clutch is a weak point, this has already been discussed, so to help save it I don't downshift back to 1st unless I have a 180 degree corner. This just kills the car when you come out of a 90 degree corner in 2nd at 1500 RPM with NO boost.

I cannot even remotely imagine the MS6 as an autocross car. I admit I'm a little partial due to previous and current cars I've owned and raced either at auto x ot 1/4 mile drag (RX8 and STI). I now only own an S2000 for that. The MS6 is purely a daily driver, and I can't imagine using it like the previous cars I've owned, whether it be 1/4 mile drag or auto x. I suppose the 6 can still be fun, and mods can really help a lot, but the body roll on this heavy machine is insane. I'm still adapting to it's big midsize feel and my major downgrade in power and handling, so forgive me. ;) It is one hell of a nicely equipped, smooth and sexy daily driver though. I love cruising to work, and out on the town, and to run errands, but it's never gonna see the track, because it's just not meant for it IMO. :)

Last edited:
Wiggum said:
With an experienced driver the MS6 is a very good AutoX car, because it falls in DS/DP....

The only problem is that the MSP's and SRT-4's also fall in the same class. And those cars handle WAY BETTER than the MS6 in stock configurations.

jdub260 said:
The only problem is that the MSP's and SRT-4's also fall in the same class. And those cars handle WAY BETTER than the MS6 in stock configurations.

I don't think the SRTs are anything to really worry about. At least the non-ACR versions. They are about the worst handling car in DS. The MS6 will have a tough time keeping up with Integra TypeR, but if you can get it to rain you might be pretty competitive.

I maintain that with the right tires and a few suspension modifications the MS6 will be a competative car in the STU class. I will post the split times between me and the others in the STU class after I get all my suspension parts on and run the next event. I won't have my springs untill after the next event but I will have the front and rear braces and sway bars installed. Those parts shuld help to bridge the gap between me and everyone else in the STU class.

As far as DS I don't think you can compete with this car. The class is full of cars that just flat out handle better in tight turns. For the MS6 to really be effective you need to stretch it's legs or get the boost to come on at 1500rpm which would take you out of DS. Then there is always R compound tires but that's too expensive for the average person.

Back