Auto climate control A/C

:
2016.5 Mazda CX 5 Grand Touring W/ Tech PKG
It does not matter what the outside temperature is reading weather it's 89 like it was a few months ago or lately 50 degrees outside when ever I press the "auto" on the left knob center for the climate control (Grannd touring) it will set the fan speed and vent control and that's great, love that... However it always, always turns on the A/C as well even at 50 degrees out side. Now I totally understand that I want the A/C on when it's humid and wet inside and out as it will help defog the windows and dry out the air. As I've been doing for years. But even when it's not wet outside or hot the A/C is on when using the auto climate control.

Is this the same for you as well..? I've been on longer drives and it never shut off itself. (Turning of the A/C part).

And I'd never use "Auto" mode in Automatic Climate Control system.

It does not matter what the outside temperature is reading weather it's 89 like it was a few months ago or lately 50 degrees outside when ever I press the "auto" on the left knob center for the climate control (Grannd touring) it will set the fan speed and vent control and that's great, love that... However it always, always turns on the A/C as well even at 50 degrees out side. Now I totally understand that I want the A/C on when it's humid and wet inside and out as it will help defog the windows and dry out the air. As I've been doing for years. But even when it's not wet outside or hot the A/C is on when using the auto climate control.

Is this the same for you as well..? I've been on longer drives and it never shut off itself. (Turning of the A/C part).

Granted the "AC" mode is active, it doesn't necessarily mean it is engaged (unless in defrost mode at certain temperatures). Pressing the AC mode to deactivate it will also result in the mode to be overridden- the AC will be off at all temperatures meanwhile the fan speed and vent direction is in auto.

This is my third vehicle with automatic climate control, and they all act the same. Though some may manage a comfortable combination of fan speed and air temperature a bit better than others.

Last edited:
Granted the "AC" mode is active, it doesn't necessarily mean it is engaged (unless in defrost mode at certain temperatures). Pressing the AC mode to deactivate it will also result in the mode to be overridden- the AC will be off at all temperatures meanwhile the fan speed and vent direction is in auto.

This is my third vehicle with automatic climate control, and they all act the same. Though some may manage a comfortable combination of fan speed and air temperature a bit better than others.

Yeah to me all auto climate controls work the same way despite any make. That said I really like to have a knob with a tactile feel to it for manual adjustments better. Strictly manual AC units seem to be snappier than auto ones to me. Maybe its the placebo affect.

Do not worry, the AC Compressor has a temperature lockout safety and will not engage below a certain outside temperature. I personally manually disengage it though below 45F unless I need defrost. Pressing auto and selecting a temperature is all you really need to do if you want to let the sensors do their job.

Back