Slow to Warm Up (2017 CX-5)

I have the same problem on my Volvo, slow to warm up; getting bad gas mileage due to short trips. Thermostat is probably bad, as well as the coolant temp sensor (one of the many on this car). The ECU kept thinking the engine was overheating so it kept the radiator fan running. Fix was to disconnect the radiator fan. Warms up much better now, with 45degrees temp outside).

I have the same problem on my Volvo, slow to warm up; getting bad gas mileage due to short trips. Thermostat is probably bad, as well as the coolant temp sensor (one of the many on this car). The ECU kept thinking the engine was overheating so it kept the radiator fan running. Fix was to disconnect the radiator fan. Warms up much better now, with 45degrees temp outside).
Probably ought to fix the problem before the car really does overheat due to the radiator fan being disconnected.

LoL, i've also disconnected the alarm because the battery is dead.
My temps stay right where they are, no change from before. When summer comes around, reconnect it. But this is a Mazda forum, not Volvo.

Wow. 45 degrees isn't even cold. I can’t imagine a liquid cooled engine not overheating at that temperature.

Changing fluids more often is always a good thing.

We check th PH of the coolant from time to time. If the PH changes, more acidity, it's to change the coolant.

Off subject, what is the water pump life on the 2.5l?

Our last car, 2.4l Honda WP was still good at 120,000 miles. On the other hand the WPs on a 5.9 Cummins is 50 to 100k. I own a spare WP for the Cummings and carry tools. I'm on my 3rd WP after 265k...

Further off subject! Are folks changing out brake fluid around a 100k or 5 years?

Thanks

IIRC... I think I have only heard 1 or 2 outlier water pump failures so couldn't really tell you the service life with any accuracy.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 2.05.19 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 2.05.26 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 2.05.36 PM.png

I just made a 1200 mile trip and my Scangauge was showing 177 for the coolant. I made a short charge up a grade and I saw 179 but it returned to 177. The outside temperature was in the low 40's and I had the heat on but without running the fan. I haven't gotten any codes and it warms up from a cold start fast enough, but I wonder if there is something off here.

I have a 23 Mazda CX five and I use the app remote start when the weather is 30° degrees or lower. I usually let it run for 10 minutes usually less and by the time I get out there the temp gauge is quarter of the way up I find that, it makes the car warmer faster. I usually wait until the car is fully warmed up before giving it above 3k rpm’s. If I forget to remote start the car, and the theme is 30degrees or colder, the car feels sluggish and I baby it keeping RPMs below 2k RPMs unless needed.

There is a TSB with lots of revisions since 2021 but usually has an accompanying DTC ....
The first TSB on this (too-long-warmup) issue was actually issued on Feb 2020, and Mazda has been working on this exact same problem ever since the first coolant control valves were installed on the 2018 CX-5. So it's nothing short of astonishing that the problem has actually become quite a bit worse over time, and is now being seen much more frequently on MY 2021 and newer NA/CD models than it was on the earlier year CDs. Just one more (very good) reason for a buyer to choose the non-CD version, if buying a 2024 CX-5.

Just as a data point, my NA took a while, too. The turbo is quite a bit faster to get warm air blowing. It's definitely not something I considered when debating the car.
Just read back on this and wanted to clarify; while I notice my turbo car heating up faster, the NA did not have the problem described in the TSB and operated normally.

Is this saying all bottles of FL22 made after 2019 have a higher rust inhibitor concentration? Interesting.

Back