Australians buying diesels in record numbers

With the 2.5L giving me about 29 in mixed the diesel looks good for rural areas or folks doing a lot of highway commute. In city - the 2.5L rules. I think the diesel might pull 33 combined but that wont be enough to offset the cost and you dont need that torque on primarily flat city roads. In country - yes that would be nice to have for towing and ease of driving on roller coaster roads.
All reviewers here say 2.2 diesel is good if you do regular towing or long distance travel. For city/urban driving, 2.5 petrol is the way to go

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I ask: when will the US catch up with us Aussies?!

Leading the way, out in front as usual, waiting for you guys.....

Diesels rule, OK!!

My brother who has a 2012 GT diesel CX5 has just got back from a 21 day round trip through central and western Queesland. He went north along the coast to about Proserpine then inland thru Mt Surprise, Richmond, then south to Longreach and south again through to Lightning Ridge in NSW then Glen Innes and back to Brisbane. 2 POB and car fairly well loaded up with gear.

Covered about 6400kms about 600 of which was on gravel/dirt roads and a few short offroad runs into properties he visited. Most highway running was at 110km/hr.

Winter temps inland overnight were below zero with frosts most mornings, but daytime temps typically 30-32 degrees C.

No night time driving, too many roos, sheep and cattle on the roads. He said there were dead roos every couple hundred meters most of the way on the non-coastal section.(eek2)(eek2)

Averaged 7 litres per 100 kms.

He had a few near misses with dumb kangaroos or wallabies, took out 3 or 4 birds (mostly small pigeons) and collected a few scratches along the sides from bushes beside the tracks.

Last edited:
I ask: when will the US catch up with us Aussies?!

Leading the way, out in front as usual, waiting for you guys.....

Diesels rule, OK!!

My brother who has a 2012 GT diesel CX5 has just got back from a 21 day round trip through central and western Queesland. He went north along the coast to about Proserpine then inland thru Mt Surprise, Richmond, then south to Longreach and south again through to Lightning Ridge in NSW then Glen Innes and back to Brisbane. 2 POB and car fairly well loaded up with gear.

Covered about 6400kms about 600 of which was on gravel/dirt roads and a few short offroad runs into properties he visited. Most highway running was at 110km/hr.

Winter temps inland overnight were below zero with frosts most mornings, but daytime temps typically 30-32 degrees C.

No night time driving, too many roos, sheep and cattle on the roads. He said there were dead roos every couple hundred meters most of the way on the non-coastal section.(eek2)(eek2)

Averaged 7 litres per 100 kms.

He had a few near misses with dumb kangaroos or wallabies, took out 3 or 4 birds (mostly small pigeons) and collected a few scratches along the sides from bushes beside the tracks.
And what is it about this little story that demonstrates how Aussies are so far ahead of us Yanks??

I don't think the story is meant to prove anything.
But we are clearly behind many nation's in a lot of ways though. Let's just start with Universal Healthcare. :)

I don't think the story is meant to prove anything.
But we are clearly behind many nation's in a lot of ways though. Let's just start with Universal Healthcare. :)

Hey at least our education is not behind a lot of countries...oh wait:(

And what is it about this little story that demonstrates how Aussies are so far ahead of us Yanks??

Apparently it demostrates, if nothing else, that you dont know "tongue in cheek" when you see it. Sheesh.....

You stated we Aussies are "out of step". I said we are out in front..... its a matter of perspective

But as far as that goes, I could also mention the recent Aus world record for, I think it was, 26 years of continuous positive economic growth....

Last edited:
Hey at least our education is not behind a lot of countries...oh wait:(

(wedge)

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40708421?SThisFB

How Canada became an education superpower

_97072931_canada150.jpg

When there are debates about the world's top performing education systems, the names that usually get mentioned are the Asian powerhouses such as Singapore and South Korea or the Nordic know-alls, such as Finland or Norway.

But with much less recognition, Canada has climbed into the top tier of international rankings.

In the most recent round of international Pisa tests, Canada was one of a handful of countries to appear in the top 10 for maths, science and reading.
The tests, run by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), are a major study of educational performance and show Canada's teenagers as among the best educated in the world.

They are far ahead of geographical neighbours such as the US and European countries with strong cultural ties like the UK and France.

At university level, Canada has the world's highest proportion of working-age adults who have been through higher education - 55% compared with an average in OECD countries of 35%.

More...

So Australia > USA and then Canada comes and pawns everyone? Is that correct?

I would of bought the Diesel too if it was offered ...
I personally don't drive long distance and live in the city ...
I guess I just like the low-mid range torque...

I think Mazda can do wonders if they would like add a 48 volt system
to their existing fleet for better mpg/driving performance(low end torque)

A full hybrid system or full electric maybe the future ... but its years away plus extra $
while a mild hybrid solution could be a mid-cycle refresh away to complement existing
petrol engines to turn those vehicles into mild-hybrids.

I would of bought the Diesel too if it was offered ...
I personally don't drive long distance and live in the city ...
I guess I just like the low-mid range torque...

I think Mazda can do wonders if they would like add a 48 volt system
to their existing fleet for better mpg/driving performance(low end torque)

A full hybrid system or full electric maybe the future ... but its years away plus extra $
while a mild hybrid solution could be a mid-cycle refresh away to complement existing
petrol engines to turn those vehicles into mild-hybrids.

Next gen maybe.

Probably not.. atleast from the beginning with hybrid

No not from the beginning. But one would think they've considered adding it later in it's model cycle and hence are engineering/designing for the possibility.

Back